1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

No he isn't. I wouldn't even think most Australians would say that.

King of Kings and Peej like this.
  2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    You want a manager to spend millions on players ? Get Mourinho ! That's what he does. The way he talks he should have won the European Cup in each year he has been a club manager. Critisizing players publically is also very acceptable - do you agree with that ? Is that what you want ?

Ange does not need to spend club millions on players that other people rate. He succeeds within his own parameters. By the way it is not his money to spend.

Is Guardiola Australian ? Is Rodgers Australian ? Is MacStay Australian ? These are big names that rate him as an excellent, even superior coach. So shut up if you can't think before you open your mouth. Get behind him, support him. He is there for all genuine Celtic followers.

3. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    George, relax.

4. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I get where George is coming from though. A lot of the commentary has been around either Ange being ‘lucky’ to get the gig, or he’s not a rated manager and he’s a cheap option.
    Also, some of you talk as if the Celtic job is the most prestigious in world Football. It’s a good gig, but it comes with many challenges. The SPL isn’t exactly the greatest Comp on earth either. I’d dare say the J League is way more competitive and technical and rated above the SPL. It would be close.
    George quoted correctly that at Marinos they played in front of huge crowds too. A quick google search shows average j league crowds of 17200 and SPL 12300. A fair difference considering how skewed the SPL’s is because of the big 2.
    So a lot of what is said about Ange is quite condescending to what he has achieved. Very dismissive. For those in the know, he is very well respected and seen as a bit of a mad footballing genius.
    You guys are very fortunate to have him I think. You’re blessed that he’s a bit of a crazy type who loves a challenge, and that’s precisely how he’d be viewing this appointment.
    Strap yourselves in guys n gals, it’s gonna be a ride.

5. jambo_cfc

Tell ye what a thought us trying to appoint a manager was an embarrassment but tottenham have took it to a whole new level !! Am actually happy with our choice now to be fair!

6. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    What do you mean exactly here? Genuine question btw.

Regardless which manager Celtic appointed, the fact remains that the squad is in desperate need of reinforcements. And that´s even before major names have left, which is likely will happen (Ajer, Edouard).

As it stands, Pep or Klopp would struggle with what is at hand at the moment, never mind Postecoglu.

But we are to believe that Ange doesn´t need to spend millions? He´s got supernatural powers at his disposal does he?
    Aye right.

HopeAngeDoesn'tFuckUp likes this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

I understand your passion George but you'll only make yourself unpopular and ignored if you don't tone it down a little.

Yes, Ange has done brilliantly so far and is a great (tho leftfield) choice for a club in as much trouble as Celtic. But you need to have a sense of history and proportion. Celtic are one of the oldest and greatest clubs in world football with traditions and history that we Australians can't even begin to appreciate. Even those (like me) that call themselves Celtic fans (because I have a team I follow in most Euro leagues) don't have the merest glimmering of what it means to be a true Celtic fan who lives and breathes the green and white and has done from birth - going back numerous generations.

So when you come on here as a new forumite lecturing to the auld guard about how lucky they are to get Ange...well, it disnae make you Mr Popular. Celtic psychology is way more deep and complex than any Australian club psychology and you truly need to try and absorb some of that before you presume to try and change people's minds.

But like you, I'm expecting Ange to continue his triumphal journey - indeed to kick it up a massive notch when he makes a success of the Celtic job - but he'll need time and patience. And lots of goodwill from the fans because it won't be an easy task. The less you do to * off the fans - the easier you make Ange's job.

8. Sgt Neppers*

There's no more reason to debate Ange currently. He has the job, he needs support from the club. We'll get behind him and the results will speak for himself.

Things need to pick up pace now though. As it stands, we're woefully under prepared on all fronts heading in to the first game, which is 32 days away.

9. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Who said he is a "superior" coach out of curiosity?
    He may be all of these things, but as of yet he is a novice in dealing with what he will now be dealing with. If he thought he knew pressure before this, then he better strap in very tightly.

As for one of the "worlds best", it's just plain silly saying that! being the best cook in McDonalds doesn't make you one of the best chefs in the world.....I'll keep my judgement till I've tasted what the * serves up.

10. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Mate honestly stop rambling like an old man in a pub, he wasn’t even our clubs first choice but he’s our manager, we’re behind him.

You Aussies are the reason why half the people are acting negative with the bullshit claims you are making, guy is being setup to fail if you ask me by saying he’s world class.

And you try and diss Mourinho just to bolster your point, really? You couldn’t have picked a worse example as he’s literally one of the most successful managers in the 21st century so don’t even try to compare winning in Timbuktu compared to the champions league.

Peej and HenriksRightBoot like this.
  11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I honestly worry that he’s on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

We aren’t setup for success here at the moment. We aren’t even setup well enough to maintain the standard we’ve seen recently. He’s got everything to do, very limited time to do it in, and very little help in terms of actually doing it.

Tough CL draw and tough opening fixtures. Make no mistake, as much as everyone says they’re willing to give him time, if we perform poorly in the qualifiers or drop points early, the pressure will be on him.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  12. Mr Cleansheets

Course it is, but he's not an idiot.

He signed up for this intensely difficult assignment knowing exactly what the challenge was.

He'll have enough confidence in himself to believe he can turn the club around. If the fans believe in him too - enough to write off some inevitable dark days early - that will really help him grow the Ange belief across the entire club.

OziBeerMan and Artorias like this.
  13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Hope am no tempting fate here... ZomboMeme 18062021095415.jpg

The big Viduka and Avatar Daizen like this.
  14. Mr Cleansheets

Jokes already been made on another thread...

15. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The more I hear from him the calmer I feel. Especially as he seems quite calm and cool about it, at least on the surface.

16. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    No it was this thread and it was me. Simply visualising it.

Liam Scales and Mr Cleansheets like this.
  17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

There are * waiting for that already.

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. Lennon1888

Of course it will be which he will know coming into the Job unless our incompetent board has said otherwise?

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    You want to vent your frustrations, do so by directing it at Celtic management who have been at the coal face - not on the manager coming to the club with the best of intentions . If you were one of the squad moaning and groaning in the changing rooms, I would get rid of you. That type of undermining is like a virulent cancer that needs to be cut out before it destroys the whole body.