1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The thing that’s getting me about Ange is the fact he’s been getting pelters since he was mentioned for the job, where were these fans when they allowed Lennon and Co to run the club so amateurish?

It’s all well and good picking on the new guy, where the attention should be against the people that made this mess, he’s in to fix it, Lennons the one that broke it to start with.

2. jambo_cfc

He speaks very well , very positive and seems confident within himself for the job , dont know why but get a feeling we might all be on the ange train like the aussie and the japanese fans !

Peej likes this.
  3. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm saying Ange should be allowed to make the decisions. If he decides he wants Kennedy for his knowledge of the SPL while also bringing in his own men then that should be ok. If he doesn't want him he should go - the new manager should make this decision not the fans or the board - he can get rid of Kennedy if he doesn't want him further down the line. Keeping Kennedy -possibly short-term - doesn't necessarily make him a yes man.
    I don't see how bringing in Sviatchenko or Shaw makes him a yes man either.
    People looking for faults which probably aren't there.
    And yes, vociferous disgruntled fans can affect the performance of the manager and the players making them more likely to fail. Fair enough if it's deserved after giving them plenty of chances like last year but there are people on Ange's case before a balls been kicked.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    The big Viduka and RockhardBoss like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Wakaso is a good player man, was unlucky here and went on and had a decent La Liga career.

We can be a hinderance to a team no doubt, Rodgers handled that amazingly well. Came out and told the fans the type of football he was trying to achieve and we bit into it with fervour when it became clear it was working because we were grumbling at first it was boring.

5. JamesM09

Vociferous disgruntled fans may make a manager fail, but it's orders of magnitude more damaging to a manager to have staff and players put upon him.

We can sit here and pretend it isn't the board's prerogative to pick the players and staff but the evidence over the last 10 years is that that is exactly what they want to do. Even when Rodgers was here, at the height of his powers, the board were signing players like Shved rather than signing players Rodgers wanted.

It's * toxic at this club. Completely unqualified men playing football manager at the expense of you and me.

Let's assume for the sake of speculation Ange decides to keep Lennedy and signs Sviatchenko. One of two things are highly likely to be true in that case.

1. Ange rates them both as Celtic quality.
    2. The board are signing staff and players they know and putting them upon a manager that has just been given the biggest opportunity of his career.

Now we know that they are simply not Celtic quality, so if Ange decides they are, frankly he's wrong. If it does happen, then I for one don't believe this would be the case.

Far more likely is number 2, i.e. the board have made those decisions and Ange, having relocated half way across the world for his biggest ever job, needs to go along with it.

I do not see how it is useful to pretend Kennedy isn't Kennedy (the guy who played Brown over Soro last season for dead rubber games, knowing he was leaving) or to pretend that Sviatchenko is all of a sudden the best CB available to us, just to be seen as supporting Ange.

Why don't we support Ange by calling out the board's bullshit? Why are we pretending that isn't the primary characteristic of our board?

Pretending Ange won't spend every day of his Celtic career fighting a toxic, controlling board is laughable. Ange needs to be strong from day 1. Kennedy is the first test.

Peej likes this.
  6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I remember Rodgers commenting a few times about the grumbles in the stand. Basically told the fans to be more patient

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, he managed us as well as the team beautifully.

8. Sgt Neppers*

Seriously where the * is he? Still looks like he's in Japan. He should have been over on the first flight after his announcement and half way through his quarantine by now.

ede, MagicBallBhoy and limezer like this.
  9. limezer

yes I’d love to know if he’s even in the UK, it’s a bit farcical.

10. JamesM09

Of course a support can be a hinderance, but a good manager should be able to handle it. It's one of those bare minimum things that we seem to think if a big ask, because we hire managers like Deila and Lennon.

The point I'm getting at is a far bigger concern for Ange will be the boardroom interfering with his management of the team.

We need to support Ange and reject the bullshit the board tries to put onto him.

Obviously we will never know the exact details of what's going on, but the Kennedy-Strachan one seems an obvious one to me. Almost certainly the board want to keep them and almost certainly Ange will know they have to go.

How is it beneficial for anyone for the support to start making excuses like Ange might rate them or something like that? If they stay, 99% chance it's because the board pushed for them to stay.

Likewise with Sviatchenko. There's better defenders out there. Period. It's the type of signing the board would love to make so they don't need to scout and sign someone that's more expensive or more difficult to get done. How is it beneficial for anyone in the support to pretend that maybe Ange rates him and wants him in?

Board interference and incompetence is our number 1 problem and Ange's number 1 problem. I hope he comes in an immediately starts throwing his weight around.

Peej, SwissCelt and Liam Scales like this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    @JamesM09 totally agree mate, as long as we vent in the right way.

JamesM09 likes this.
  12. green-yin

Hes in isolation the now according to griff

“So it was a positive chat, we just need to wait until he’s out of isolation, we’ll have a chat face-to-face and we’ll see where we’re at."

Im taking that to mean hes doing his quarantine at the moment.

13. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    i really don’t understand why being in quarantine or isolation stops him doing his job as a * manager prior to pre-season. Surely he would still be able to meet players and arrange scouting and transfers even during quarantine?

14. green-yin

How can he meet players while in isolation:56: and as for the other stuff whos to say hes not doing that. Pretty sure hes not sitting in a hotel binge watching box sets on netflix.

The big Viduka and Peej like this.
  15. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Just want to see players get a proper chance, Soro, Connell, Karamoko, Shved all need games in pre season

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  16. Sgt Neppers*

Absolutely it is. We have to register players for the qualifiers in about a fortnight's time and he's in a different time zone. Its mental. We still have no idea what his backroom staff are gonna be, if its laptop and JK. Scouting and recruitment seems to be running off 2018s spreadsheet as well.

I'm totally behind the new guy, but it's the same old off the park....slower if that's even possible. Trying to be patient but when the new guy isn't even in the country I'm worried.

What have we been doing all these months. Thought there would have been a bit of good feeling bounce and a couple things would be announced, but its just the same old. Nothing.

17. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Yeah it's not fair to continue. I was against his appointement but will give him time to see his transfers and hopefully how he gets rid of Kennedy and laptop guy. People better direct their hate towards the board and Desmond. Those are the * responsibles.

Noskeil likes this.
  18. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    What's all the whinning about? We knew he had to isolate, he's isolating.. players are not back at the club for preseason..

* moaning for the sake of moaning now ha

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Welcome to Scotland where everything is *, the weathers *, footballs *, pubs are * but in reality that means awrite :56:

20. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Well said!