1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

When we have no one left to sell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by wulliebad, Aug 1, 2021.

Discuss When we have no one left to sell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

With that lazy frenchman being our last big sale from the team (if someone is daft enough to buy him)where does the club go then.
    Failing to get into the CL and its riches has been paid for by the sale of our biggest assets but next summer we will face the prospect of again failing because that's what we do, but also no big player to sell to bring in funds to buy more * projects by the barrowload.
    We may have some players of value but i don't see any of the current squad even being 10 million plus nevermind 20 million bracket.
    Are we heading down a slippery slope,and if we are where does it end.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Édouard for 15-20 million
    Christie for 5-8 million

They are the obvious ones next to be sold.

After that it will be the development of guys like Abada, Turnbull, soro, Welsh...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

3. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    Can only hope all of this is some sort of wake up for the club (I know, I know). Need to start bringing through some of the young players as they’re the ones who are likely to be the next Tierney or Ajer (rather than anyone we’re singing just now).

Whether or not we win the league this year we’ll still have a shot at the CL next season so the preparation for that need to start now. Get the scouting right so that we know who we’re going for in January and May/June. Give Ange what he needs to implement his style and build a consistent team.

In many ways not having a star player that’s looking to leave will help. Yes there’ll be no cash injection next summer but surely the squad harmony will improve.

4. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Someone better lock up the trophy room and nail down the training equipment, scum in the boardroom will need to get payed somehow...

scuzzy likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Its a good point tbf.

Unless we hit some diamonds over the next few windows we are not looking anywhere near like selling for the same kind of money.

6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The board will then bail out, because the club revenue will have dried up. Nothing left to suck out.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It may be the catalyst for proper change at that point, as they'll need the fans £££s more than ever.

8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Well somehow the Huns have managed to shop in the same market as us despite not a single notable sale of a player since the Oldco sold Jelavic circa 2011, nor any CL money either.

This really epitomises the negligence for me.

How is our record buy the same as them over the last few years? Why are we spending less now than we did in 2003 despite massive footballing and economic inflation?

9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The disco lights should fetch a few bob ....

10. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    I have a feeling Christie will sign a new contract

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Standard's slip and this is what happens when you try to cut corners in recruitment..

Instead of pushing the boat out in that department and our academy, we're now seeing a lack of any kind of structure in how we operate. Our best talents all * off before they've even kicked a ball for us as well..

12. Foley1888

Been saying this for a while, this is also partly due to us continually loaning players then having no funds to replace them whether they are good or bad.

To some extent this is where COVID has done us, as without it Eddy and Ajer, Ntcham and possibly Christie would have been off last year for serious money probably around £60m. However given the uncertainty teams weren’t spending. By letting them run down their contract and given the season we had all but Ajer’s value has dropped, particularly Christie and Ntcham who you could have got about £10m and £5m or 6m respectively. Now both may leave for nothing. And we will be looking at getting about £30m max for Eddy and Ajer again considerably less than it sold last year.

13. Maestro 08

The utopia for a Celtic board is that they could lower the expectations to a point where we continued to buy all our season tickets and merchandise and were happy with battling for a league title and domestic cups. Europe unquestionably is a headache for them, I think if they could get rid of it tom they would.

Does any of this sound/look familiar currently?

If the board were genuine about their ultimate motivations you would know that it would be all about feathering their own nest and bottom lines. Expenditure is a dirty word to them and expenditure is what European football brings.

Why do we go out and spend millions on players when we could just hoover up the best around our league for relative peanuts and still challenge domestically. It's because the fans horizons stretch beyond these shores. They need to narrow those horizons.

I wouldn't say they have deliberately engineered the emergence of Sevco but I'll tell you right now not one of them will be unhappy with it because the expectations when we were dominating wouldn't have sat well with them as businessmen. Now they have what they ultimately wanted. Lowered expectations and continued 'consumer' support.

I'm not one for the big conspiracy theories about them wanting us to throw the league but I will say that if you can look at things through their eyes a strong Sevco makes business a lot more easy and more importantly a lot more profitable for them. Driving with the handbrake on.

14. wulliebad

Honestly im worried,not about the manager but our ability to spend enough money to allow him to get us out of this mess. We have such a huge build left to do and i would think this window it all depends on big money for eddy.Then next summer where will the money come from when we need the next 2 or 3 gaps filled.Looking at this team i doubt the money is coming from any runs in Europe.
    I still cant see past playing 5 loan players in one team being one of the most * stupid decisions we could have made,and on top of that spending around 18 million last window and not losing any of our (big players).
    Financially i worry we have some dark years ahead.

15. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Anthony Ralston - £10m +

16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It was the quotes from Desmond that made me delve into conspiracy theorism. In one thread, someone posted quotes of him speaking positively of Rangers as a club. Add to this his desire to get us and them into the EPL. You mention driving with the handbrake on? It was activated last year, after the club used COVID as an excuse to cut staff costs.

17. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think we are in trouble as I don't think we are as financially sound as they would have us believe. We'd be ok if we didn't waste so much money on players that fail.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  18. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

McGregor would probably fetch around £15M but I doubt very much he’ll move anywhere. I think Soro, Turnbull, Abada, Dembele, Johnston and Welsh all have potential to fetch good fees but not by next season for most.

If we don’t win the league this season we’re going to need to run at a big deficit to try get it back.

19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Huns are running a deficit all the time. Maybe if we go in the red, we stop buying * disco lights and set up a scouting network, a proper physio team, and a fitness department?

20. Maestro 08

As I say I don't think they hatched a grand plan to throw the league.

But if you go back to when we had the league to ourselves that was the point when you could tell there was this reluctance or deliberate lack of ambition and you can see the Celtic boards true nature. We had a guaranteed crack at champions League money, 40k season tickets, basically complete security and money rolling in.

That's when we as fans were thinking right lets pull away and maybe have a real go at Europe as domestically we were sorted.

Their response was to appoint a rookie manager renowned for player development and pursue this buy low and sell high business model and instead of pulling away they put the handbrake on, slowed everything down and effectively were happy to let them reel us in

There was no desire there from the board to spend money and have a push at Europe. If anything I imagine they were uncomfortable knowing the fans main focus at that time was champs league/european football and therefore having good money spent.

The over riding feeling from then was they were trying to lower expectations.

If you go back you will see how little we actually spent. Even when we had all that security we made a conscious decision to go the other way.

The eventual result of this mindset within our boardroom has potentially given them the chance to dominate us for a long time to come. Something I thought I would never see happen again when they went bust.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.