1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I totally appreciate what you’re saying, but as a club we’ll never progress without rewarding loyalty and at least trying to keep our best players.

I also wasn’t advocating giving him £30k a week, I was just using that figure as it was easy for calculations. He’d also stay if offered less than that. We could double his current basic wage and he still wouldn’t hit £25k a week, while we’re paying Ajeti more than that, but he’s been offered nowhere near that.

I don’t think being played out of position helped his form last season. Even this season, he’s constantly shifted about due to shortages in the squad which isn’t easy. Given a run in the team as an 8, I think he’d show his class (like he did when he first broke into the team).

If he goes, we desperately need to replace him with bother a winger and a centre midfielder.

cat123 likes this.
  2. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Plus AZ home and away, Rennes, Aberdeen cup final, Aberdeen cup semi final, Hearts cup semi final, even the Huns cup final he was one of our better players. It’s a total myth that he shites it in bigger games.

Yes, he’s been poor against the huns more often than not, but over the last two years, who hasn’t?

King of Kings, martin_d and AdamRS like this.
  3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He’s a really good player that i’ll miss, i think ange shoe horned eddy in against sevco which just upset everything we did. I can see why he did it though.

martin_d and McGrory1888 like this.
  4. celticdawg

Yet another * up from our great leaders imo , not giving a reasonable deal to a player who looks good in anges system is typical of these clowns .
    Anyone who thinks giving him 25-30 grand a week is somehow bad business needs to wake the * up , this is celtic ffs !!
    Those that wanted him gone fine but who plays instead ? Losing a player who always gave 100% and who got more than his share of goals and assists isnt good business especially when we dont have a replacement , i suppose an often injured forrest and a never fit johnson could chip in with a few eh !!

martin_d and McGrory1888 like this.
  5. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Christie made noises last season about wanting away, wanted to challenge himself in England. No point offering a player substantial money to stay if he really doesn't want to be there.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  6. celticdawg

Crap m8 , if we offered him a deal and he signed it then imo he wanted to be here , he said he was enjoying it under ange !!
    Again who you replacing him with ? We just want everything on the cheap without paying even the going rate

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Couldn't care less if I'm honest. Yes it leaves us short on options but I'd rather he went now than in putting off the inevitable.

He started the season if we'll, but then when we looked out of ideas against AZ and Sevco, he reverted to type. Trying * worldies so he can pat his own back.

It's truly a shame because there's a fantastic player in there imo. Unfortunately he just can't take that * out if his game no matter who the manager is.

Ryan first, team second.

Bye Felecia.

8. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    No doubt he's a decent player when on form but I don't understand why the board wouldn't give him a decent contract but to suggest that we would pay Christie £30k is ludicrous.

He's not had the impact to warrant those wages. That's the kind of money Scott Brown was on and he was one of the most successful players we've had in a long time. Christie had potential to come good and maybe get to that level but he's not anywhere near that yet.

He's a hard worker but hard work doesn't always transfer into good performances. I hope he goes on to do well but I can't help thinking he's making a mistake leaving for Bournemouth.

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Burnley players don't live there though do they?

10. Maestro 08

Mad how it goes in here. His name was mud last season, crap player, crap attitude. Comes back and has a few good performances and he's superb, all is forgiven. Now the last two days he's went from a mug for wanting to leave, * him! and now we are getting in the last few hrs... poor Ryan all he wanted was a fair wage. :56:

As always the truth is somewhere between the extremes.

He was never a crap player but he's not irreplaceable either he would have been offered a decent wage but was able to get more down south, not exactly a new phenomenon that is it and his ambition was ultimately to go there.

11. celticdawg

Seriously m8 £30 grand if thats what he was after shouldnt be a problem for a club of our size ffs , now and again we have to step out our comfort zone especially for a player who could make a difference in winning the league and making us some CL cash !!

McGrory1888 likes this.
  12. celticdawg

A lot of that is true but bottom line did he want to leave under ange or want a decent offer ?
    Now that he has left we still have to replace him and what are the chances of that happening right now when we need to get stronger not weaker !!

13. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    Yeah I agree we should pay that type of money but not for Christie he's too inconsistent to be our star man and top earner.

I wanted him to stay but we are not getting huge EPL TV money and can't throw money at people. We really need to make our money go to guys that are performing consistently.

Ajeti and a couple of other players are basically getting paid decent and had no impact. That probably gets to Christie understandably but we signed a lot of these duds expecting more.

14. Maestro 08

My thinking is he won't have been getting offered peanuts but it was probably never going to match what he could get down there. If he really wanted to stay that much and enjoys his life here and playing for Celtic then I'm sure a deal could have been done. Its pretty obvious his desire to remain here is being well overstated. I'm sure Callum McGregor could be earning double what his current deal is. Some players just have different priorities and perspectives. That's up to them.

cat123 likes this.
  15. celticdawg

Agree that if he really wanted to go down south and it wasnt just that he was fed up with the way we were heading under lenny then yeah we couldnt match his wages but bournemouth of all teams offering him £35grand if true makes it look like to me that we didnt offer him anywhere a decent offer

16. Maestro 08

Say he was offered 15/20 here. For us that's getting nearer the top end of our wage pyramid. If he can earn 15k extra down there then its a huge difference. I don't dismiss that and understand why someone would consider setting up their lives elsewhere. All I'm saying is if he was enjoying his time here, liked his life then you forego the extra cash because other life factors make up for that financial difference. People in many professions not just footballers will have faced similar scenarios.

17. rickyroma25

But that's the highest level he could possibly achieve. In his best world he'll get promoted to the EPL and maybe do well enough to get passed about some low level clubs in that league. I would have been happy to let him go last year and I'm still happy to let him go. He doesn't have the level of quality we should be aspiring to in a midfielder. Unfortunately we don't seem to be targeting that kind of quality.

cat123 likes this.
  18. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i think callum is a problem coming down the line if we havent offered him a fortune hed get upwards of 50k or more a week in the epl just now

we cant keep expecting players to play for a lot less than they would elsewhere because they are celtic fans

19. celticdawg

Obviously we cant match the bigger wages down south or abroad but if we honestly cant stretch to 25-30 grand for a decent player whos goals or assists could be the difference in winning the league then it doesnt make sense to me , its all a moot point if he didnt want to be here but signing for bournemouth in the championship is hard to take

20. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a plan in play :86: Think on he goes to a nice wee club for at least a year, does his stuff only for BR to pick him up for peanuts later down the line.