1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

when was the last time you ever seen a celtic defence so bad?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jul 31, 2021.

Discuss when was the last time you ever seen a celtic defence so bad? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We haven't had a great defensive record since Wanyama played for us. He and Forster were so good that Ambrose's lapses in concentration were masked.

With Rodgers, we conceded, but knew that we would avenge that one goal with four of our own.

2. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Our defence isn't great but ive seen better celtic defences perform much worse in CL qualifiers and away to hearts.

We really need a run of easily winnable games.A few players wid be gid anaw:s:

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd love an ambrose. I mind he skined the entire Barcelona team once and done 17 backflips per goal. Some man. The GOAT.

4. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I cannot remember a time where we had a worse defence. We've always had a quality goalie since Douglas was about so I can't remember ever being worse inbetween the sticks than now. We had good fullbacks for years, izzy was great and then Tierney was even better, lustig was a quality player for years but tailed off in his last couple plus there was usually cover from others. Now we have only 1 recognised RB, who has not been good enough for years, 2x Lbs that are not fit for what's asked of them that then leaves us weaker as there's no cover when they're trying to play with the new tactics

CBs we have always had at least one solid reliable cb available for years and then a range of good but less consistent options to support and now we have youth and injuries.

5. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Like the newly promoted Championship side?

thailandceltic likes this.
  6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Hearts away is not easy. We could and should be winning it but to try and be clever and suggest it is an easy game is just plain stupid.

bagforlife and Senna s1979 like this.
  7. Born green

Tony Mowbray did a fairly stellar job of dismantling a pretty solid defence. Letting McManus and Caldwell go was criminal. (Along with McDonald, Robson, Naka, Hesselink, Hartley, and others) But he still had Boruc to bail out those in front of him, and I think german international, Hinkel, was still getting game time.

I've never forgiven Mowbray for completely torpedoing Strachan's team. At least Ange has the excuse that he inherited a weak squad. Mowbray created one.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Can'tbehooped and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  8. Barry Robson

As * as the defence is our attack is hardly any better. The defence is known to be sub standard spfl players, Bain, Ralston, Welsh, Murray and Taylor are what you would see from a Motherwell or Dundee Utd.
    * at the back and offer little going forward. Recruitment team need to go as its nothing short of an embarrassment that this is the state of the squad

oh bhoy likes this.
  9. john2061

Do we even have a recruitment team as we know we don't have a head of recruitment or a DOF .
    I think the club are dealing with agents and that's not good as they can say he's a great player and spin any old * .
    Do we even have a defensive coach at the club as the same old failings are there from last season and if we don't have defensive coach that's another black mark against this board .

Wee Baldy likes this.
  10. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I have been watching Celtic for about 60 years now and I can't recall a time when our defence has been so poor. We have had our fair share of dodgy keepers over the years or a defender who wasn't just as good as his teammates however, we have never had a full defensive unit so bad. It's scandalous that this situation has not been addressed however, it's not the only area that's sadly lacking at our club.

11. Barry Robson

I don't think we had had either for a long time, even if they have had it as a job title. It's incredible a club of our size are so bad at recruitment and coaching

john2061 likes this.