1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Don't think he will see out 2

thailandceltic likes this.
  2. JamesM09

I think the Aussie guys in the forum that are new to Celtic would be doing themselves a favour by admitting the situation here is far more complex and difficult that any of them could possibly have anticipated.

It might be true on first glance many Celtic fans questioned Ange, but Aussies are equally guilty of underestimating Celtic and how it (unfortunately) works here.

There’s no doubt for me at this point that Ange is shell shocked with how we do things and the problems at the club. To his credit I think he’s handling it exceptionally well at the moment. Lesser men would’ve crumbled.

martin_d and cfcturbo like this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yes.

This, January and next summer.

It is the least he deserves. Noone else will turn this around quicker than him AND we gave Lennon till March and allowed him to fall hopelessly behind and make this mess even worse.

That should be a precedent now.

Chopping and changing managers will do us no good, unless we crumble insanely under him or something goes wrong which only HE can be blamed for, I'd be giving him a year. Said it before. Year and a half if youre allowing him into January 2023.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Knowing this board hes probably in a windowless studio flat.

martin_d, MAP, Avatar Daizen and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He will need 15 windows because he will get peanuts in each one

thailandceltic likes this.
  6. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

This is what I said yesterday play with what you have we all know he likes a certain way but trying to play it with these players won't work

The Prof likes this.
  7. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The vast majority of my ire goes towards the board. The time wasted under Lennon and courting Howe is unforgivable.

Ange doesn't get a complete free pass tho.
    Three things off the top of my head.

1) playing out of defence with the players currently available is suicide. I'm all for a manager who has a vision and sticks to his guns, but to a point. They're (the defence) not good enough right now.
    2) not bringing in any of his own staff suggests a bloke just happy to get the gig, it's a big mistake.
    3) calling out the board now? Really? Had he done any due diligence on how things work here with the * in charge? He should've known this was how things worked.

I'm still not 100% convinced on Ange but on point 3 above, maybe he did do his homework and figured if things go pear shaped he'd make it him v the board and get the fans onside. Those comments last night weren't exactly subtle, if it comes down to him v the board he gets my backing.

8. JamesM09

Fair post I would say.

I go back and forward on point 1 but I think I’m settled on agreeing with Ange’s approach. He’s being honest and upfront with how he’s playing and essentially putting a marker down saying this is how Ange plays and you hired me, so get me my players or sack me.

Point 2 I completely agree with. I don’t care what he’s done at other clubs, he should be bringing in someone that knows him and is loyal to him. I dare say he’s realised that now.

Point 3 I assume he’s had assurances things would change under McKay. Obviously he doesn’t feel that’s happening so he’s doing the right thing and letting us know.

Overall I’m reluctant to criticise Ange because he’s doing his best in a very tough situation. The only one I’m disappointed in is the Griffiths decision.

9. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Pretty much what I have been saying

JamesM09 likes this.
  10. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Good to see Ange saying what every Celtic supporters knows - that he's being let down by the board in terms of recruitment.

JamesM09 likes this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    The problem with a system like Ange's is you need the entire team to be up to speed and comfortable with it. That leads to a dilemma when first implementing it: do you scrap that style until you get the players you need, then try to implement it to the entire team all at once during the season? Which is no easy task. Or do you get the entire team playing the system now, even with players that aren't suited to it, so at least the majority of them that can play it are ready, and try to get other players that can in ASAP? The latter is clearly the option Ange is taking, no doubt with assurances from on high players will be coming "soon". Unfortunately he took them at their word on that.

12. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I think the key to that is if you don’t play your way and demonstrate that the players you have aren’t up to the job then you run the risk of the board saying, “you are just like the last guy and also have no results”. It’s the fastest way to get sacked.

OTOH play your way and you can demonstrate that you don’t have the players required you are more likely to get players because they did hire you for your way.

It’s a fine line between pleasure and pain.

OziBeerMan and Lupis like this.
  13. Gurru 991

We will never know what Ange was promised but I'm sure he had done some research into Celtic & possibly made some phone calls prior to signing. He obviously felt that he could imprint his personality on the club & move his career forward. I personally feel that he can still do that but will have to fight for every inch. Having the fan base behind him will give a slight edge when dealing with the board & the board will know if Ange * off they will be in a world of hurt. Very few managers with any kind of reputation would want to step in midseason with the transfer window closed.
    Overall I feel that as long as the fan show support he will have a definite edge & can move the club forward.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  14. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Hope the big man gets a massive ovation from the fans at the next home game just to let him know the fans are behind him, I'm sure he does anyway but he's clearly beyond frustrated right now with the * show hes been left with and the lack of urgency from those above him ...
    Also does anyone know if his family has arrived yet? I just remember a few weeks ago he said they havent yet...

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Why are there still Australian folk trying to tell us what Ange will and won’t do :56:

We’ve got past that point now, he’s our manager we’ll take him at face value from here on in thanks.

Far as being knocked out goes, he doesn’t take a single bit of criticism from me. The fact it took extra time for them to beat us with that back 4 and goalkeeper is a win in itself - the worst squad we’ve ever went into a qualifier with and by some margin as well.

Peej, MAP and Cena like this.
  16. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Nah he was shitbagged a fair bit. We heard things like ‘ but he’s Australian’ ‘ but it’s only the a League and j League ‘ ‘ never coached in a pressure environment’ ‘ he’s not Celtic caliber’ etc etc. Naturally we defended him. It may have come across as blowing smoke up his *, fair call.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  17. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Will whole heartedly agree I had no idea what a basket case the club is. I knew all about the pressure and the fish bowl and the fans expectations etc.
    But that board room. Geezus.

JamesM09 likes this.
  18. grazor

What aussie "hadn't heard of celtic until now". Besides the fact that there is probably not a single a league fan who hasn't heard of celtic, I would bet every aussie on this forum has watched tons of games with rogic, mcdonald and dukes

Most of us who come on this forum watch a bunch of other teams with aussies in them including some of your ucl opponents like rosenberg (gersbach) and midgitiland (mabil) as well as other fringe ucl sides with aussies in them (vienna, Genk, Red Star). We actually have a pretty good idea about the level compared to other leagues

19. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I wouldn’t call I shitbagging by the majority tbh, when people say not coached in a pressure environment they mean the pressure with Celtic is levels above what he has done before, he drew a friendly and * were going tonto.

You will find most saying they wanted to be wrong, but an unknown manager to most of us coached in places where we hardly watch if ever, most will be skeptical and a bit pessimistic and that can come across as slagging.

Peej and OziBeerMan like this.
  20. SuperZidane

I think that's a fair assessment. I've been a Celtic fan all my life but lived in Aus for 12 years so I could see it from both sides.

The main thing now is that the overwhelming majority of fans are right behind Ange and want him backed and given a fair chance. I honestly haven't seen anyone who blames him for the ECL exit - Chris Sutton said it straight that this is on the board (particularly Desmond + Lawwell).

I do agree that Ange has made a mistake with Kennedy and Strachan. That one's on him - not the board. I have seen no evidence of him attempting to bring in his own guy(s) and being prevented from doing so. He didn't have a regular assistant who followed him in Aus/Japan but I think he'll find that it would be really helpful to have someone who he knows and is in tune with his methods.

I've certainly never bought into the 'yes man" crap that was peddled by a few people. He is certainly his own man. From the beginning my view has been that the best we can hope for is that, by Easter next year, he has produced a team that provides genuine optimism/enthusiasm for the 22/23 season.

Even if he is backed (and that's a big if) - I think it would take any manager a minimum of 2 transfer windows to get this "squad" in any sort of decent shape. He's also not going to ask the club to buy 3 x 20m players.

His comment about "certain people" at the club yesterday was pretty mild by his standards.

He should be backed and allowed to succeed or fail on his own ability. Although, this is his big chance in club football - I have no doubt that, if he feels that his hands are being tied and he's not being supported - he'll certainly call it out clearly and walk away if the situation is bad enough.

I hope it doesn't come to that but it might not be a bad thing for this club as it would really show Desmond +Co up for what they are. If Ange ended up walking out and saying what his reasons were - no decent manager would be interested in working for this board.

craigtheceltic, eire4 and OziBeerMan like this.