1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

I want him to ask if Gerrard spilt his * pint...

Artorias and johnboy19 like this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

:56: I honestly hate that we rat more than any other manager in the history of that club and the old dead club.

Twisty, johnboy19 and MacEwan like this.
  3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I said this before. If we're unlucky in the CL & make the Europa the fans will still be behind him. If we get embarrassed & put out of Eruope the fans will be against him going into the league.

I'm not sure how good Ange is as don't know the A & J leagues atall. I'm willing to give him time to show us what he can do but am worried about some of the things said about him in here.

He seems to take time to get his team to play his style. No chance he is getting time here to do this if results aren't good.

He seems to go gung ho for goals. We have seen what affect this has had under Lennon when pushing too many players forward.

The defensive side to his game seems to take a back seat to attacking. We need a balance in this aspect as been caught out with this too many too times.

If plan A isn't working there is no plan B but make plan A better. Been here before & its *.

He also has to understand we play against 10 men behind the ball & get hit on the break alot. Going gung ho leaves us open to the break.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

4. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

is he in scotland/uk yet ?

5. Mr Cleansheets

Hi you!

Ma desert boots are mingin ya doss scouse radge.

Git tae * or ahm gaunnae gie ya the skelpin tae end all * skelpins!

6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Yes, I will go to sleep, and dream of Ajax Amsterdam, and European Cup trophies, and the amazing youth and Academy programs the club has and their domestic successes, and I will dream of Celtic having the same successes in future with similar programs.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  7. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    1. Lennon is a tube and whatever happened under him the last few years can be struck off. It has been obvious we had no game plan, no style and no clue.
    2. I hope to * Ange does go for goals, the same way Rodgers sent the team out to play positively and with some style. Surely that’s a plus and not a negative?
    3. Some of the best managers in the game, in fact probably all of them have no ‘plan B’. This seems to be a stick we use to beat managers with here. Klopp, Pepe, Simeone etc have a style of play that they perfect and stick to it. Rarely do these teams chop and change formations or style based on who they play. This plan B pish needs to stop.
    4. Let’s see how it goes first before you all make your minds up about this, that and t’other, eh?

8. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We also seen point one under Rodgers but it was in Europe.

I'm not saying going for goals is a negative but pushing everyone forward trying to breakdown 10 behind the ball & getting caught on the break is so frustrating. Needs to be a better balance between attack & defence. What I've seen on here & videos about him, this seems not to be the case.

Because these type of managers can do it doesn't mean Ange can. We will just need to wait & see.

I haven't made up my mind on Ange. I like the idea of the high press with attacking football, just hope this works with 10 behind the ball as he has no plan B.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Agree with the vast majority of that but could an argument not be made as to the nature of managers like pep and klopp et al and their lack of plan b?

More often than not, they don't need one. They have squads full of world class players and are usually punching down.

We on the other hand are usually we punching in our own weight class, or way above it.

I agree that there's too much emphasis on his Ange's reported weaknesses before a ball has been kicked, but I do think in Europe, a certain amount of pragmatism is always welcome.

trackebhoy likes this.
  10. murphy88

More fool the people that do then. If you cannot see through the board and the thinking behind this appointment then you are very naive to what is going on at the club. I think after the way they have treated us this past year or so, most people seem to be venting their anger in the correct direction. There will always be fans with the blinkers on, that’s football though.

Peej likes this.
  11. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Why do people think Rodgers did not do well in Europe?

2x CL qualifications out of 3. 2 good campaigns in what where ridiculous groups containing Barca, PSG, Man City, Bayern Munich, a class Mochengladbach team and Anderlecht. We done decent finishing 3rd in that group. The gap in the level of team you play in the CL now compared to even the 2012 season is astronomical. Teams like PSG and Bayern coming out of pot 2 is outrageous.

1x EL campaign qualification in a group containing Leipzig/ Salzburg/Rosenberg was also a bigger achievement than qualifying from a group containing Lazio/Cluj/Rennes for me.

People seem to hold on to the PSG/Barca pumpings under Rodgers except Barca also pumped us 6-1 when we had anti-football park the bus under Lennon 2013/14 too...oh and getting pumped silly by the worst AC Milan team in history that season too.

Dannybhoy81, Lebo, Peej and 2 others like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Mate, * up.

Not one person in this world compares Celtic to those clubs financially, apart from you for some absurd reason.

We know we need to unearth gems and develop players - we have been doing it for decades for * sake.
    What we need though is players of a certain stature to compliment the development of younger talen - and no we are not talking about Messi, Ramos, Ronaldo, Buffon, before you jump to that absurd conclusion as well.

We also need a manager who can demand the respect and has the CV and legacy that already can attract both seasoned pros AND young talent willing and eager to come play for our manager.
    Like it or not, that is not Ange at present in regards to European football. For now.

And herein lies some of the actual issues we have with appointing Ange and why really it is a massive risk to us.

We all love the way he talks about the game and we take on board what a large majority of what the Aussies have came here to tell us, but forgive us if we don't buy in to every mad rambling that every one says when they first come in here - we don't even take half the folks ramblings serious, from folk here a decade.
    It also doesn't help at all when you clearly have no grasp of what the Celtic fans are expecting, demanding, want for our club.

13. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    A top manager can have an instant impact - MON and BR for example. Let's hope Ange is as good as the Aussies say he is.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Very, very different circumstances mate. Not only for the incoming manager but for football itself - it’s changed massively.

We were financially much better equipped to compete under MON. We could go out and spend big money on proven quality and we spent it well.

BR inherited a brilliant squad that had punched well below its weight under Deila. Some fine tuning required here and there, but the squad he inherited formed the basis of treble treble winners.

Ange is getting a threadbare squad with numerous high profile players likely to leave and a club facing a massive amount of upheaval. We simply haven’t modernised, and as much as I hope Ange is the guy to bring us into the 21st century, I don’t believe he’s going to be able to do it in in a matter of weeks .

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    See this is the thing - what you’ve just said is entirely contradictory in the mind of the vast majority of the Celtic support.

If he knows exactly what he’s getting into, then he knows that the pressure will be on him at the first sign of weakness - be that CL elimination, or points lost domestically.

It’s not logical, it’s not sensible, but it’s absolutely the reality of the situation here and what a lot of fans have been saying will be one of his biggest challenges.

16. jambo_cfc

Hes in london , due in scotland start of the week

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  17. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Talking about the pressure he will be under, personally I don't really give a fuxk about how he does in Europe and totally understand he is starting with lead boots so for that reason he will get a pass from me.

As blinkered as I am I care about one thing only this coming season and that's the league. Get off to positive start domestically, put pressure on they orange * and win the league.

If he manages that, I'll wear nothing but a hat with wine corks, a pair of speedos, video myself singing waltzing matilda and post it on this forum.

18. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I agree with the europe part.
    Second season is for that.

First season really needs to be the league. If we get a cup or 2...fine. but the title needs to come back to paradise.
    Since I started watching Celtic not many managers done well in europe first season. Sometimes not much they could do as it was a total rebuild job. Second season though seemed to be better.

Tommy25 and Mickmac like this.
  19. DonnyCelt

Big Ange has finished his quarantine. He'll be at Wembley tonight with Mckay.

AdamRS likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

After travelling to the UK from Japan, Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou has completed the required initial period of quarantine, through the UK Government Test to Release scheme in England and has been straight down to work with incoming Chief Executive Dom McKay.

Ange and Dom met in London today to continue working on preparations for the new season.

Ange will also watch his Celtic stars within the Scotland squad take on England at Wembley this evening.

It is planned that Ange will be in Glasgow next week as the bulk of the first team playing squad returns for pre-season training.

After a period of training at Lennoxtown, Ange and the squad will then travel to our training camp in Wales, from July 5 - 14.