1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Filipe Jota

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by HTG, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Filipe Jota in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    He had a good game against Motherwell once lol.

Maestro 08 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  2. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The summary I take from those examples to be perfectly honest is that a lot of our fans were delighted with the vast majority when they initially arrived and by the end of the loans we were all just extremely grateful that we hadn’t forked out to sign them permanently.

So there’s definitely pros and cons.

thailandceltic likes this.
  3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Thing is loan helps the loaning side all the time.

Most of the time our loans are panic deals, desperation and very few are looked at successful.

For me loan are a massive risk, large wages, initial fee, and they take a place of either another first team member or stop a youth player from stepping up.

If you balance the amount of loans we have had over the last 10 years to successful ones it’s poor, extremely poor.

For me it’s not working and we need to get away from it ASAP. The manager either needs the players in signed early doors properly scouted or there is scope for youth because wasting money like last season on loans was absolutely pointless.

How much in wages and fees did Duffy, Moi and the rest cost us. We may as well sign players instead.

I just don’t see the point in them unless we benefit, and we are not benefiting.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  4. bhoy81

Two players, look at the money wasted on the rest.

If you look at that way it’s been a disaster.

5. bhoy81

We had an option to buy them both.

thailandceltic likes this.
  6. Paul McAuley

Where's this came from? Not from our usual contact book and I doubt Benfica offered us the player.

* forbid have we actually scouted a player?

Boy has outrageous flair.

Will be a Roberts first season or a musonda. He'll want the number 7 btw.

7. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Personally, I only think a loan should be made for two reasons.

1) We can’t identify an appropriate player who is talented enough and at the standard to represent Celtic, within our budget.

2) We don’t have the budget, then we only loan a player because we can’t afford to buy.

The reason clubs loan players out is because they aren’t good enough or have issues(attitude or injuries). That’s what makes the loans so risky and those clubs are looking out for themselves financially. So to me, loans equal much higher risks.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What you have to take into consideration though, is that 'not good enough' for one club doesn't automatically mean that the player won't do well for us. Roberts, Forster and Edouard were all loans who would've fit the 'not good enough' category for their parent club, largely due to them still developing, but they all did well for us. 'Not good enough' can easily mean 'not ready yet' or 'still developing'.

A one year loan is a much lower risk than an expensive transfer fee and a lengthy contract of 3-5 years. Laxalt came in with a good reputation but didn't impress much. Impossible to say if he would have improved under the new manager but because he was only a loan it was easy to get him out the door and not pay the reported £9m AC Milan wanted, and the wages and contract length Laxalt would have wanted.

As I said before, I'd rather we didn't have to use the loan market, but given our constraints in an inflated market, it's a useful tool for us to have. Given that a lot of loans are a season long at most, by definition they're much lower risk than a permanent transfer.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A permanent transfer on a long contract is more of a risk, that's just a fact.

If a young player is good enough then they'll earn their chance.

If a loan player is brought in it's because the manager at the time needs a body for a position and if they're taking the place of another squad member then it's usually because that other squad member isn't good enough or isn't performing.

Where I agree with you is that a lot of our loan deals haven't worked out or have just been mediocre, but the same can be said of our permanent deals too.

Hammy89 likes this.
  10. jamesgordon1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Just read on a site(not sure if it's reliable) we will have an option to buy him at the end of it...seems quite highly thought of at Benfica so I'm not sure what kind of fee they would want but at the age of 22 maybe they think if he was going to be breaking into the first team he might have done it by now.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

im sure moffat has been playing well at left wing for the colts

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

loans are a load of * and waste of money

some our loans for a year could and would have brought in decent full time signings

£2million quid loan deal and wages on top for a year ffs all these loan deals prove is that our board are shysters and want the team to do well with one arm tied behind their back

loan deals is a result of very poor football recruitment operations and neglect of the playing squad and being prepared continually to shaft the fans

there should be limited squad sizes for football teams, so teams like man city cant just buy all the prospects stick them on very good salaries that mean normal clubs cant afford them

that inflates the market its a con

14. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I definitely agree with your view on not good enough for one club. However a lot of these youngsters who are still developing though are a huge risk, which is my point.

The big clubs are full of these kids developing, PR being a perfect example of one. Sometimes you get lucky. But for every PR there’s a Laxalt. We are best steering clear of the big club loans because the success rate is so low. And forget about buying from the big clubs because the players come with the big club premium. Look at the non productive * Liverpool have sold lately with massive prices.

I think we are better off with some proper scouting of the leagues and picking up players who are taking the next step. There’s value out there if you don’t shop at a big club unless you pick up those leaving on a bosman.

15. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Same guy that said Buta was a done deal.

16. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Roberts, Elyounoussi, Guidetti, Denayer all decent in recent years.

17. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Ajeti an example that went wrong in terms of pushing the boat out rather than a loan deal

McGrory1888 and Big Shoes like this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I only see them as a huge risk if they sign for us having eaten a huge chunk of our budget, cost a lot in wages and we're stuck with them for a few seasons if they don't work out. If we get them on loan (someone like Oli Burke for example) and they don't work out, they're gone shortly afterwards.

If we look at permanent transfers as well, our success rate isn't a whole lot better. Our budget constraints often mean that we sign players that aren't the finished article, or who have a certain flaw that has prevented them from already playing at a higher level. I'm all for scouting leagues and picking up players but almost every club has scouts and analysts scouring the planet for the next gem. Even with value available in smaller leagues we can still easily end up with guys who aren't good enough like Klimala, Bayo, Bolingoli, Barkas to name a recent few. Some of the signings that have made the biggest impact in recent years have come from the bigger leagues. A bug bear of mine is how we negotiate with transfers, trying too hard to get players cheaply and ending up missing out on good quality such as McGinn. Loans or not, that's something I'd like to see change.

I remember Deila talking about our transfers and saying some players just laughed when they saw what we would be offering in terms of a contract, as the money is so much more lucrative elsewhere. I also remember reading that when a player's agent would be trying to negotiate an extra ~2k a week, we were always pretty firm in not moving from our budget. As a fan that's pretty frustrating as I'm sure it's led to us missing out on some good players over the years. So I do appreciate the frustration with loan deals, but I also accept our position in the market sometimes means they're necessary.

Where I'm sure most of us will agree is that we need to improve on our recruitment as a whole, with more forward planning so we don't end up in a similar situation to the one we found ourselves in just a couple of months ago, requiring a huge rebuild. Postecoglou has stated that looking at the club's infrastructure and backroom appointments is something that will be done once the transfer window closes. I'm hoping that's not just a PR soundbite and we do restructure and improve moving forward.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  19. Keano88

Going by the YT vids the bhoy seems to have every skill move under the sun and can take free kicks but needs work on his end product, I’m guessing that’s one of the main reasons he hasn’t broken through at Benfica.

@Luz1904 you any info on Jota?

20. wulliebad

Unless our signings are a keeper with no hands,a winger who flies around in planes looking for some * or a striker who scored a few goals then spent most of a season on a bench. Everything is a risk but loans are good if done correctly....try before you buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.