1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Director of Football

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, May 31, 2021.

Discuss Director of Football in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Don't see the problem. Loads of contacts within the game, he's not the actual manager. Experienced enough to give advice when required and is very good with dealing with people. Your all upset because he's no got a French name. Gordeno strausman and you'd be cumin in your pants.

joemc likes this.
  2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Absolutely * * hour.

DD and the rest can just get tae *, Lawwell’s replacement is a * yes man.

This appointment will be DD fall back if Ange * it up so WGS steps in to the role to steady the ship.

Clubs a * joke and not forward thinking at all.

john2061 and cat123 like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

* up.

4. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sincerely hope you're at the wind up there

trackebhoy, cat123 and honda like this.
  5. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    How can you not see the problem?

You’re right that he has loads of experience and can give plenty of advice.

However, his style of football and his belief in how it should be played is the opposite of Ange and so far away from how we should be playing. His style of football was despised despite the success he brought us.

The biggest issue is a DOF is supposed to keep continuity between managers/head coaches, ensure the same style of play is kept and sign the players that suit that style. I just don’t see how that happens with Strachan in place, it’s never been part of his football philosophy.

Would love to be proved wrong but I really doubt it.

As well as that, how can you not see the conflict of interest with his son being a coach under Ange? What if they clash? What if he doesn’t want him on his staff? Yeah you’d hope Strachan being so experienced can split work and family but I think everyone would find that difficult.

It’s definitely the wrong appointment for me.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  6. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

There is no doubt Strachan Senior has knowledge and contacts of our game, he does show he has a passion for Celtic. However, the board talk about restructuring and modernising the Club, Strachan Senior fits into the dinosaur mould, his methods are dated. He is a fiery character and I cannot see him sitting back and not "advising" Ange, he would be trying to influence how we play with the players he would bring in. If this happens then we really are *, with no sign of Ange bringing in his own men, our structure would be Mackay, Strachan Senior, Ange, Kennedy and Strachan Laptop. If Ange agrees to this or maybe doesn't even have a say then everything said about him contradicts, he will be nothing more than a yes man.

Artorias likes this.
  7. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Get Strachan in, the same grumpy old * who has the kind of disdain for the fans as Lennon has shown himself to. Create an awkward situation with his laptop wielding son on the gravy train too.

Jamesy Bhoy 7 and cat123 like this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Along with all the worries we have all brought to the table, rightly so, my other concern is that this is quite simply s short term appointment.

Director of football should be ideally here for a prolonged spell if he can, seeing over multiple managers.

Strachan would literally be here for a year or two at best and out on his * right behind Ange after he tied the guys hands behind his back for this coming season.

Joke of an appointment that simply screams job for the boys.

If the club wanted to at least give the illusion that we had changed outlook and modernising the club, then surely one of them in that board room would remind them this is the most backwards appointment they could do in turning the opinion of the fans.

Only way this could have been a worse (potential) appointment is if they announce Lennon.
    Even Martin O'Neill would be s stupid * appointment in many respects.

I'd * rather be a city group reject dumping ground than persist going forward with appointments like Strachan.
    They no got a janitor they want to get out of the Etihad stadium for getting caught stealing player shirts or something?
    Would be a * more progressive appointment than Gordon Strachan.

You just * know Gavin Strachan is replacing Ange in January

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Out of all the issues that would make this appointment the worst decision of all time....the main one for me is the contempt with which Strachan holds the fans. Historically and more recently he has been mouthing off about us and clearly displaying his hatred of the fact that fans (the little people) voice their opinions on football (while not being pro footballers).

It's like we have no right to question anything that happens at the club, he wants us to sit the * down and shut the * up. Whatever he and the board and the owner decide is best, is best, and that's the end of the matter.

It all leads to Desmond. The overall strategy of this club is just all over the place, we should have been working towards top European standards for the last decade, instead we bring in dinosaurs who think they know modern football and will not hear a single word of criticism much less adapt according to it.

Dermot Desmond is going to bury us unless he is forcibly removed.

cat123 and King of Kings like this.
  11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    LOL. Folk so keen to believe this simply so they can rehash the same wisdom in a different thread just lol.

12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You don't think this is exactly the type of pish our board would hit us with?

You've not been paying attention.

Peej, Artorias, The Phoenix and 3 others like this.
  13. Sgt Neppers*

So this is the modernisation they speak of.....:97:

14. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I'd rather have no director of football than WGS, and I like WGS ...

Peej, Artorias and The Phoenix like this.
  15. JamesM09

Agreed.

Good to see we’re still firmly in the ‘jobs for the boys’ cronyism mentality.

What could possibly go wrong?

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Obviously I’ll wait and see if this is anything other than lazy paper talk but if it is true then it’s an absolute joke.

Even if Strachan was qualified, his footballing philosophy couldn’t be further removed from Postecoglou if you tried.

This last year is like a bad dream.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I'm not against Strachan having a role in the club of some sort. In absolutely no way whatsoever should that be a job within recruitment. Imagine having the Chief Scout at one of the biggest clubs in the world telling the media he would be interested in a sporting director role at the club to pretty much not even look his way, with the contacts he has built from Germany/Russia/Italy. What an embarassment.

18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If this is true, and I still hope it's only * journalism angling for a headline, it tells us exactly where our recruitment would be targeted this summer: SPFL and English league 1, maybe championship if we are really really lucky.

Hopefully it is just paper talk bollocks though.

19. RockhardBoss

I don't believe it - I think it's just clickbait. I'm filing it with the Sviatchenko and Wyke pish.

20. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This 'paper talk' thing...for years this has been the automatic assumption whenever something is printed in the rags; bullshit. Never believed a single thing from the papers for I don't know how long.

But as is common knowledge this season, the club have been leaking * to the sun (of all people!), so something like this appearing in that rag has to be taken as an official leak. Those of you not too fussed about this story at the minute...start being afraid.