1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson Irvine

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Jhaf, Jun 11, 2016.

Discuss Jackson Irvine in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The links between Ange Postecoglou and any job that comes up in the English Premier League are perpetual.

And Jackson Irvine believes that will continue to be the case because of the scale of the impact his fellow Aussie has had at Celtic. The former Hoops, Hibs and Ross County midfielder reckons his former national team boss doesn't need to make the jump too soon and will be able to "pick and choose" when me makes that leap down south, should that be his desired path.

His theory is that Postecoglou is already in a position of strength being in charge at a club dominating silverware in Scotland and playing regularly in the Champions League. So he can be very relaxed about waiting for the ideal opportunity to come along, rather than jump in too soon at what could could turn out to be the wrong club.

As someone who's experienced being at Celtic and is now watching from afar in Germany, the St Pauli star knows it will take something special to lure him away, especially with what he's built in such a short time.

In an exclusive chat with Football Scotland, asked he if could see the 57-year-old moving on soon, Irvine said: "It's tough to say. I'm sure he'll be getting asked that question a lot.

"What they've built there in the short time he's been at the club has been such a huge turnaround in identity of the way they play and the culture around the group of players. I'm sure that'll be tough to pull him away from there, I've no doubt.

But if and when the time comes for that progression to go down and manage in the biggest league in the world I've got no doubt that opportunity will continue to arise for him because he's linked with just about every job when it comes up. I think he'll be in the privileged position of being able to pick and choose when he takes that moment, if he chooses to.

At the end of the day he's managing one of the biggest clubs in the world. Champions League level, winning trophies, it doesn't get much better than that as it is.

"As a former player who's worked with him and a fan of the club as well I'm just fascinated to see what the future holds and I'm sure make the decision when the time is right."

One theory among Celtic fans and other observers of Scottish football is that Postecoglou should hold out for a much bigger job than the likes of Leeds, where he is currently being linked.

Irvine wouldn't disagree.

It's funny the attitude when it comes to players leaving the Old Firm going into the Premier League," he added. "It feels like they almost need to go and prove themselves at the lower level in the league before they're trusted to make the progression to the top.

"We saw it with Van Dijk and Wanyama and other players. I think what those players do show is that the guys who play and coach at this level have the ability to go and play or coach at the top level.

"I can see why they have that attitude in some ways but I think it's misguided and I think a lot of these players and managers are capable of going to that level."

Postecoglou transformed the way Celtic played, implementing his favoured high-pressing, high-intensity style and they now run over the top of teams on a weekly basis

But would that approach be as successful in the more competitive environment in of the EPL? Having been a part of one of Postecoglou's squads, the 29-year-old reckons it's more about his ability to get players to buy into his way of working, which he's clearly adept at.

He said: "I think with my experience of working with him as a player, at the end of the day it's not about if that's the right way, it's if the players buy into the identity of what he's trying to do.

"By no means were Australia one of the world's best national teams but we were more than convinced that we could go out and play in tournaments against the biggest teams with the belief and a system and identity that he'd curated. So I think if everybody buys into it that's all that really matters."

Another Aussie who has been a revelation at Celtic this season is Aaron Mooy.

The 32-year-old has been starting more regularly in Postecoglou's side since starring at the World Cup and has been adding goals to his game on the way to becoming a huge fans' favourite.

It's been some turnaround after some supporters doubted the signing when he came in on a free transfer after struggling for game time in China. But his international team-mate insists it was never doubt for him.

"Yeah I don't think there was ever any doubt," he said. "It was similar to when Ange came in and there was people asking questions but that's the nature of the game, people are going to be sceptical.

But people who know these players and know football, he's a Premier League level player, there's absolutely no doubt about that.

"I've been lucky enough to play with him a lot over the years and his quality is so immense. He's on a fantastic run of goalscoring at the moment but his all-round play, he plays with a composure and a calmness which you don't come across often. I'm obviously delighted he's doing it at a club like Celtic."

Asked if fans are maybe yet to even see the best of Mooy, Irvine added: "Yeah, why not? I think we've only seen every player improve working with Ange and in that environment.

"His game is forever changing, he played as a deep-lying six for us at the World Cup, getting the ball in those positions and we're seeing him now playing higher and getting in the box and scoring goals and in a creative role.

"His game's always changing and he's got so much quality he can do any of those roles well."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member