1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by thailandceltic, Aug 30, 2021.

Discuss Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

Wow most not signed on the last day? Some of them even starters?

We're spoiled.

Imagine what we could've done if we'd sold £40m+ of players since January.

Oh wait..

The Phoenix likes this.
  2. wulliebad

It was you that made the point about signing some players on the last day of the window.And yes first team starters,that is a change from mostly projects who we hope come good in the first team. At times we are spoilt,go look at what other clubs in our league are doing,what they are spending.Most of scotland is living hand to mouth and its only celtic and rangers traveling fans who keep them afloat. Over 20 million spent in this window,that is not pocket change.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We have but remember the Manager doesnt. Imagine you just went to Australia to manage a team or anywhere and took over a team you knew little to nothing about, you aren't going to discard or write off players after 20 training sessions and 10 games. You'd want to see everyone playing and be around them for a while, get to know them personally more and all that plus you'd need to see them play quite a lot to judge how consistent they are or if they are improving their understanding on how you want to play and all that type of stuff.

If we brought in McInnes or a guy like that he'd have known a lot about us and all our players and would likely know who he never rated and who he would want to sign before he even had the job.

It doesn't really matter that Kennedy and McManus and other guys have been aroud a long time either as they are hardly going to say to the manager "Taylors a bit pish" as the manager might like him or say some players are good as the managers won't like them. They're probably still working each other out.

By January he will have been working with the staff and players for 6 month and seen the mentality and form of everyone over 30 odd games you'd think by then he would know far better what he really needs.

4. GavCFC1

Welcome thing for me is every player signed 4 or 5 year contract (exception of Hart on a 3 year). And even the loans both include options to buy. Forward planning for a change, our circumstances with contracts recently has been a shambles

5. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Could have done with a big physical, athletic midfielder to replace Christie and add some dig. Apart from that, not bad

Orsenfelt likes this.
  6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    5 year contracts make sense for every decent money signing under the age of say 28 as it's really rare that a guy who was * would sit out a contract for years just to collect money epsecially one still in their 20s. Even if Bolingoli, Shved and Barkas had 5 years left on their contracts they'd still almost certainly leave by the end of this season.

For guys like Scales 3 years would be fine since we are probably unsure if he will cut it but for guys expected to play its very unlikely for it to ever go wrong.

You'd rather have had Ajer, Dembele, Edouard, Turnbull, Christie, Boyata etc on 5 year contracts than what happened. Even if it meant Barkas, Boli and all that got them as well.

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye by the end of January we should be looking pretty good..

Won't have a list of wantaways, contracts running down or loads of loan's expiring with nothing to fall back on..

We're short, but we're going in the right direction..

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Thats what I think, this window has really been about getting bodies in the door and filling the squad back up rather than "improving" the team.

We've just lost Ajer, Duffy, Elhamed, Frimpong, Laxalt, Brown, Ntcham, Christie, Elyounoussi, Klimala, Griffiths, Edouard and needed a lot of guys and when the manager doesn't even really have a good understanding of our current players.

From now on given he'll have 4 months to work with these guys, thats when we will probably target quality to improve the team.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I'm hoping we won't be stretched too much and can make it to January in good enough shape...then bring in a few additions to improve us that Ange has earned marked, like 1 or 2 from the J League potentially..

Hammy89 likes this.
  10. JamesM09

I've tried to reply to this post a few times now but I'm genuinely lost for words. I can't believe we're saying the assistants can't give the manager an honest run down on players - and we're just accepting that situation without criticism. We're genuinely saying we should proceed knowing the squad isn't strong enough just so Ange has time to come to that conclusion on his own in January.

Absolute madness.

What a shock Ange is going to get when he finds out Forrest and MJ have pretty serious recurring injury problems, leaving him with 2 teenagers to play RW (one of which is injured, btw) for the next 25 or so games. Of course, signing RW is nearly impossible. Did you see how tough it was to buy a RB ?!

That squad should easily have another 2-3 players in it to cover for things like injuries, dips in form etc. It was predicted throughout the window that if we didn't get a move on we'd be struggling, now here we are and I'm now told we need to wait until January.

Could someone queue the, "Well, January is a difficult time to buy.." comments please?

bhoy81 and The Phoenix like this.
  11. JamesM09

How much is a Motherwell season ticket? Ross County?

Mate £20 million spent isn't a lot when you've received £45 million :56:Don't be silly now.

bhoy81 likes this.
  12. Buster

In addition to the new players signed we also got “like new” players in…….

Ralston and Tommy (new name as well) Rogic

13. xDanCFCx

Over the next 2 Windows I’d like our squad to look something like

GK - Hart, New GK, Bain

RB - Juranovic, Ralston, O’Connor/New RB

CB - Jullien, CCV, Starfelt, Welsh, New CB, Urhoghide

LB - New LB, Scales, Montgomery

CDM - New CDM, McCarthy, Shaw

CM - McGregor, Soro, Turnbull, Luca Connell, New CM X2

CAM - Rogic

RW - Forrest, Abada, Dembele

ST - Kyogo, Giakoumakis, Ajeti, New ST

LW - Jota, Mikey Johnstone, New LW

Sell - Barkas, Hazard, Bitton, Taylor, Bolingoli, Ewan Henderson, Alofabi

bhoy81 and seanm like this.
  14. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    A lot of people on here are hyping up this squad/window.

It's okay if people want to have a positive mindset, but there's also no need to defend the board/club where they have let us down.

Some on here are hyping up Jota for example, from what I've seen he's got 1 foot and no finish, can't cross. Others hyping up the Greek guy, turning 27 soon and has had 2 seasons where he scored over 12 goals, and only 1 season over 4 goals. Carter Vickers, never seen the guy play and not sure who has.

We've 4 left backs and not one of them is good enough. Some people think McCarthy is going to be a starter every week. Who are our starting CB's? There's so many positions where there's no depth beyond the starter.

The most disappointing attitude is towards Europe. The League is the priority as it gaurantees CL football next season. But to attract a high calibre of player to make us respectable in the CL next season we need to avoid being a laughing stock this year in the Europe League. You need to keep up your standards when playing on an elite level.

We have no right to win the league this season with this squad. We've lost already to our nearest rival. One meaningful shot on target. Lost to Hearts. Knocked out to Mytdlland and lost against AZ. People can make excuses for each of those games but those are the facts. We're not good enough and these transfers havent changed that fact yet.

Its the most decimated squad, filled with unknown quantities that I've seen in a long time, maybe going back to Deila's first season, maybe even O'Neill.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    oh bhoy, bhoy81, Belgian_lad and 4 others like this.
  15. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think we have started a process to make the changes we were never going to sell 15 players and replace them, there does need to be some line in which we stop. Would I have liked more players yes especially a attacking midfielder with pace and stamina to go box to box, but we have to hope that what we have got, especially in defence is good enough if CCV can push Starfelt (out a window) and juranovic or scales can play LB instead of taylor

McCarthy or Soro patrolling in front of defence and Samar’s mark 2 and Koyogo up top with McGregor Turnbull/Rogic and Abada supplying the crosses and passes to split the defence then we might last out till jan when our Japanese recruits come to the rescue

16. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    McCarthy is the big one. That is the position we most needed someone I feel so if he can keep fit and get back to his best then we should be fine, if not we'll struggle against decent teams. Our midfield is far too lightweight, especially McGregor, Turnbull and Rogic as the three.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. wulliebad

And what about the jan window,or next summer when we don't have a 20 million players to sell,then there is also the running costs of the club,do we just ignore that.It been clear for years now some of the money gained from selling players is needed to keep the lights on.

18. JamesM09

So they're making £20m+ profit in a transfer window, qualifying for the Europa League, selling out Celtic Park in Europe and selling all season tickets but we still can't have a squad with any depth?

Let me know when I'm allowed to criticise them for gross mismanagement.

They've got you well conditioned.

bhoy81 and The Phoenix like this.
  19. wulliebad

You have to be realistic,we are not going to sign most of a first team and a whole load of squad players in one single window.We had 10+ leave and 11 come in.Yes if we was a EPL club with more money than sense signing players is quick and simple because you give them whatever they want and give the selling club whatever it wants. Most people would see that repairing lennon's mess and losing 50% of the team due to them being loans would take more than one window to fix. I'm not conditioned i am realistic.I know the board are a bunch of * but in this window they have backed the manager and would hope its the same in Jan and next summer....we will see.

20. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Probs because they want a fee of a premiership defender which we won’t pay
    Wouldn’t surprise me if the plan at 8pm was fuckit or scramble about for a loan

Peej likes this.