1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Spot on. Yesterday was a set back but in years gone by we would have folded away against AZ. Coming through that tie was huge.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  2. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

What's encouraging, in spite of the disappointment of yesterday, is the acknowledgement that he got it wrong.

The previous manager was more likely to blame everyone else.

3. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    For a club that has been "buying for the future" for years now it's surprising how under-developed our team is. For all their micro-management, the board have failed to maintain stability in the squad. Look at the spine, GK, CBs, Cms ... some familiar faces but mostly new blood. Some of the most essential partnerships in a team are in these areas, and we're at square one there. This comes down to a board wheeler dealer motivated by profit before all else. Ange will have his time and I wish nothing but joy for the guy, but the board need to realise that they are obliged to provide good custodianship , and that should at the very least mean a bit of continuity between managers. The rebuilding job Ange has on his hands SHOULDN'T EXIST. It's bad enough coming into the goldfish bowl of managing a Glasgow side, and all the expectations. It's just plain unfair that he's inherited the situation. I'm * off for him, really am

Wee Baldy and OverandOver like this.
  4. murphy88

The huns are also not on the same level as AZ though, so it’s a different game completely. We had to change things. Kyogo was getting no joy down the left, and he should have been put through the middle with Rogic coming on for Edouard at half time in all honesty. Kyogo is an out and out striker, I think that is now very clear. He would have caused their centre halfs no end of bother with his movement, and he did when he was moved, but it was done too late.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    Yeah I'll give you Abada has been up to now but I don't see Kyogo as winger and think we really need to strengthen on the left.

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    A good point. He could of deflected or given a generic “it wasnt our day answer” but he took it on the chin and also took pressure off the players.

The fact remains, Kyogo on the left created the most clear cut chance of the game for Edouard and 9/10 he is finishing that and we are talking about a very different game and ange is getting praised for making the change.

Kiro Kompiro, cat123 and Wee Baldy like this.
  8. SuperZidane

100% this. He definitely got it wrong and IMO took too long to change it. However, as you say, he was smart enough to realize this and honest enough to admit it - Lennon wouldn't have done either.

He also was a bit unlucky in that Eddie missed a sitter and Turnbull, Christie and Abada didn't turn up.

The defence also was pretty solid (apart from Welch at the goal) - Juranovic looked class even playing out of position.

All in all - a disappointing defeat but hopefully another step on his learning curve.

9. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think Ange probably learned a lot about a few players during the derby. Eddie, Turnbull and Christie definitely let him down.

I don't think Turnbull is cut out for Angeball yesterday wasn't the first time he's looked a bit lost. I think he's a decent young player just not sure he's up to Anges style.

Eddie and Christie somehow reverted back to last season.

10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Edouard going to Crystal Palace. Christie potentially about to sign for Bournmouth or Burnley, going on what I have read this morning.

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Hopefully Ange can sign a CB before today's transfer deadline. A lot of new faces need to get acclimatised at Celtic and bedded in. Personally I am looking forward to an even better dynamism coming into our play with these new players.

Giakoumakis and Jota teaming up with Kyogo and Abada up front sounds like a formidable attack to me.

Midfield will be strengthened with a fit McCarthy to release Callum into midfield. If we get the boy from St Johnstone then even better.
    Juranovic will be a champion in defence and calm things down as well. Scales also will be a good addition.

Time for a good transfusion of healthy new blood.

I do not want to see Edouard again. He makes me angry. Crystal Palace can have him with my blessing.

12. Kiro Kompiro

This X1000.

Why wouldn't you start a 15 million 6'2" centre forward who's been in decent form of late in the cauldron of an away derby over a lightweight winger come striker who's had a few knocks who can also play on the wing? Everyone is an expert in hindsight but starting Edouard at CF and Kyogo on the wing was a no-brainer. That Edouard completely bottled that chance isn't the managers doing.

And FWIW, I don't believe for a minute when Postecoglou admits it was the wrong decision either. He's shielding his players by taking the blame for the result-he knows more than anyone to keep the players onside if the team wins, the players get the credit and if the team loses, the manger gets the blame.

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Also impressed with Montgomery so far, good young prospect for a regular berth in the team. Seems very comfortable and able on the left side of the field as a left wing/back.

14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We need a goalkeeper as well, especially now we are in Europa. Ange is progressing with his player transition of the squad. Some will stay on the squad list, some added, and some will go. If Hart gets injured, sick, or loses form then we are in trouble. I have no confidence in Barkas and I have not seen enough of Baine to make a judgement.

I say this without bias and believe it to be a fact. The Australian national team has historically had very good goalkeepers over the last 40 years, apart from Kalac who I did not like as a keeper. Ron Corry, Jack Reilly, Jimmy Milhaseljavic, Terry Greedy, Robert Zabica, Mark Bosnich, Mark Schwarzer, Matt Ryan and others who do not immediately come to mind.

At present Danny Vukovic is one of the 4 keepers in the national team about to play WC games against China and Vietnam, as well as Matt Ryan and Lawrence Thomas and Paul Izzo.
    Vukovic has experience in Europe and was voted player of the year for his team Royal Genk FC in Belgium who did very well in the League when he was playing and the fans loved him.
    Vukovic may not be willing to move because of family committments but he would be a great choice as a keeper and for a reasonable price. He is an experienced keeper.
    Paul Izzo and Lawrence Thomas would also be a good choice in my opinion , for similar reasons.

Ange can get a keeper from the SPL also if he sees one he likes, but probably have to pay a lot more for him and may not match the keepers I have mentioned.

15. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Please stop suggesting players..

Vukovic is near 40 and just signed a contract with NEC..

Thomas is one of the best keepers in denmark atm no chance he would come to Scotland to play second fiddle in his prime

Paul Izzo is * and plays in the 2nd league in Greece..

16. AussieGreek

DdoubleD likes this.
  17. AussieAnge

Towards the end the lock was picked twice. Kyogo really botched both chances. That being said though his movement is brilliant and he has been a steal for Celtic. I was actually really encouraged by the fact Celtic were still playing and not knocking balls into the box in vain. Ange really has stamped his mark on this team.

He needs a big scalp though. Betis away is the next big challenge. Ibrox away and with Rangers being dominant champions last year means it would be a massive stretch to have expected a victory or even a draw, there was always the strong chance Rangers win the home game. But Ange wont want to lose another high profile match.

And I have a strong feeling another Joe Hart calamity is close. Pep got rid of him because he couldnt play with his feet and his distribution was poor, the longer he keeps possession the higher the risk. Granted you dont want him hoofing the ball every time he gets it, but * me he lives on the edge.

George Theodorou likes this.
  18. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Vukovic is 36. Thomas needs to go to a better League and better pay.
    Izzo is getting paid well where he is. The club is owned by an Aussie millionaire.
    Again, my main point is they are good keepers and will not cost the earth to get signed. I am not saying it should happen. I am having a conversation here.
    Again, what if Hart is hurt and can not play.

Chill out.

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Izzo was chosen and taken to the club by Popovic who was the coach at the start of the season. Popovic was sacked 6 games into the season and replaced by Babis Tennis. This club Xanthi has one of the most modern club set ups in northern Greece. They had been relegated the previous season prior to Popovic arriving. They were pushing to get back into the Greek premier league under Popovic, and continued under Tennis.
    They had to play off against Ionikos over two legs to get back into the first division.
    They lost in the final game by one goal which put Ionikos through. The goal was a penalty conceded harshly by the ball bouncing up and hitting a Xanthi defender beneath his hand. Izzo had been playing brilliantly all year. If he does come back to Australia so what ? Vukovic came back and is now with NEC in Holland.

Tell me if I am wrong or right.

The owner is Bill Papas, a Greek-Australian businessman, and owner of the club,who is under financial investigation in Sydney. He would not be the first to come under investigation- Bernard Tapie in France comes to mind. That came to light only approx 2 months ago, not earlier. This has got nothing to do with whether Izzo is a good keeper or '*' as you say. I do not agree with you.

Anything wrong in what I have said so far - yes or no ?

All three of the keepers I mentioned have been playing regular football. Why would they not want to go to a great club like Celtic ?

I do not see anyone pushing Hart for a spot at the moment - including Baine nor Barkas.

20. AussieGreek

I never said Izzo is *. In fact I never made a comment on his ability.