1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Born green

Should it be though? CalMac and Christie have put in a monumental effort in the first few weeks to deserve a write off. Welsh and Ralston both seem to have taken their game to the next level as well.
    Eddy hasn't. I'll write off last year for Eddy once he starts to prove himself.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yes it is a write off because it's last season.

I wasn't meaning him specifically, but I don't know about you but I'd rather not think about last season any longer?

Whats the point in that?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Liam Scales likes this.
  3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Well, it was me who brought it up, and it wasn’t ‘last season’; it was ‘last year’ in the sense of the 2020 summer transfer window, and the club’s (and fans’) gamble on Eddy.

Different manager and teammates not withstanding, this is the same guy whose want-away attitude didn’t just suddenly stop affecting us after the last summer window closed. That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t screw the nut and step up this time, but it’s at the very least a dodgy precedent on which to gamble keeping him.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm not overly arsed if he does stay but after the weekend and the fact that this season is massive in terms of a potential £40-50m windfall if we win the league, IF he can screw it I'd be fine with him running the deal down and helping us win the league.

Is it a gamble? Of course. Let's see what happens.

I do think it would be best if we get a £20m bid or so to punt him, already said that. However the more it creeps towards that end of August deadline and UNLESS we have a replacement ready to walk in, I'd really be concerned with the back up options we have.

Its why I think we need to sign Henry or another striker even if Edouard still is here within the next week.

5. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Fair play, mate. Fwiw, I very much agree with that last paragraph.

6. Born green

The point is we have to learn from it. Not keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Eddy has demonstrated already that persevering with him much longer will be repeating past mistakes.

If we stick with him, it's a constant reminder of last season, which, as you say, you want to forget about.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Good to see him smiling on the pitch and in training.

Ideal situation is that he signs a year extension and smashes it this year to give us time to find a seller for the price we want.

If he stayed, smashes it and we win the league, he’d leave with my full blessing and I’d imagine he’d remdeem himself with a large majority too.

eire4 likes this.
  8. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  9. Gurru 991

It's hard to tell what's going on with Edouard at the moment. is he looking to run his contract down or is the asking price too high ? Proven goal scorers are usually in big demand so I'm surprised there are no takers so far.

10. Foley1888

It’s hard to tell isn’t it?

Like see now we are two weeks from the window being closed, say someone offers like £12m with a decent sell on and add ons, we would keep about £10.5m do you think we would/should take it?

He’s definitely worth more when in form but it really comes down to if he is committed and can find top form? Also if say we can sign Juranovic, Scales and the striker from Venlo without selling Edouard but can also get a CB and Lovric if we did I think I would be all for the later.

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It’s seems his problem is the right side has not came in for him yet he doesn’t want a relegation dog fight he wants rope end of France or mid table England … would make bit of sense to sign new deal knuckle down for season get goals by then teams finances recover and team he like would come in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joemc likes this.
  12. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Lazy and lack of effort. You watch Kyogos willingness to run then watch him come on with a fresh set of legs, he looks like he’s just done an Olympic Triathlon.

13. Onefootwonder

I thought he played well when he came on. Unlucky not to score.

14. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Disagree, chased the ball down repeatedly. He showed determination and good link up play.

Not directed at your comment but as far as mentality goes, the way we’re playing and Kyogo clearly becoming the star man up top, this might be having a positive influence on Eddy.

Not to forget a lot of the players were going through some tough times only recently but this fresh air around the place is certainly making everyone around the club smile again.

It wasn’t so long ago Rogic, Calmac and Christie to name a few were all being touted to leave. Much has changed, and hugely.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He scores that chance and it's tie over. As we are scoring at least 1 over there.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Was unlucky, his ability to hold the ball up is so important in European ties.

Hammy89 likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    To be fair, that was incredible from the keeper, especially the header because he put that exactly where you’d want it to be going.

18. LloydsGamble

Yeah he did fine, actually did do some running and closing down and some decent hold up play at times too.

19. horseshoe

There's still no benefit to him in this scenario signing a new deal with us, it just puts a barrier between him and other teams, he can knuckle down and play for a move this season and write his own ticket. Even if he doesn't play great he's still in a position to command a higher wage and signing bonus at lower end teams because they won't have to pay us millions to get him.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thought he did well and I was screaming for him to come in.

Games like tonight are a prime example why a bigger striker is required at European level for a side like us. He's not even the most physical but you seen the difference he made. Henry or someone simular is needed if he leaves.

Unlucky with those chances, TBH. He put the header in the corner, could have done nothing more. Great keeping.

Liam Scales likes this.