1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scubaroo

I assume he has to stay in England for the period of time scotland would have required him to quarantine if he flew straight into there. (Unless the test to release program is a whole uk thing)
    Anyhow, it gives him time to meet prospective players/agents etc.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Judging by the release by Celtic today, he did spend it in a London hotel due to landing there.
    Today was first day of freedom for him, hence a good timing for McKay to get down and see the game as well.

No doubt McGregor will be one of the first ones he manages a face to face with after tonight.

We may find out he gets the armband by start of next week if that chat goes well.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The67Sound likes this.
  3. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The big Viduka likes this.
  4. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka

5. Mr Cleansheets

I've read it. This was my review on Goodreads:

Many fans (like me) will buy this book expecting it to be a biography and will be disappointed (like me) when they realise it is not. However, the book needs to be appreciated in its own proper context which is pretty much a monograph on Australian football - its failures, occasional triumphs and massive potential.

There are occasional references to episodes of Ange's life but they are always thematic - to illustrate his central argument on what is needed to unlock football's potential and take it to the forefront of Australia's sporting landscape.

There is a lot here about Ange's approach to coaching and some good insights into his experience with the players and how he inspired them to lift for the World Cup, and in particular the Asian Cup. The way he manages player expectation and keeps them non-complacent is especially interesting.

The main lasting impression for me is the depth of Ange's passion for the National Team and his visionary approach to guiding its path up the mountain to World Cup qualification and beyond. He is absolutely the right man to be coach of Australia.

Kinda ironic that last sentence given how he walked away from the NT job straight after qualifying for Russia. Interesting chap though.

6. Mr Cleansheets

This is the bit that most interested me from his Celtic TV podcast... talking about the players he said:

"Don't try to impress me. Show me how much you want to play for the club and the fans...to take Celtic back to where it belongs. If you do that then you'll already have impressed me."

This is what he always does. He sets up a group mentality that the players have to buy into, and once they do they're fighting for each other and are a much tougher proposition than eleven professional individuals might be otherwise. There will be other forces fighting against this - player and agent ambition for starters - but he has a strong will and can be powerfully convincing.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I * love the guy. Speaks so well. If he was my boss I’d run through walls for him.

9. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

He'll no be allowed near any of the players they're all in a covid bubble for the tournament

10. SuperZidane

Exactly - I appreciate the passion from the Aussie fans- it's great to see. I also think the vast majority of Celtic fans are getting behind Ange and want to give him a fair chance.

However, your comment "He is rated as being one of the top managers in the world" is just bollox - simple as that.

If that was true - he wouldn't have landed his first job at a big European club when he's about to turn 56.

AdamRS and Scubaroo like this.
  11. SuperZidane

I mostly agree - however, we are in such a state that the Huns may be well ahead mid season and difficult to catch. I'm expecting some poor results in August/September (hopefully not but I think it's realistic)and, like you, I'll give him a pass on that one. I'm more interested in seeing the team improving over his first 6-8 months. If we're seeing that and we can be genuinely optimistic in March that we'll be a match for anyone in 22/23 then we should stick with him.

However, if we're no better at Easter than we are in August - I don't think fans will stick with him. He's been involved in football for a long time - he knows what he has to deliver.

Lebo likes this.
  12. Mr Cleansheets

While I agree there is no evidence to substantiate Ange being rated one of the top managers in the world (yet), I don't think his absence from Europe till now is meaningful either.

I don't think he's been seriously looking for a job in Europe until he was tapped on the shoulder for this one.

13. SuperZidane

Fair point. While Ange's appointment was certainly out of left field - I think the vast majority of fans are now behind him and will give him a fair go.
    There has certainly been some criticism of him based on ignorance and/or snobbery of A+J league football which I don't care for.

I also appreciate the enthusiasm of Aussie supporters like yourself who (while acknowledging that it's a gamble) think that we'll be pleasantly surprised with how good he is - then everyone will be happy!

I was just pointing out that a clearly over the top comment like "He is rated as being one of the top managers in the world" is no more valid than critical comments from folk who know nothing about Ange or Aussie/Japanese soccer.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  16. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Reports coming out that Big Ange is on the war-path and has warned that Christies feet wont touch the ground when he arrives back at Celtic Park from International duty. He wants Christie OUT pronto.

The big Viduka and honda like this.
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Music to my ears if true.

If he punts him with some authority behind it I think a lot of fans will take note and be on board ha

honda likes this.
  18. Lennon2011

Any reason?

19. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Why the * did the management keep playing him if he's such a bad influence around the club ?
    I'd have had him booted two years ago...can only imagine this being true due to his selfish *'ish nature.

honda likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Christies da has sounded like a bitter *