1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scubaroo

Having watched him since his days at South, I can tell you his commitment to the system is one of the reasons why alot of people DONT like him, and those that do still find it a massive frustration, but its not to say he won't make changes, we will always state the change from back 4 to back 3 with Australia being a major point.

I made a a point a few weeks ago, when he took over Melbourne and they went to play Brisbane his former side who were still playing Angeball, he was just trying to install that style into Melbourne (3 games into the season). Melbourne walked away with a 5 nil loss.

It's hard to get results with new style and new players. The longer he goes without new signing the longer the period is change will take.

2. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Soro is horrendous. Stands still in the centre circle behind their CF. We need more than 2-3 players, nowhere near enough movement.

Agree that there are too many touches being played. Turnbull was rank tonight.

Offside flag cost us big time.

3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Lets not just look at Ange here. Some basic things were lacking that all footballers at that level need to do irrespective of the coach, and are a given. The centre backs need to command their defence. Souttar's goal should not have happened. Bitton was standing in front of him when the ball came over and did not get off the ground to compete for the ball with his head. Defenders need to compete for the ball as it comes over. They also need to match up physically, each with a picked player to mark. Attack the ball for dear life - head it out for a corner, head it out, head it out of danger but head it out ! Ball watching in the final seconds of the game and hoping the ref will blow the whistle does not make sense and lets down all the fine work that has been done during the match. You play with intensity till the final whistle. Ralston gets a lot of criticism but when you look at him playing his face is a study in concentration. He is no McGrain but he does the best that he can do. You can not ask more of a player but to play to the strengths that have. If they do not then you start to ask questions.

Christie should not be shooting for goal from awkward angles. He could have rolled the ball to the incoming player centrally for a better result. Forrest needs to be more composed when shooting.

Craig Gordon. Why on earth did Celtic allow this guy to leave the club ? A tried and tested goalkeeper with safe hands and a commanding physique who was familiar with the setup and his fellow players at the club and was settled.Barkas was obtained as a big money signing to impress the punters pre - season. Barkas was an unknown in terms of fitting in. Personality ? Character ? Adjusting to the climate,the culture, the expectatations, the language, the food, etc. Craig Gordon did not have to deal with that . The club could also have saved 5 mill in transfer costs and wages as well.

Who the * makes these daft decisions when you already had A CAPABLE KEEPER AT HOME ?

Marky1967 and kramer1 like this.
  4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You also don’t pick up a game of fifa for the first time, batter it on legendary and stick your goalkeeper on the wing mate.

You put it on easy, play players in their position until you get used to it.

Bernie Bhoy and dbhoy72 like this.
  5. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Agree. These reporters are simply trying to bait him to get a controversial reaction. Ange will not suffer fools but he also keeps calm and polite.

6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Sometimes you have to let players realise their responsibilities out there on the field and get their own mental 'wake up ' call, and not have them expect a 'get out of jail card' when things get tough. They need to find solutions to their own game as well, in the heat of battle. I am sure that Ange is also looking for that in his players, a chance to redeem themselves during the course of the game. If they are injured or out of puff that is a different matter.

7. James Gold Member Gold Member

'Anges teams don't play like that' and words to that effect are annoying me :giggle1: whether he's in the door 5 mins or 5 years it's his team. What about when he finished 9th last season after winning the league the year before were they both his teams or just the good one ?

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Yes. It also gives a defense time to consolidate when this lateral passing is going on.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    When players start thinking like a team and not themselves. Too many players dribbling, incapable or not wanting to play a first time ball, not running off the ball or making space,shooting from low percentage goal scoring angles.

Also many players think they have won the lottery when they sign a contract. They need to wake up and realise they are employees and are expected to work and follow instructions, not believe they are doing the club a favour by playing for Celtic. Bill Shackley at Liverpool was very conscious of the responsibility the club and the players had towards the fans back in those days before sponsorship and tv rights. He was right to say that the fans who earn their weekly wages and spend their money to come and watch their team need to be treated with respect because they earn their wages by the sweat of their brows in shipyards, foundries etc. Those footballers on the pitch need to do the same - earn your money !

A club only survives and exists because of its paying supporters. They deserve to get genuine effort on the pitch and value for money. For many it is the only bright day for them each week and they need to feel the joy and the pride.

Marky1967 and kramer1 like this.
  10. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Can anybody on here tell me the last meaningful game celtic won when you got up in the morning and could not wait to get to work for a bit banter I honestly cannot remember

seanm likes this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Mate. Don’t take this the wrong way.

You talk more * than ten arses. Bill Shankly, joy and pride, value for money?

What in the * does any of that have to do with what you were asked?

Ange’s team is not creating enough and losing too many. He is asking players to do things they are incapable of doing. * all to do with fans, value or managers from days of yore.

He needs to play to the strengths of what he has until he gets what he needs or this season - and unfortunately his job - is going to get away from him, very * quickly.

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I'm blaming Ange for * all. The problem is much bigger than him.

He won't have any criticism from me this season as long as the board are in place. He could lose the next 37 matches but I won't say anything about his role in it as the board have done this to the club after years of stupidity, negligence and arrogance.

Edit: that's not to say he's not going to make mistakes or I'm not going to call him out on those. I just mean that he gets a free pass this season as the constraints are much more than him not getting the right players in quick enough.

For example, playing Bitton at center back, not playing to the strengths of your team and continually enforcing your own philosophy and backing Griffiths are huge own goals, for me.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  13. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I fear that this guy has 0% of succeeding here.

A small part is down to his tactical naivety, the vast majority is down to the people he is working for.

Guardiola or Conte wouldn’t have got us into the CL group stages with the squad we have and I’ve seen better Celtic teams lose at Tynecastle, but aye it’s not looking good.

In the boards defence they have done well in reducing my expectations so much that if we finish 9th in the league I’ll still not be as angry as I was last year, when an unprofessional jakey was telling me how spoiled and entitled I was.

bhoy81 and seanm like this.
  14. Mr Cleansheets

I always said it would be a bumpy ride. Ange will believe he was brought in by the board to play the system for which he is famous.

If they don't back him then they have deliberately put him in a place of potential conflict with the fans.

I expect him to turn it around but only if he gets at least three (preferably six) first team players this window who are capable of playing Angeball.

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Bumpy ride? Another 2 or 3 results like that and he will be on the way out. No idea how to attack, no plan, no subs. Angeball looks a failure and our cheapskate board will make sure of it. He will be back off to Japan with his tail between his legs before December.

bhoy81 and seanm like this.
  16. CountyDownFaithful

Easier said than done, especially for our support, but we need to be patient with Ange.

Let’s accept that this season is going to be a period of transition. We can’t afford another embarrassment but neither can we expect a miracle with the current squad.

Not what we want but it’s the reality of where we are. Both the board and Neil Lennon have driven us so far into the ground, it’s going to take time to fix this.

17. oh bhoy

for someone who is supposedly attack,attack,attack! his team has been horrific at creating chances thus far

Sgt Neppers*, bhoy81 and honda like this.
  18. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

And so does the Manager, expecting instant change with mostly the same players and coaching staff from last season. No plan B , some of our players are just not good enough to play his system so he needs to adapt it to the players we have.

19. Mr Hoopy

I don't think we should accept that this is a transition period at all. Fans have bought season tickets, merchandise and so on and should not be accepting second best just because the board have shafted us. The club has the funds to put this right and must invest in the players Ange has identified along with a new backroom staff and punt the sulky * who don't want to be there. It's only game 1...

20. JamesM09

This is spot on in my opinion.

I don’t know why people are so quick to call it a transition period and just write everything off.

It’s excuses from people that can’t do their jobs properly.

Maestro 08, Bernie Bhoy and Mr Hoopy like this.