1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think your spot on in the last bit.

I find it hard to see how we mount a serious challenge this year tbh. But I've believed that all along.

2. Celticbhoy17

People complaining about Ange's team selection are ridiculous. If he played Welsh and Murray and we lost people would have been saying why didnt he play Starfelt and Bitton. The problem is that our squad is utter * because we continually sell our best players and refuse to reinvest properly. We are thus left with not a single first team defender nor goalkeeper on our books. A few years ago McGregor was a bench player in and around the first team. Now he is our captain and best player, and its not because he is improved so massively, but because the rest of the squad has went miles downhill. The only players that started last night that should be anywhere near a celtic first team are James Forrest and Callum McGregor.

3. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    There needs to be a massive change in attitude I was quite excited about this guy coming with the high intensity playing and closing down no one standing still always looking for an angle to pass, well I can tell you he hasn’t told the players yet because last night half them went missing when they were needed.

how can you set up for a free kick knowing its coming in and there was 3 hearts players Souter being one in the middle of the box not marked 3 fckng players with the defence trying play off side disgrace fckng shambles so if this is Ange ball I’d rather have a new balls please

Maestro 08 likes this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Aye the huns won't drop many points as there is no competition, we only need to lose a few games and it will be over, that's the sad reality of our situation, our * approach to this season was always gonna cost us, we have ran out of time, still needing half a team and the season has already started, out of the CL yet again.

The very idea that someone like Eddie Howe would have worked with this Board is laughable, * forbid someone would actually want to bring in their own backroom team lol. he'll be sittin right noo thinking i've dodged a bullet ffs ....

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye that's the big worry, just how long it'll take to get us where we need to be..

They've left it so * late that's he's almost doomed before he's started..

Patience is required but patience doesn't exist in Glasgow..

I don't think we're in with a chance of winning the league this year, which will ultimately heap massive pressure on him..

This is why this appointment was always a strange one. Getting a guy in last minute from Australia and Japan on his CV, for our biggest every rebuild and change of style of play. Was always gonna be a tall order and you felt we needed a good start, we haven't had that bounce effect..

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    That high line was way too high, on 2 or 3 occasions last night as well..

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We will probably be 6 points behind by the end of this month, for starters.

I've said I will give the manager a years grace and I still want to. Buy at the same time there still has to be some signs of improvement...again he needs help.

8. murphy88

I’m agreeing with you because yes he has made bad decisions. However, all of this is irrelevant in my opinion. Postecoglou should not be in the job in the first place, but the board chased our top target in Howe out the door. We then arsed about for another few weeks and appointed Postecoglou. Far too late in the day to get us ready for the start of the season. On top of all that, he hasn’t been backed. So it’s unfair to judge him in my opinion.

Coincidentally, Wim Jansen was also brought in late. Exactly 4 weeks before our league started, so pretty similar to Postecoglou, and he lost his first two league games also. That’s not me looking for an omen either. That’s me pointing out the importance of giving a manager time to get a settled team and implement his ideas. The mess created last season was never going to be a quick fix unless we got a top manager in early and properly backed him. Neither has happened. So what we are seeing now is pretty much as I expected to happen.

It’s not that I can’t see the difference between people’s anger towards the board whilst questioning Postecoglou, I just don’t think at this stage you can question a manager who probably shouldn’t be in the job anyway, and hasn’t been backed to carry out one of the biggest rebuilds in our history.

Thebs likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    So galling as well that this is the year for automatic champions league qualifying and we've half arsed it so badly in every way, still are even..

The Phoenix likes this.
  10. murphy88

It’s been 4 weeks mate. What did you expect to see in 4 weeks with pretty much no new signings properly bedded in yet?

11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Depends on your players. He's brought in 3 players, 2 of which are just in the door. You want a high pressing, high intensity game? Let him bring in the players to do that. He isn't going to be able to do that with Eddy and Turnbull in the team though, that's a given, especially within 4 weeks.

I don't think AP is blameless for yesterday. I want to make that clear. He should have us much better prepared for set pieces and our play, for all the dominance lacked cutting edge. I don't think fitness can be blamed for that though, especially given the fact we were in Denmark two days before the game and played a 120 minute game.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Because of the scale of our re-build time was always gonna be a massive factor in our preperation ahead of the new season, it took the Board 3 month just to appoint a manager, they just haven't got a clue, no forward planning or direction, everything is half arsed, as a club we continually stumble around in the dark, our recruitment is all over the place.

This was supposed to be a transitional period for us, but what's actually changed ?

By the looks of things this is just a continuation of last season, minus Lennon.

Sgt Neppers* and King of Kings like this.
  13. Maestro 08

Bitton is a coward and a * CB. He let us down big time in Europe with his red card, shouldn't be anywhere near the team and Welsh deserved to start. He picked Bitton and he was at fault for the goal. That's a glaring mistake from him. No-one would have blamed him for starting the two young guys especially since Starfelt had barely said his hello's and the two young CB's actually played well previously. Christie has been probably our best attacking player so far and he benched him for two guys that did next to nothing. This is before you get on to his Taylor and Ralston as CDM's and Bain as Pirlo set up.

14. Maestro 08

I appreciate what you're saying and I agree for the most part. I'm not yet questioning his overall ability to do the job, he obviously needs more time. I was questioning some of his matchday decisions to date which I think could have been better and in the case of yesterday, much better. I and probably every fan has done that with every manager so it's no different for him. I'm not going to suddenly give him a free pass for absolutely everything bcos the board are clowns which some people seem to be doing. We should have more than enough to put that hearts team away.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Very little. Been saying for months that we have next to no chance of winning the league this year.

However, given how terrible we were last season I was hoping for an immediate uplift from the new manager effect, the players being fitter, a more tactically astute manager and better use of subs. I can’t say I’ve seen any of that so far.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  16. Paradise88

It's been 7 games since we won a game of football, at any stage of the season that is disgraceful for us.

Game 8 is against 3rd place of Croatia, great!

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    3rd place of Croatia? I'll have to Czech that..

Ozzie Hoop likes this.
  18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    This annoys me because in reality, you're spot on. No chance are we winning the league this year. I watched the huns game yesterday, they were * mince. Created * all. If they sell Morelos and Kamara, they will struggle in my opinion but they will still walk the title and that's what infuriates me more. Had we got Hart, Buta and Lovric in the door last week, we would have been in a decent position

19. murphy88

Since last season where we were absolute garbage, we have lost our best player in Ajer and our club captain in Brown. Not one of our new signings has had time to properly settle in yet and we still need a bare minimum 4 starters brought in. No sure what fans expect given they circumstances to be honest.

Ozzie Hoop and Noskeil like this.
  20. murphy88

Far better Celtic teams than last night have gone to Tynecastle and lost. A manager has to be given a fair crack of the whip to properly be assessed. Postecoglou hasn’t had that.