1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphy88

Depends on what system you play. If we are playing with a lone striker then I agree that they have to be far more than just a poacher type player. However, in a two, then it can work. Just like it did when Griffiths was partnered alongside Edouard previously.

Kevski likes this.
  2. Kevski

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul hartley
    Definitely agree that it is excessive for a player who arguably isn’t any better than what we have already.

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If you’ve never understood it then you don’t understand football.

4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No matter what formation he’s in or who he’s playing alongside, Griffiths isn’t good enough for the highest level.

5. Kevski

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul hartley
    I understand football perfectly well and know exactly where Celtic are at this moment in time, I think you may have a bit of a problem on that front right enough…
    1) we are not playing at the highest level
    2) we can’t afford the type of player you are looking for unless we get a massive slice of luck!
    3) we are not in a position to adopt the attitude of not wanting a striker “who does nothing but score goals”

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    1. Why aren’t we playing at the highest level? Do you think signing players we know aren’t good enough to play at the highest level will get us there?

2. We can afford them, there’s plenty of players who’ve played well recently at the highest level we could’ve afforded.

3. The fact if we already have two offer heehaw aside from a few goals then it’s exactly the attitude we need to adopt.

7. Kevski

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul hartley
    1.We absolutely should be buying the best we can but we have to spread that money across an entire squad this season because of the neglect over past few years.

2) what players?

3) If it’s griff and ajeti you are talking about then fair enough but they have a season to prove everyone wrong and I think they will. Griffiths has scored at every level he has played at, whether he can get back to that is another story.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    1. This doesn’t make any sense. So does every other team with a similar budget to us.

2. We’ll since we’re talking about strikers , since we signed Dembele in that time alone Salzburg have signed Dabbur, Haaland and Daka with the dearest being €5m. That’s not even mentioning Koita and Adeyemi who will no doubt end up stepping up to that level as well.

3. He might’ve scored a goal or two but he can’t do it consistently. The idea that Leigh Griffiths was or is a player who could play regularly at the highest level and hold his own is delusional.

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Nisbet obviously has potential and that's what we will be paying for.

The fact he only scored 14 goals for Hibs shouldn't be a stick to beat him with, I watched Hibs a few times last season, they are * brutal.. He would get 10 more chances a game with us.

And no one knows yet if/or he is being signed as our number 1 striker.. I doubt he will.. he will be in a squad with 4 strikers and whoever is on form and scores regularly will play..

Noskeil and Crilly like this.
  10. shaunm

Should go for a double deal from hibs,6 million for Nisbet and Doig,no * about no add ons ect

11. murphy88

I never said he was.

12. Kevski

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul hartley
    1) not every other club with similar budgets has a rebuild the size of Celtic’s do they?

2) you are comparing Celtic with a multi million pound funded organisation that has arguably the best scouting system in the world! A whole network of clubs that offers a clear path for development. We have neither.

3) he did do it for a few seasons, that’s not delusional that’s just a fact! He has missed a lot of football through his own fault, injuries etc and it’s up to him whether he can do anything again. But not once did I say he will be able to produce at highest level again, that’s just you determined to hammer home your opinion regardless of what anyone may think.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

1. Salzburg have to rebuild every other season.

2. Then questions need to be asked why we don’t have a system in place to match the likes of Salzburg. There’s no reason why we couldn’t sign the same level of player they do. Does the Leipzig link help? Of course it does. But look at what some of our players have gone on to do. Prem, La Liga, Champions League winners.

3. He’s been here for 8 years and he’s had over 15 goals in all comps 3 times. The last time was 16/17.

Valhalla likes this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Salzburg have basically rebuilt 2/3 squads since we signed Dembele.

That’s a different argument. You asked what players are affordable and I just gave you one club. You can go look at teams who’ve had more success than us in Europe over the last few years and they’ll have had plenty of players we could afford.

He’s scored 4 in 7 seasons in the European group stages. Productive. His performances at that level is even worse than his scoring record.

But aye, on ye go.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t think he’s a striker that only scores goals. His link up play with Eddy was exceptional, there’s a reason two strikers up top wasn’t working when he wasn’t involved.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Work permits are a big one. They’re very good with the African market.

MacEwan likes this.
  17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If we had paid £1m for Nisbet a year ago I would have been fairly happy with that. But £4m, * off. 14 goals isn't really that good either. I'd rather just give Bayo a go as I think if he was playing for Hibs he would have done just as well.

greengrocer and Peej like this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

His link up play has always been his biggest weakness. Some of his passing is absolutely dreadful. One of the biggest culprits for making an * of basic passes in our squad.

Plus he’s not the type of player to hold up the ball and bring others in to play. Too wee and isn’t strong.

19. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I'm sure there was someone on here who said that we should have signed him when he was at Dunfermline. Seemingly we had been watching him however, we done our usual and fecked about just like we did with McGinn and missed the opportunity.

20. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    4m pound doesn’t but you very much in today’s market, we need to dispel the idea that it is a considerable sum. Even Scotland is not as cheap as it was just a few years ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.