1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

I love this thread.

I've read the whole thing twice.

2. jj81

* up man , you think we want us to lose games to get pats on the back on a forum of strangers, and to not back the manager or see want him to fail.

Canny help think you're at the wind up.

3. SuperZidane

Quite simply that is a mistake - Kennedy had almost 3 years under Rodgers who is undeniably a world class coach. Many of us thought that he was being ignored by Lennon last year but when he got his chance, he simply played the same underperforming players and rubbish "tactics".

I totally support Ange and I don't believe this "yes man" stuff but - frankly, he's no Rodgers.

Kennedy is not good enough - if Ange wants to think he can make him a top coach and keeps him around - that's on him. McKay said that the backroom staff decisions were up to Ange.

I want Ange given a fair go but, if things aren't going well by November/December and he decides to bring in his own backroom staff - that wasted time is down to his arrogance and he will deservedly get the blame.

OziBeerMan, Damnati and Taz like this.
  4. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    ya * *

bagforlife, NomDePlum and Taz like this.
  5. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Strachan is one thing, if Ange wants to give him a shot, but Kennedy has been around the club for 20-odd years, and in the coaching system structure for 15+, ever since his playing career was curtailed so abruptly. In that time he has worked with a superb man manager, MO'N, a structure man, WGS, whatever the * Mowbray was, a passionate Lenny, an earnest but a little wet behind the ears RD, a topnotch manager in BR, and again a passionate but time has proven, a very limited Lenny the second time around.

As a former defender would hope that JK's natural instinct on the training pitch would be to ensure we always had a solid defence, no matter what, but let's just say that has more often than not, been far from being the case.

AussieGreek likes this.
  6. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    TBH, I get where he is coming from. Have held my water quite often and resisted calling more than a few people out for their * in this thread, because noone really knows how anything will turn out this early, as we have literally played a single pre-season friendly which is far too early to judge the progress of anything, and would urge others maybe get a little more supportive than seemingly already looking to sharpen knives.

7. jj81

If folk want to see their club lose games to get a one up on fellow fans due to a disconnect on the appointment of a manger , or whatever the reason then there's something seriously wrong them.

The orgies over this guy ( who I fully back and give a chance) have been astounding though.

You'd think all these aussie fans woulda already been on the forum considering Rogic......... but that's me being sceptical :)

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Mark my words. So far Kennedy and Strachan have been following Ange's instructions to the letter. If they step out of line then its time to say goodbye to those two. They know that is a scenario they do not want. Everyone has an end date, and this will be theirs if they do not abide. The club's reputation and success is at stake. Ange has been hired to bring success and at the same time rebuild the squad. He will bring in people if he deems fit.

10. MAP

I agree with this. Reading some of the crap on here you can see people (idiots) expect Dom to have have assessed the state of the club in his first week, and carried out any necessary modernisation/restructure by the end of his second. Similarly, Ange should have fully assessed every player and staff member (he has remit over) and all transfers etc should already have taken place.

A little patience would be sensible; Rome wasn't built in a day.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    My knowledge of AP is limited, despite keeping tabs on what the respective NT's have been upto over the years, we are both Celtic fans, first and foremost.

And while everyone knows AP was not the first choice, actually think it's a better choice than some. Coming from outside of the game here is not a bad thing, and really, after we were jerked around by Howe for so long (and who'se to say he would've been any better than Tony Mowbray, for example, after all?), so while my criticism was not directed at you, not at all, it seems that there are still those on here that have some preconceptions that anyone, irrespective of origin outside of the Scottish/British/European bubble, somehow could never be capable (much less deserving) of being able to prove themselves at this level.

OziBeerMan, Sydneysider and jj81 like this.
  12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I would agree with that rational and logical statement. The voice of reason. I know the roots that comes from.

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    From what I understand Griff is on a conditional contract. If he does not meet the conditions of the contract, then the contract is void. End of story. Move on.

14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I would think when a contract expires the player moves on if the club is looking for fresh blood and does not want to re-sign that player. What sort of contracts were Ralston and Griff offered for them to be still around prior to the start of the new season ?

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Good point re 4 consecutive managers - time to move on !

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

17. Mr Cleansheets

That largely describes me TBH. Celtic's always been my team in Scotland but I've taken a more active interest since Tam arrived. Ange ratchets up that interest yet again. Thoroughly enjoying the ride so far and the very erudite commentary on this forum.

NomDePlum and VT8 like this.
  18. jj81

:D I bet ye are

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Australia is a country of 25 million with a semi-professional set up that has existed at a national level for a relatively short time. We do not have the infrastructure or major multi-national corporate sponsorship of clubs that do exist in the UK and Europe. We are similar in size to the USA, and clubs in the national league need to fly great distances on a regular basis to compete with other clubs on a daily basis. Australia became federal government in 1901.

Scotland has a longer history as a country and a longer tradition as a footballing nation. In regards to qualifying for a World Cup, Scotland does not need to travel very far to play its games away and the climatic conditions they play in could not be described as extreme. They have also had many organised years to get the formula right to qualify for the World Cup finals every four years. I will not talk about the results at these World Cups.

Given the fact that Australia did not get to a World Cup until 1974 in Germany, and with basically an */semi-professional squad of players and did not disgrace themselves was a good thing. Since then the World Cup finals has been a reality that has been achievable. Australia is progressing in this regard.

Scotland, given the years it has had to achieve some greatness in regards to the World Cup has been sadly under achieving.

I would not be one to be casting stones.

20. SuperZidane

I'm very disappointed in this. If he's keeping them as "a big favour" to the board then he's not then man I thought he was.

I believe that he honestly thinks they'll become good coaches under him - for what's its worth - IMO, that's a mistake.

I don't expect him to produce miracles but this " at the appropriate time" bollocks makes me wonder. How long does he think he's got to convince the fans he's worth more than one season?

He has said himself "I will back my judgment in all these things. I take responsibility at the end of the day". That's fine with me - if he perseveres with JK/GS and we are lagging well behind at the turn of the year - he'd be well advised not to try using this is an excuse. I'll give him a fair shake but I'm not interested in him making changes when its too late. If we reach that point, there will be calls for a new manager for 22/23.