1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree, it's just a ticking time bomb until he lets us or himself down again.

AdamRS, trackebhoy and The Prof like this.
  2. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    People are talking like there isn't a 90% this will happen. It's time to move on from these players & get the type of player that suits Ange's style.

The big Viduka likes this.
  3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The guy is currently working hard on his fitness to be ready for first day of pre season whilst others are on their holidays I think we should wait see what happens on pre season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. celticdawg

Get rid if there is quality coming in to replace him
    ( any of you believe thats going to happen ) ?
    Is he the best striker at the club once eddy leaves ? Imo he is and its not even close sadly so why the desperation to get rid when we have nobody worth a * to get us goals !!
    Fine by me if they actually spend the cash they get for eddy and the wages they would save on griff but that honestly aint happening so we end up even weaker ..honestly dont think a lot us realise how much of a mess the club is in !!

seanm likes this.
  5. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I would give him a new contract. I would ask him to back himself though. I would give him a much reduced basic pay with lots of bonuses build into the contract.

If he hits over 30 goals then he earns more than his previous contract. If he plays 3/4 of our games he gets a bonus etc.

That way he's got something to prove and the club is protected from him not keeping himself fit

seanm, scuzzy and NomDePlum like this.
  6. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It was unforgivable that he turned up in what was a very important season for us unfit. However I love Griffiths as a player, one * of a left foot on him, he's a 30+ goal a season man when he's on it. Id be willing to give him another shot. Whether Ange does or not is another matter he has a previous for getting rid of players regardless of their seniority, reputation or experience.

7. john2061

He was on open goal podcast yesterday and he said don't believe all the rubbish he wasn't fit and down to the manager not selecting him .

seanm likes this.
  8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He's only hit 30 goals in a season for us once, and 20 or over twice. That was over 5 years ago, he isn't a 30 plus scorer on his day.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The phrase 'on his day' is used to describe someone who is at their best. 'On his day' Griffiths scored over FORTY in a season for us yet you say 'on his day' he isnt a 30 plus goal a season striker, that statement is simply factually incorrect.

Trust me 'on his day' Griffiths is a goal machine and at 30 years old its a bit premature to roll out all the old cliches suggesting his legs have gone. If Griffiths can get his head together he will score goals for Celtic and plenty of them.

seanm likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

“On his day”.

People still hitting out with it. It’s not about “on his day”. It’s about him growing the * up and realising his career’s wasting away because he refuses to live like a professional footballer should.

Anyone willing to give him another chance is a * idiot. He continually let’s the club and support down. He hasn’t had a properly prolific season since Deila left. What are people expecting from him?

Westlondonscot and AdamRS like this.
  11. seanm

HH

moravcik1888 likes this.
  12. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    When you see a post from 'Officer Doofy' it really is a case of what embarrassing drivel is this half-wit spouting now. An absolute mess of a human being, clueless on every level :56::56:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was great seeing the boy putting the work in over the last few weeks, had a feeling the penny had dropped and he's starting to turn the corner. Whether it's at Celtic or elsewhere next season I think we'll see him back tobhis best, and I'd guess he's accepted the fact that it might not be at Celtic.

moravcik1888 likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's an interesting one with Griff as the option to take the year is very enticing considering the lack of players and the new manager coming in.

However we have seen many times before with Griff that he isn't reliable for us - not always through his own fault and obviously deals with his own personal issues, no slight on that at all.
    But the fundamental fact is, he can't be fully relied on for us going forward. Not sure what Ange is offering to him (as a coach, in conversation, with respect, for anything) that is any different to the last 3 managers. Maybe he will get the kick up the * he needs, maybe he is working hard to get match fit and maybe Ange finds a place for him. If so, I really don't mind keeping him. But it is gonna take some level of commitment and drive from the lad to get to that stage, he's not overly managed that for prolonged spells up to this point.

As a striker, on form he is a great talent and threat. On form and in the mood he works hard, creates space and certainly has the eye for goal.
    I'd love to have him here longer, if Ange is likely to play 1 or 2, we need at least 3 or 4 strikers. We likely only have one for sure next season in Ajeti. So in some ways it makes sense to keep him a bit longer. But not if he doesn't keep fit and in the side - then he is just another wage going out the door.

I feel a little bad for this, but we don't owe him anything. We done great by him during his troubles, stood by him as we should as fans and a club, but this is now on him to make the committed effort.
    Up to you Griff, prove to Ange that you are a vital part to the squad going in to the new season.

15. Mr. Slippyfist

Nothing to feel bad for mate, we HAVE bent over backwards to support him - be it through his mis-behaviour, sub0standard performance, lack of effort with training and diet, as well as his issue with mental health.

That being said, I do believe (at times) he has been treated a little harsh in not being selected, but that is what it is.

I was advocating getting rid of him, BUT, if Ange is willing to give him a chance, and by the looks of it it already appears like he's working his * off, then it might not be the worst idea giving him one last final chance.

Especially since we're literally gonna be left with Ajeti and Bayo when Edouard finally * off...

Peej likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye think the risk is more on Griff here to be honest.

We aren't getting money for him at this stage, so it's just wages we need to cover. No one is buying him from us. Not even if we extend it just to try and flog him - ala Sinclair fiasco - may as well give Ange at least the chance to run the rule over him.

17. Foley1888

Griffiths is a very strange one, the pandemic came at the worst time for him as he was starting to look like a proper player again and a real threat.

Last season was a joke, the way he turned up and never got fit at any point throughout the season yet still looked more a threat when on the park than Ajeti or Klimala when he was here.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  18. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It won't be a popular opinion I'm sure, but I'd rather he left. Not good enough for me.

19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think it's best for all parties if he moves on tbh.

20. scootz

I don’t think it would be all that an unpopular opinion as most would accept that he’s been a waste of a wage recently.

That said, I feel he is good enough (as it relates to ‘talent’). Clearly his issues lie elsewhere and I think it’s fair to say that Celtic have been a responsible employer by supporting and standing by him for so long… but it’s time to move on.