1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Aye then after the game saying,” he thought we were absolutely magnificent tonight and some of the football we played at times was breathtaking “

callumrae1967, Artorias and seanm like this.
  2. MAP

I'm glad you said that, if anything needs changing at the club its Ange's (black) shirt - about 4 x sizes too small. It's been bugging me for weeks.

OziBeerMan, AussieGreek and NomDePlum like this.
  3. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    We don't need two keepers, 2 center backs or three strikers in the door. Although I'd love for that to be the case.

Barkas or Bain will be kept on as number two. Starfelt, Juillien and Welsh mean we only need one more central defender and we only play with one up top so Ajeti and Griffiths will be third and fourth choice after two new recruits.

Still, 14 players is a massive ask. It's doable though if we're clever and shrewd in the market. The problem is that we are currently neither.

Glad Ange has come out and called out our processes by saying perhaps he hasn't been clear enough when saying he needs recruits now. He needs help everyone can see it. The board are blind though and think they're doing a great job. *.

Dublin Celt, seanm and TheHappyLoss like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou watched Celtic ’s Champions League hopes die a painful death in Denmark last night but then insisted missing out on a £40m Euro jackpot is not a ‘catastrophe’.

But the bruised Aussie then admitted he may have failed to make the Parkhead boss realise just how urgently he needed new players ahead of the qualification showdown with Midtjylland.

Postecoglou ’s patchwork side crashed out 2-1 on aggregate after blowing a 1-0 lead for the second time in eight days before being KO’d in extra time. They now head into a Europa League double header against FK Jablonec of the Czech Republic with Postecoglou still scrambling for new recruits to beef up his ravaged squad.

But the big Aussie was quick to shoot down suggestions that last night’s shattering defeat has got his new reign off to a catastrophic start.

He said: “That’s pretty strong language mate, I don’t know what your definition of catastrophic is but it certainly doesn’t fit my definition of what happened tonight.

It’s obviously disappointing we didn’t get through but I can’t fault the effort of the players. They worked their socks off.

“I thought we controlled the game, had the chance to go 2-0 up and then straight away they scored and we lost a bit of momentum.

We just looked a bit tired at the end and lacked a bit of energy to get back into the game.

“But catastrophic to me means the end. This is far from the end.

“If you’re suggesting that this is a club falling apart and our season is finished, I don’t see it that way.

“Yes, it’s absolutely disappointing and Champions League football is a priority here. But, as I said, I can’t ask any more of the players. They did everything they could.

“We have a league campaign starting on Saturday and our focus shifts to that and getting off to a good start.”

When asked who should shoulder the blame for the defeat Postecoglou said: “Blame? I don’t blame people. I take responsibility. The responsibility is mine.

“Again, you are using really strong language that I don’t think merits that sort of view. I can’t fault the effort of the players - it’s not like they gave up or fell apart tonight - they gave everything they could. It was a tight contest and we didn’t get through so we move on to the next game.”

But the new boss then dropped a hint of his own dissatisfaction at being forced into the Champions League eliminators without his top summer transfer targets - and with one hand tied behind his back.

He went on: “I still think it’s my responsibility. I’m the person who has been put in charge.

“We haven’t got players in. Obviously I haven’t done a good enough job convincing people we need to bring people in.

I’m not going to shy away from it. I don’t say that because I’m some kind of martyr.

“I just think that’s my responsibility. That’s why I was brought in.

“I’ve tried to be as forceful as I can about what we need to bring in. The challenges we’ve had are well chronicled, but irrespective of the result, we had a really young squad out there with young players on the bench, that’s not the situation we need to be in.”

Asked if the Celtic board had failed to realise the urgency of a summer recruitment drive he added: “Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, I don’t know. I think I’ve been pretty consistent in saying we need more players in.

“We talk endlessly about the challenges we are facing. For our supporters they just want to see us bring reinforcements in that we need.

“I’ve just got to keep reinforcing my views on it as strongly as I possibly can.”

Postecoglou axed blundering keeper Vasilis Barkas for last night’s second leg and replaced the £5m Greek with Scott Bain.

And when asked afterwards about a potential swoop for former England keeper Joe Hart he said:

“Again we have been linked with so many people and that’s a frustrating bit with me. I would rather be talking about people we brought in rather than people we have been linked with.

“As for Scott, he’s been training well and I just felt that, after the weekend game, that with such a young back four they needed a strong voice behind them.

“Scott provides that, he is very vocal and he doesn’t mind leading from back there. Barky is a different kind of personality, he is a bit more quiet and reserved.

‘I just felt we needed that tonight, knowing that playing away from home there are going to be times when they are going to be a little bit under pressure and need that encouragement.

“To be fair I think they held out well. We were not under pressure that much, particularly during the 90 minutes.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

This guys been done, sold a dead horse. The boards * him over. Wanted a chance in European football? It won't last long down to the * the board bring.

Angeball is already on a wobbly peg because its cheaper to replace him than buy players that want to play for celtic. I'd be surprised if we have enough players to put a starting 11 on the pitch the amount of players they are selling and not replacing. Who needs players if the balance sheet looks healthy. Thought we had big downsizing before? Right now its unbelievable the downsizing thats going on, almost fire sale and not replacing. * is going on. Cant hide from us fans for long, were back and the * will know it. Looks like banners out game one of the season.

seanm likes this.
  6. Martybhoy53

Yes

seanm likes this.
  7. seanm

Hope so HH

8. seanm

Bang on pal HH

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair edouard did try extremely hard...

not to get injured.

seanm likes this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I will blame him for not using substitutions earlier. No matter how little trust one has in the bench, obvious fatigue must be responded to. The board brought him into this mess, however.

RiquelmeCSC and Artorias like this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Personally that was a message to the board.

craigtheceltic, JML67 and seanm like this.
  12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I get your point, but he is paid to win games. I'd put trust in fringe players after seeing Ralston outperform Edouard.

seanm likes this.
  13. jambo_cfc

Good on Ange basically saying the board didnt listen to him that he needed signings! Shouldnt have need to convince these tory * ! Dont think the excuse of “we cant get who we wanted because it hinges on champions league” will be pit up with this time !

seanm likes this.
  14. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Aye same. It was very disappointing seeing him not use subs sooner. Eduard is a disgrace.
    I actually think his interview with the BBC was a bit embarrassing tbh, if I was interviewin him I'd have pounced on the "not the end comment" cos it is the end of the CL. I loved his point im the other interview "I've obviously not made it clear enough we need players in"

Poor * has been hung out to dry with his squad.

seanm likes this.
  15. JamesM09

I’m delighted to see Ange calling the board out, but sadly I don’t think it will work.

I’d imagine they are already looking at an exit strategy for him. They just won’t tolerate that.

16. Heb Celt

This will be a lengthy process,won’t be until this time next year where Ange should be judged.Another 2 transfer windows needed,the guy has basically been given the task of building a whole new team.Not expecting to win the league this year.

honda likes this.
  17. Heb Celt

No need to rush any new signings now either,take the time and only bring in quality and at least get the spine of a great team started.

18. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    2 players are signed, possibly a third to come. It won't be enough but it'll at least give us a 25% improvement. I can see the team gelling later in the season, which may be too late to mount a serious push for a title this season.

honda likes this.
  19. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Looking through what people were saying last night about the board. It is quite scary realising that they treated Rodgers the same way and * him about with signings. If they didn't back him to the hilt they won't back anyone. The board need removed, there is no ambition at all. Keep coasting along so they can draw a wage or use the club as a feather in their cap.
    We are a shambles and change is needed but it won't happen, the record sales on season books was an endorsement of their work. If very few season books had been sold we would have had signings in for that set of qualifiers there (then the books could and would have been renewed) they needed held to ransom.

20. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I believe in him and think he will do well given the resource's, unfortunately the decision makers will not supply him with what is needed

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Artorias likes this.