1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I just mean in terms of his movement down the flank. It seems very rigid. I’m not talking about his build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wee Baldy likes this.
  2. murphy88

He was poor at home to Midtjylland, poor away at Hearts barring his goal and wasn’t great away to Jablonec either. That’s half our competitive games so far. He will always put in a shift, but we need two right backs in the door.

3. saltire78

He's transitioned from 3rd, to 2nd to 1st choice RB for me. On current displays; particularly regarding effort and progression, he's thrown down a marker that another RB, and there's no doubt we need one no matter what anyone says, will need to come in an displace him from HIS position. That's only fair, and if the club cheapskate it I'd say he could easily remain 1st choice.

Interesting thing will be if we get in a good one, will he fall back to previous issues or continue to progress to fight for the spot?

Edit: by 3rd and 2nd I meant we needed 2 and then 1 first choice players in to make the position functional

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's done well and I'm delighted for him, shown great attitude, determination and some class too..

However, we've not really played anyone decent yet..

We need much better, but more confident that when he does need to play he can do a job.

Rydo1888*, Gyp Rosetti and Jeannie960 like this.
  5. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can't really ask much more of him.

Thrown in. Had a great attitude. Played as well as he possibly could. Scored a couple of goals. He's did well.

6. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Arsenal will be bidding for Tierney's pal soon.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  7. saltire78

Thing I keep forgetting is that he's still only 22. He could easily continue to progress for another 3 or 4 years before he'd reach his prime years. If he kept up the progression he's shown under Ange so far this year for an entire year, or * forbid 2, he could become an integral component in our future or a massively sellable asset.

However, knowing us, we'll turn him out fantastically and then lose him for * all in the summer!

NomDePlum likes this.
  8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He is likely our lowest paid first team player at the moment, with only a year left on his contract. If he does continue this form then that needs addressed quickly.

9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    No matter his form he isn’t the answer to our RB problem, he is a back up at best and that’s it.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He is currently our only RB. Who is he back-up to? Still a few weeks left until the window shuts but even so a lot of delusional thinking going on at present.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Don't think any of that is accurate about Midtyalland, Hearts or Jablonec. Who would you prefer plays RB then?

12. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    He is but even on his best form he is still short of what we require and we do need an upgrade. I'd be absolutely delighted if he could improve his game and be exactly what we need but I can't see it. I think he is adequate for SPFL duty and will be a decent back up

Wee Baldy likes this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fair enough. Probably time to sell him on then?

So who you suggesting we play in that position? I've heard Bitton has played there before.

14. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Unfortunately there is no * else who can plat RB at the minute, I think he is doing a good job just now but will be found out as the season goes on, as I said would love it if he could step up a level, just don't see it at the minute. To be fair he has never had a good run in the team so maybe he can

15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    But if he's not good enough probably time to get rid?

Otherwise there will just be the continual harping about him not being "Celtic quality". I like him but he's had literally no support from Celtic supporters so far so best for everyone he moves on surely? Fans loved Frimpong and he was gash so maybe we should focus on getting him back instead?

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    What’s this delusional thinking you speak of?

17. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Not our first choice doesn't mean get rid surely. I agree he has had a worse time from our fans than he deserves, I'm actually routing for him but I don't expect him to make it. Frimpong wasn't gash though? Strange comparison. I will say that Ralston has deserved to keep a hold of the jersey even if we get a new player in, he hasn't had the opportunity of a run in the team

18. markybhoy1976 Gold Member Gold Member

Oh yes he was. * final ball and pretty much a one trick pony, that trick being his pace.

Give the lad 10/10 for enthusiasm and energy but Celtic will never ever miss him. In any case he couldn’t wait to desert the sinking ship in contrast to Ralston who has taken all kinds of pelters from his own yet stood up and been counted and given his all for the jersey. So maybe you’re right about the strange comparison.

AussieGreek likes this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I keep thinking back to Stan Petrov and the incredible improvements he made under O'Neill as opposed to Barnes. It's going a similar way with Ralston at the minute.

There's no reason why he can't continue to improve and become a good player for us. It looks to me like some of you don't want the boy to get to that stage for some reason. Yes we need another RB and one if a higher standard, but for me Ralston has earned the jersey and our backing. I hope he keeps on improving and becomes a solid RB for us for years to come because his attitude is first class.

tarboltontim likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Simply being the only option doesn’t restrict folks opinions of him.

He clearly is a determined young guy with a stellar attitude to his work but he’s also extremely limited as a football player and we need better. That’s the bottom line.

Gyp Rosetti, Wee Baldy and NomDePlum like this.