1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

For example, playing Bitton at center back, not playing to the strengths of your team and continually enforcing your own philosophy and backing Griffiths are huge own goals, for me.

Is that not the same mistakes Lennon made and got crucified? You are happy to lose the next 37 games but not blame the Manager? As poor as some of our players seem to be, they are still better than most of the SPL if coached correctly, set up and play to their own abilities, not trying to turn them all into Messi !! Yes the board have certainly fecked us over but Ange knew what he was getting into. Some of that football against Hearts was the same as we watched all last season, pass, pass, pass with no where to go, no idea, no plan B and no tactical change when bringing on late subs, Ange needs to take some of the blame.

2. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    This is what we all feared when Eddie howe * us about. The time it took chasing that * has set us back tremendously. We all believed he had signed the paperwork and just waiting to be announced. We believed the work was getting done and behind the scenes we were rebuilding the team and club.

The minute we knew that wasn't the case it was obvious how our season would go. You either find a manager who is oven ready and has his own team to do these things or you will struggle big time. Either the club or the manager need some sort of scouting system and I don't believe for one minute that we have grabbed a guy from the other side of the world who knows our markets and is able to work within our budget. People keep talking about anges transfer targets. Apart from kyogo are you sure there are any?

Bernie Bhoy likes this.
  3. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    Out of his depth

Bernie Bhoy likes this.
  4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Playing Bitton was baffling. Illogical, I'd say.

But I never expected Ange to do well. He was never known for making his teams defensively solid, and he inherited a shitshow in defense. Board did not fully back him, and won't do so now, either.

I only had hope he wouldn't be a yes man. And he certainly isn't a yes man. So, no harsh insults coming Ange's way from me.

Artorias and bhoy81 like this.
  5. CountyDownFaithful

I totally agree, the board have shafted us once again. The board have zero excuses when it comes to their failure off the pitch.

On the pitch Ange can only work with what he has available to him. Even if we have a decent squad by the end of the window it will be too late. The players thrown together 4/5 games into a season and probably 6 points behind by that point.

Managers like Ange need a full pre-season with a settled squad to implement his ideas properly. That’s why it’s more likely to be a season of transition as he and the players will be learning on the job.

We should have been able to do the bulk of the rebuild in the summer but the board wasted crucial months chasing Howe. Everything from there onwards has been a pure scramble.

6. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Looking at what he has to work with and the signings brought in so far, the guy has been shat on from a great height. Bain, Barkas, Ralston, Taylor, Bitton, Welsh, Murray. Imagine any manager coming in to the club and that was what they had to work with defensively. Not a dig at Welsh and Murray. Welsh should still be getting minutes here and there and Murray shouldn't be near the first team yet. Add to that he has one fit striker it seems, that isn't bothering his *. One fit winger for a CL qualifier that probably wasn't even his signing, who is also only 19 years old. Was Starfelt his signing ? Were we linked with him before ?

Until the guys on the board are forced out, this * will continue no matter who is in charge. Forced signings, long drawn out transfers or losing out on targets due to a few quid, loans from any EPL team that has some dud that'a surplus to requirements, which probably falls under the forced signing umbrella. Not signing players till after CL qualifiers and the league has started. The same story season after season with them.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Absolute drivel once again.

8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We were not linked with Abada or Starfelt before. Abada might not be Ange's first pick, because it was an easy Dudu Dahan transfer. However, he looks decent, so I would not point that out as the main issue.

9. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

You've completely missed the point. Did Ange decide on these signings is my question ? I don't care how decent someone looks if it wasn't his signing. Our board shouldn't be deciding who we sign.

I never said anything about Abada being linked before.

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Okay, fair enough. It is not often that we know which players were brought in at the request of any given manager, unless an obvious link exists.

11. leeso-ardoyne

Calm heads are needed here. This man is only in the job a few weeks and as said previously in here, it will take time to get his stamp on things. People are to quick to judge and have over looked the dodgey decisions against us yet again! That offside goal is allowed and that * should have been sent off and the game changes. I seen enough in that game last night to be comfortable knowing Ange is going to come good once he gets his own team! Anyone rights this season off already is a looney tune IMO. No way I'll conceded the league so early ffs. We are Glasgow Celtic ffs. It's definitely going to be n interesting season but one thst will be enjoyable I do believe.

AussieGreek likes this.
  12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Unless the board are ousted very quickly, no chance. The board thus far haven't even let the manager have his preferred staff. Signings have been put on hold. And the manager demands his players play a tactic that requires a far better standard of players than we have.

13. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    A bit of perspective needed as well. This is hearts away we're talking about.

This was always going to be harder than the mjittyland games for me. Especially with them just being back in the league and wanting to skalp teams for their supporters belief in some myth they were cheated into relegation. They were pish and deserved to go down. The way they brought our game into disrepute afterwards was unforgivable and I'm more * off about the fact we couldn't smash these diet hun * for that reason.

Always was going to be a hard game.

14. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Lennon inflicted much more damage to us than Ange has. Lennon's mistakes ranked in the thousands, Ange is on 3. So yes, while we Ange has made similar mistakes to Lennon, he hasn't made anywhere near enough for me to really complain about.

Are you expecting to overhaul our style in 3 competitive games? There are signs of progress on the pitch, although results are what matter.

I think everyone was unanimous in thinking any win would do last night. That's the standard we're at now. We'd expect a really difficult opening game against the team that was promoted from the division below last season. It's a massive job ahead of him and I'm not exacting anything from this season even if we had Klopp in charge.

Our players are better than most but we also have players in certain positions who aren't. There's also a lack of depth in all areas. Any off days or injuries and we're done in.

Yes, I was exaggerating at losing the next 37 games. I'm not expecting to. The point is he does have a free swing at this season. The board are entirely at fault.

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Only a couple weeks until we play them. After that game it could actually be league over. Thats what its like here. Remember they never lost last season. Weve already lost 1. We play 4 times. So now we must win 1 just to catch up. Win 3 of the 4 meetings to now have more points if we both beat the rest of the league again. Another loss? Then were *. Yes they won't go unbeaten. Infact they may loose more because players will fully concentrate on the champions league so in essence that may help us.

I'm rambling, but I'm * off and sick of this *.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  16. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Who made you a genius mate ? Put up or shut up. I have my opinion, where's yours ?

Marky1967 likes this.
  17. Mr Diggler

You don't get time at Celtic. At Celtic you either win or you will be forced out. The fans don't and won't accept it. Only for Covid last year Lennon would have been gone in November as Parkhead would have been so toxic. Ange better get up to speed and fast. Personally I don't see it- he hasn't got the backing to even bring in his own backroom team. If you need time and patience then you are in the wrong movie when u come to Celtic.

honda likes this.
  18. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I am referring to the season just past as well.

19. TheHappyLoss

Way too early to right the guy off. He’s got 3 horrendous defenders two awful keepers and a centre forward over dosed on Prozac. Despite that we were by far the better team for 80 minutes last night. We are effectively starting every game with only 6 or 7 guys that are actually decent at football

The big Viduka likes this.
  20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s definitely too early to right him off, however he will now be feeling a bit of pressure, and that’s not a good sign this early on in the season, particularly with more tricky European ties to navigate and then ibrox soon after.

He needs to navigate through the next Europa qualifying round and win every domestic game up until the ibrox game, basically.