1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It was much better reaching, all I was pointing out there was that we did go further than that team than they managed in that competition.

Think a lot of the time when we downplay our achievements under Lawwell it’s downplaying what we done us a club. The biggest issue I’ve always had with Lawwell and the reason I deem him as a failure is because of the myriad of different chances we had to kick on much further, that he didn’t take, not because he wouldn’t be capable of overseeing it. It was because his choice not to.

and that’s unforgivable.

2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    To me Lawwell’s only ambition was to turn a profit, he didn’t care about growing Celtic, not exactly hard when you’ve got a huge fanbase buying season tickets and merch.

oh bhoy and Liam Scales like this.
  3. JED

Anyone who works for a large company will know that the CEO is judged on results. Generally speaking results on and off the pitch have been more than decent at Celtic during his term as CEO. We've had bad times, and this past season is up there. But given all that is thrown at Celtic, the fact we remain financially strong and stable is positive. Now we need to focus on building on that for the season ahead. I have no doubt right now, the new guy is hoping he has as successful time (and of course more so!) than Lawwell. We might not agree with everything at Celtic and we will always want more, but I have little doubt that Lawwell met his scorecard far more than he missed

4. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    We all know we cant break the bank with huge expensive signings, but the frugality reached no bounds with this guy, and there in lies many peoples issue with him, including me. The McGinn saga as paying the asking price would not have broke the bank but we insisted on undervaluing the players price, and many other examples.

martin_d likes this.
  5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

managing to turn £40m debt into £50m cash in the bank is not a marvelous thing people tout on this thread. Its proof we have been under invested in. Yes get rid of debt, but why keep profit to be taxed on? That is his failure.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    alex_bhoy and martin_d like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Retired chief executive Peter Lawwell a Celtic director, according to a report.

The 62-year-old stepped down from his role at the beginning of July as he handed the Parkhead reins to new man Dominic McKay

Lawwell spent 18 years in the role, during which time the club won 29 trophies - including 13 league titles and four Trebles.

Former SRU chief operating officer McKay has taken control but it's been known since his official arrival that Lawwell still had a part to play.

He has held a position on the European Club Association board since 2014, representing Celtic and Scottish football's interests on the continent.

And he also sits on UEFA’s Professional Football Strategy Council, a body that discusses key issues such as Champions League reform.

McKay confirmed Lawwell would retain the role for a further two years following his retirement from the Premiership giants.

However, a report in The Times on Wednesday states that in order for Lawwell to do so, he must retain a "formal connection" to Celtic.

It's stated Lawwell remains on a non-PLC board alongside McKay, Eric Riley, Michael Nicholson and Michael McDonald - as shown in documents submitted to Companies House this week.

In June, McKay insisted his predecessor's responsibilities at Celtic had concluded but that it remained "really important" for his ECA representation to continue.

McKay said: "Peter will certainly finish up at the end of this month with his responsibilities at Celtic.

He'll extend — we've got two years left to go on the ECA, the European Club Association.

"And that's a really important role, for Scotland and for the club, to have a representative there.

"He'll stay engaged with that. And what's been brilliant during the whole transition, Peter has been fantastic for me.

"But he's achieved so much, he's been kind enough to say he's at the end of the phone for me. If there are any interesting questions I want to bounce off him, he's always going to be there for me and the club."

8. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

As I thought fingers still in the pie

martin_d likes this.
  9. saltire78

Don't see the story here... It's bog standard to offer a business officer a board position after decades of employment, especially as when the article says he holds other offices outwith the club that depend on it.

It's similar to Wenger getting a board position at arsenal when he retired. Doesn't mean he's still managing the team. Only way Lawell has more than input is if McKay is a soft touch, and I don't get that vibe at all

martin_d and Damnati like this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye it said that when it was announced as well, something about needing to for two years due to some position on some board.

11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Makes perfect sense as why would we want to lose those positions at the ECA/UEFA. Although I can see the he is still pulling the strings/McKay is a yes man posts coming.

Liam Scales likes this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye because Peter Lawwell is the type who likes to do all the same work he was doing for 17 years without the generous compensation package he was on.

He’s a kind soul like that.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  13. mayo

Kinda see why he had a pipe bomb at his gafff now

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Why couldn’t this parasite just * off?

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Get this to thr ex players thread or something

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's still involved at the club...

Gyp Rosetti, Hammy89 and G40B like this.
  18. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Dont :55::55::55::boxing:

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He hasn't gone away, you know.

stew37 and Moore like this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Bring him home :fear:

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk