1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tam Rogic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Jan 17, 2013.

Discuss Tam Rogic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

He's never been a physically robust sort of player. Some reckon it's down to his futsal upbringing but I don't buy that.

Just not that toughly knit I guess, but surely still has that amazing skill. If someone can get the best out of his fitness he can still have an impact at any level.

The big Viduka and Liam Scales like this.
  2. Lewis Kerr

I'd say its a mixture of his poor fitness (lack of stamina; previous knee injuries) and a mentality issue.

Rogic strikes me as a sort of reserved lad who struggles with confidence and belief about his game. With his raw talent and flair he should have carved out a much better career for himself, I think it would be naive to solely blame that on fitness.

He clearly needs a manager who believes in him to thrive like Rodgers and even Deila towards the end. Lennon isn't that guy at all and as I've said he's been severely underplayed since Rodgers left.

Whether or not Ange can be that guy remains to be seen.

The big Viduka likes this.
  3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think there is some credibility to this theory. Unlike most footballers who have grown up with everyone blowing smoke up their * about how great they are at football since childhood, Rogic came from a futsal background, which is a much smaller confined game and by necessity the emphasis on close control etc, and didn't get into professional football until he was 21 years old.

By which time most players that age have had a decade or more of everyone telling them how brilliant they are and being the centre of attention, in the spotlight etc, which can't help but have a psychological effect, both positive and negative, as that overconfidence can lead to many stumbling along the way, can cause off-field issues or struggle after their playing careers come to an end etc. Don't think that will ever be an issue with Rogic.

So it would explain why he is so grounded but also perhaps why so modest about his ability, as well as needs the right encouragement and coaching from a supportive man-manager.

4. Mr Cleansheets

Rogic had just turned 19 when he signed for the Mariners. I remember his debut and knew instantly we had something very special on our hands. Anyone who saw his performance the day CCM beat Sydney 7 - 2 would have been using the adjective "godlike".

Agree with Taz though. He didn't spend his childhood on the cut-throat football escalator where all emotions are hyperbolised and personalities developed accordingly. Ange will be keenly aware of his abilities and will definitely be plotting how best to get him in shape and use him.

Either that or sell the *.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Give him another season at least. We can’t just sell everyone and we don’t have much to lose and a lot to gain when it comes to him.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    As much as I'll remember Tam for some magic moment's, he hardly has them anymore..

We should be clearing out guy's like him, Griff and Bitton who don't have the leg's, don't have the stamina, or can't stay fit/injury free for a sustained period..

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    For me we’re going to have so many people going we’ll need to keep some. He changed it for a period for us again last season then got dropped, I’d be happy going into next season with Turnbull AM and Tam as backup and not need to worry about needing another attacking midfielder along with a new defence, full backs and strikers.

And goalkeeper.

* sake man, I depress myself.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Thing is mate, you'd be wanting them kept because you don't trust our recruitment process? That's for another argument altogether but I still wouldn't be keeping these guy's for that reason..

They've no done us enough of a turn for a wee while now, all our pretty slow as * and visibly lag during game's..

For the style of play that Ange brings, can you imagine a spine of Bitton, Rogic and Griffiths. Would be criminal..

All 3 are on big wages and aren't doing enough for us. I'd clear them all out, it might be a lot at first but I think we'll be better in the long run for it. Get some leg's and energy in to replace them..

The Prof and trackebhoy like this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That reason and I’d rather us not further thin out the budget when we could push it a year down the line. Another attacking midfielder probably takes another £500k/£1m off the other positions we need to go for.

And I really don’t trust the recruitment process

The Phoenix likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    If these were starter's all on between 15-20 grand a week I'd agree but Turnbull (although a different attacking mid) offers us far more than Rogic ever could now.
    Bitton is basically a slow converted centre mid that is a backup centre half.
    Griffiths did come good with Edouard for a spell a year ago but chose to let us down yet again. Before that was always backup, if we'd of signed Toney he wouldn't even of made match day squad's when fit..

I know our recruitment has been beyond woeful recently but I'd rather we tried to rebuild properly than keep these guy's cutting about half just for the sake of it..

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bitton I’d get rid of if we can, Griffiths and Rogic I’d give another year. Think both could still have a lot to offer, under the right manager.

I think that is rebuilding properly, use what you have and phase out. Save money to replace properly the next window.

Otherwise it’ll just be cheap signings with a budget spread far too thin.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fair enough bud, I disagree but it's up to Ange now..

Lot of big calls to make. Let's hope our recruitment is a lot more efficient than last year's..

The Phoenix and Liam Scales like this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It should be at least a year on. I don’t think Hammond done a lot but Lefevre from everything I’ve heard is genuinely good, poached him from Arsenal.

Linked with Sviatchenko though? Not to enthusing. Hoping it’s pish and just journos reaching.

The Phoenix and McChiellini.. like this.
  14. Mr Cleansheets

15. phreeky

There's an awful lot of confidence that better than the likes of Rogic, Griff and Bitton can actually be found, convinced to move to a side with struggles for an acceptable fee all within a reasonable time frame.

I don't think Ange can afford to just ditch any of the remaining squad initially. If nothing else, at least these players know each other and the club. I think the first players gone will be those that go against the culture and attitude that Ange wants to instill - not simply based on performance.

I don't think Rogic will play a big part on the pitch, but he'll be useful during a rebuild.

16. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I'd love to see Rogic rediscover his former glory. He was much better than Christie at his best and was a big game player. I don't know what's gone on with his fitness but something has held him back. Maybe Postecoglou can get the best out him and he could start to perform again.

17. Mr Cleansheets

He's only 28 FFS! Ought to have some good years left.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Makes me chuckle that some people think time stopped in 2017.

Rogic at 24 was a vastly superior player to Rogic at 28. But as a fellow Celtic fan you, of course, are aware of this without even having to look at his stats from 15/16 and 16/17 compared with the last 2 seasons.

19. MAP

I agree with this approach.

I actually thought Rogic came back start of last season leaner than I had ever seen him, and I thought he played well. As the season progressed, less time on the park, and well, everything then fell apart.

I don't consider AP sentimental; if it is up to him and Rogic has no future at the club, he won't feature.

20. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Which would have co-incided with the time that AP was in charge of the Australian NT, during qualifying for the 2018 WC - a point that I made. Am well aware that times have changes since when Rogic had earned the contract extension prior to the WC in Russia in the summer of 2018.

However, as I've raised the point and asked the question previously in this thread - and notably noone has really addressed this - why the double standard that others have been excused for their poor form over the past 2 seasons with the blame being layed at the feet of Lennon/Kennedy poor coaching, useage & general * poor management co-inciding with their dips in form etc, but somehow that is not the case with Rogic? Am all too well aware of his history of fitness issues etc, nor does it forget that he has been pretty average this past 18 months or so (at which point, as a Celtic fan you would also recall, he was in form and there was controversy as he was pulled from the new years game v Sevco in the 2019/20 season, because of impending international duty, during which he was injured, as you would also recall).

But then again, this is true of so many in the squad, so why is so many others since that point are being allowed to slide with the excuse that it was deue to Lenny/Kennedy, so why the double standard when it comes to Rogic?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Tim-Time 1888 and The big Viduka like this.