1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

* *....he's obviously not coming here unless he was getting that long term contract. He wasn't sitting there wanting a one year deal and Celtic of all clubs were twisting his arm for 4. If you're happy he's here accept that the long term nature of the deal was probably the major factor in him coming.

2. ddub11

Its a risk but with correct management(he dont need to play every minute of every game)it could turn out to be a great move.
    Imo he is an improvement on what we have and that cant be a bad thing.

Crilly likes this.
  3. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Not sure if I’ve missed the 15k / week somewhere - if that’s true then it’s a great deal.

I don’t see it being less than 25k. And years 3 and 4 perhaps being the 15k but playing contingent on keeping it at 25.

Don’t see any way in which he’s cut his wages 40k a week.

4. Sin

But you just said why he cut his wages 40k a week. :D

In truth I did say I wasn't using the exact numbers, of course I don't know those numbers, I was giving an example.
    There is no way we are paying 40k a week but some clubs in England would be willing to offer him 40k a week for 2 years, we on the other hand offer him 15k or even 20k but on a 4 year contract, again I'm only trying to explain why we have given him a 4 year contract, it really is as simple as we couldn't afford him on a 2 year contract.

Also Hart just signed for us and he did cut his wages by more than 40k a week, he got a decent sized contract and he wants to play first team football, we are offering the same thing here, a longer contract than other clubs would probably offer and first team football.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  5. ddub11

Its a risk but with correct management(he dont need to play every minute of every game)it could turn out to be a great move.
    Imo he is an improvement on what we have and that cant be a bad thing.

6. oh bhoy

We lose brown, ntcham and probably Christie and replace them with a 30 year old Mc carthy (on a 4 year deal!!). really, is that the best we can do

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Worked with a palarse fan last year..he wasn't impressed. I think him and Hart are bad moves myself. Time will tell.

8. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Not up front I didn’t dude - I’m saying I’ll be stunned if he’s not on a minimum 25k/ week banked at least at the outset.

9. seanm

If he upsets the huns im all for him HH

10. Sin

In all honesty it could be a very complicated contract, he could be on something as little as 15k a week but then he gets 5k for every game played, maybe an extra 20k for every 5 games played, so on and so on.

I was honestly just trying to point out why we have given him a 4 year contract as some people keep complaining about the length of the contract, we just couldn't afford him over a 2 year contract, it really is that simple.

11. seanm

Thatll do us pal HH

12. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Don’t disagree at all dude - 4 years has swung it, and risk is high.

All I’m saying is I suspect it will be higher still as I’d imagine y1/2 of contract has him at top end for us, without much mitigation in event of injury

13. Maestro 08

Really? Ntcham is * dog *, was a man down most of the time, Brown was practically chased out at the end and Christie is still here!! So aye in reality we've actually replaced McCarthy with a fading Brown, and got rid of a wage thief in Ntcham.

Westlondonscot, Twisty and stevoEOS like this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

You're a right stickler for detail. :67: :50:

Mr Shelby likes this.
  15. Belgian_lad

One who was over his best and one who has hardly featured in the past 12 months and one who plays a different position? Dont see the point of what you wrote…

Twisty, Mr Shelby and Maestro 08 like this.
  16. SuperZidane

He didn't get the injury playing for Ireland. He already had it but was picked for the team and that made it worse - Koeman (Everton manager at the time) was furious with MON for picking him as it lengthened the time he was unavailable for Everton.

17. Maestro 08

....and who is actually still here. Bizarre post. The guy is moaning about nothing.

Belgian_lad likes this.
  18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    My rates are £8.50 an hour if you want be back on board...

Cheers mate. OCD cured.

The Prof likes this.
  19. SuperZidane

I don't think it's true that Soro isn't rated - he's just raw. He needs to calm down and not dive into challenges - he hopefully can learn from McCarthy and, if so, has the makings of a really good player.

20. oh bhoy

i dont rate mccarthy,never have even when he was young before a catalogue of injuries.with the wages saved from 3 outgoing central midfielders i imagined we would have aimed a bit higher