1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by thailandceltic, Aug 30, 2021.

Discuss Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    GK: Hart, Bain, Barkas
    RB: Juranovic, Ralston
    CB: CCV, Welsh, Starfelt, Jullien, Bitton
    LB: Taylor, Scales
    DM: McCarthy, Shaw
    CM: McGregor, Soro
    AM: Turnbull, Rogic
    RW: Abada, Forrest
    LW: Jota, Johnston
    ST: Kyogo, Giakoumakis, Ajeti

Not replacing Christie is lunacy. Apart from that I can’t complain too much about the window. I’d have liked a proven left back, another centre midfielder and another striker though, at least.

Will wait and see what January brings (hopefully from Japan!) and just hope we’re still in a title race by then.

Hammy89 likes this.
  2. Keano88

Kyogo, Abada, Juranovic and Hart I’ve no doubt about whatsoever. They’ve shown already that they’re first team players.

McCarthy we know is first team material but only worry is he might not feature as regular as we need him to.

Giakoumakis and Jota on paper are very good signings and I think they’ll be first team quality but time will tell.

Carter-Vickers. Most on here were calling him pish but Bournemouth fans seemed to rate him. I assume the Bournemouth fans will have seen more of him than people on here so could be a shrewd deal.

Scales, Shaw and Urhoghide likely in the raw project category.

All in all the signings we’ve made are really good and I’m sure plenty more to come in January.

Not got a lot of depth so will need to trust in the youth players like Montgomery, Hendo etc if we pick up a few injuries here or there.

Seán Mac D and Slaw like this.
  3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

You can add Bitton to the midfield department mate. Think he’s finished as a CB here and may have something to offer in midfield. It’s quite a while back now but I’ll never forget his performance at home to Inter in midfield. The guy’s become quite hated by our fan base lately but he has got quality. He’s a silky footballer.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I can’t believe folk think our issues are capable of being solved in 1 Window personally.

If we’re all being honest a left back would have been ideal and arguably a centre mid but we’ve yet to see Scales and McCarthy and both could be proper solutions.

We’ve punted those that wanted to go and brought in players in key positions. Depth is majorly lacking but (with a fair wind) that in itself will improve as players return from injury.

Hammy89, MAP, HoopyT and 6 others like this.
  5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I can sort of understand us not going for a LB, we've still got Taylor and Bolingoli at the club, feel like we had to shift one first, and it just never happened.

CM there's no excuse, my biggest issue going out the window, we should have been better prepared for Christie leaving, just hope Mcgregor doesn't get injured.

6. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Don’t think he’s anywhere near agile enough to play midfield in Ange’s team mate. Don’t rate him as a centre half either, but I think that’s his best chance of game time.

7. oh bhoy

What the * were we doing with ccv ? We must have known a month ago when we made the enquiry we needed another cb and we did * all about it until spurs contacted us ! What the *.
    I think the only positions that have been strengthened are the rw with abada now looking a genuine alternative to Forrest and the gk due to dearth of quality there before .
    You could go through the rest and ask if scales will be better than laxalt ,jota will be better than elyounoussi ,starfelt -ajer and in a lot of cases it looks like it could be much the same and it wasn't * good enough last year

8. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    If and I know its a big if... If Ange is going to bring in players from the Japanese Market in January this squad as is should be OK till then. They will be knackered by Christmas but if we are still in touch and get reinforcements Im confident..

It's a big If and we need all our new players firing and stay relatively injury free.. we need some luck

Mr Shelby likes this.
  9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The squad was good enough last year.

The manager wasn’t.

ticketyboo0, Heb Celt and Slaw like this.
  10. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    There was a bit of panic setting in earlier today, in all honesty I'd have been happy with the two we signed today but with CCV was a Brucey bonus.

I reality this transfer window has been quite productive in terms of the rebuild, its not finished not by a long shot, but the foundations are being built. We have a few months for the new players to gel and get used to the style Ange wants to play. It now falls on Ange to use this as a stepping block, we've shifted a few players that were detrimental to the rest of the squad, so the players he has will mostly be the ones wanting to be here. Hopefully now he can get his own staff now the circus has packed up, then hit the January sales and unearth some hidden gems.

MAP and Slaw like this.
  11. SuperZidane

I agree - look what he inherited when he arrived 9 weeks ago - a squad full of loans, players who wanted to leave and dross. I honestly thought it would take him at least 2 transfer windows to get the squad in half decent shape. There is work to be done in the next window but I think he's done well in the time he's had.

I believe Edouard's fee will reach the reported 18/18.5m and to get 2.5m for Christie with 6 months left was good business.

I do accept that, if we are hit by injuries (and Forrest is my main worry there, I don't even count Johnston as a squad player) - we are vulnerable.

However, Ange has done better than I expected in a short time.

MAP, Noskeil and thailandceltic like this.
  12. Darksel Gold Member Gold Member

I'm undecided to be honest, not really sure how the signings we did make will turn out, but no one can deny we are lacking a massive amount of depth, and only time will tell if it comes back to bite us or not.

13. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    People are saying are we happy , I’m relatively happy with the amount of players, only time will tell over next few months how well they fit into the team
    Quite excited new manager, new players it became stale. , also wish no ill will apart from maybe Griffiths but glad to see the back of players who just don’t want to be here

Slaw likes this.
  14. GavCFC1

7/10 for me. Happy with the quality of players we’ve brought in but obvious gaps in the squad but it was never going to be fulfilled in one window. Hopefully still in the title race come January and can further add to the squad

15. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    You also have to ask when was the last time Celtic signed 11+ players not including some of the dev players?

As they say Rome want built in a day, it's all been done in budget, we don't have the PSG, Man City, Madrid finances to do a full rebuild in one window and beside that, that kind of rebuild is generally a terrible idea, too many players trying to adjust to settling/lifestyle etc.

16. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

We certainly can’t argue this window hasn’t been a success, got rid of a lot deadwood and brought in some real quality. It’s gone far beyond my expectations, probably because of the usual * we’ve had for years. In my opinion though, very successful window and let’s hope we can further increase the calibre of player at Celtic in the January window. The league this season was always a massive ask but i’m quite sure we can at least now put up a challenge which is all that we could really have asked for.

MAP likes this.
  17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough. I think he can be used as a back-up to McGregor. He can keep the play ticking over like Callum does and our other midfielders will need to step up if we find ourselves in that position.

I’m not quite ready to write him off is all. I don’t think Ange sees him as a CB any more. He brought him on in midfield at home to Jablonec to make that point I believe.

18. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Expected worse I am okay to bank the Eddy money till January instead of rushing it last minute, assess what needs to be done by Ange.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  19. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I guess we’ll find out mate as I don’t think there’s anyway we’re not going to be short handed in midfield at some point between now and January.

Cheers for mentioning the idea of McGregor picking up an injury/suspension at this time of night. Absolute nightmare fuel :40::56:

Slaw likes this.
  20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

So Christie and Eddie left?

This window is an absolute joke if so.