1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Women’s Team

Discussion in 'Celtic F.C. Women' started by ddub11, Mar 27, 2019.

Discuss Celtic Women’s Team in the Celtic F.C. Women area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Our academy seems to be excellent on the women’s side.

tarboltontim likes this.
  4. Priest

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Good luck ladies :50:

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jodie Bartle CSC.

neilly1987 and Officer Doofy like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic FC Women are delighted to announce the signing of the first ever Chinese women’s footballer in the UK, as Fran Alonso adds midfielder Shen Mengyu from Shanghai Shengli FC to his squad for 2021/22.

The Chinese internationalist midfielder who can play both centrally and out wide will make history on her arrival as she becomes the first ever female Chinese professional player to ply her trade in the UK subject to the satisfaction of usual conditions and international clearance.

The dynamic and combative 19-year-old worked her way through the Chinese youth set up, notably scoring at the 2018 Under-20 World Cup at just 17, and earned her first senior call-up in 2020 becoming the youngest member of the squad.

Most recently, she narrowly missed out on selection for the 2020 Olympic team having been involved in the initial squad of 26 and the qualifying rounds.

With an eye for goal and an assist, the teenager brings great tournament experience to Celtic, having played in the Under-16s and Under-19s AFC Women’s Championships before heading to the 2018 Under-20s World Cup in France.

Her gold medal in the 2017 National Games saw the youngster promoted to from Shanghai Shengli’s senior side and make her step into professional football.

Signing after three years with the Chinese Women’s Super League side, the move will bolster Fran Alonso’s already strong midfield as the Celts head into a historic season in which they make their Champions League debut

Phoenix Rise and tarboltontim like this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  11. Priest

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Sarah Ewens has signed for Birmingham. That’s a huge loss.

neilly1987 likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

For new defender Cheyenne Shorts, it’s all about getting game-time in the Hoops after a COVID-ravaged year and a half at Orlando Pride and Saint Etienne forced her out of action.

Fran Alonso strengthened his defence with the signing of the centre back from the NWSL side and the American admitted she’s desperate to get out onto the pitch and represent the Celts, after the pandemic hit pause on her up-and-coming career so far.

The 22-year-old also said the chance to play in the Champions League was too big an opportunity to turn down, as she explained why Celtic was the right switch for her.

“It’s just such an incredible, huge club with an amazing history that I can’t wait to be a part of,” Shorts began.

“I was really excited to be a part of a growing league and when I had my first meeting with Fran it was really telling of his ideas and ambitions of the team, and his style of play fit really well with what I want to develop.

“The Champions League is also a dream of mine so it was hard to pass up, and I’m really excited. Everyone here speaks English which is great coming in from France, and its nice even just having breakfast and lunch together to sit and talk with the girls and make friends.

“With the type of person and type of player I am, I think I do better when I have those personal relationships. I think getting those relationships will be very beneficial but I’m excited to get to know them all. Everyone has been so nice already and the coaches are awesome so I’ve had a great start.”

While the Coronavirus has undoubtedly affected world football, it does seem that while players across the globe returned to play, Shorts couldn’t seem to catch a break despite leaving the States in search of game-time.

She said: “I’m from Denver and went to university there and played all four years, but in my senior year I got drafted into the NWSL and Orlando Pride. So I left and into pre-season there, but then COVID hit and the season was cancelled and everyone went home, which I’m sure would’ve been the case here as well. They then decided to do the Challenge Cup which was the bubble tournament, so I went through another pre-season and the day before we were about to leave for it, a bunch of people tested positive so we had to drop out.

“At that point, that was the only thing the NWSL were doing and I really wanted to get some games in, so I went to France and Saint Etienne in September. I started training with them and got some friendlies and a game in, but the next week France went into lockdown again from their second wave, and the games were postponed and eventually cancelled. I was there from mid-September until April training but we had no games, so I went back to Orlando this summer, but I then got a call from Fran, and I thought, ‘let’s do it, I’m excited for a new challenge’.”

And she’s now hoping that hunger and her impressive athleticism can benefit Celtic, with the centre half raring and ready to go.

“I definitely need to get out and get back into the groove of everything, but I’m happy to be thrown right into the deep end. I’ve been training and waiting all year to finally start playing, so I can’t wait for games and to be able to develop.

“I’m pretty physical - I think my strongest attribute is my athleticism, but then I think building my relationships off of the field is really helpful, so I’m excited to try and bring both of those sides to the club,” she added.

tarboltontim likes this.