1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Heb Celt

May have been mentioned but maybe the reason he hasn’t brought in his own coaching staff yet is because they/they’re at Euros?Same could be said for player transfers.

2. JamesM09

If we fail it’s the fans fault? Sounds like Neil Lennon patter to me.

I agree it’s too early to judge Ange but most of the criticism here is around the board.

Criticising things like keeping Kennedy and signing Sviatchenko (speculation, of course) is supporting Ange way more than someone bending over backwards to defend him.

Ange needs us to help him tell the board to * off. If he’s not a Yes-man then he needs us to back him against all the stupid * the board will try to foist onto him.

Sitting there’s saying, “Well I for one would welcome Sviatchenko back..” is just about the worst thing Ange would want to hear from the support.

He’ll be trying to get the best players possible for the squad, not someone the accountants pick because he’s easy to work with and cheap.

Or worse yet, “Kennedy isn’t too bad”.

* me. Imagine being Ange trying to get rid of these wasters and the support are trying to be little goodie two shoes accepting mediocrity on Ange’s behalf. What hope does the guy have if even the support are desperate to drop their standards for the sake of harmony with the PLC.

I feel sorry for him, it’ll be Deila all over again with the supporters accepting loans of Wakaso and claiming it’ “supporting” Deila.

Peej likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Personally thought wakaso was good and never understood why he barely played. Otherwise yes.

4. JamesM09

Yeah it was really just a name that popped into my head, but really the fact he was loaned in and people were bending over backwards to defend it - this is not what the manager wants. Scepovic may have been a better example.

Managers, especially in the Ange/Deila position want the support to help them fight the bullshit, not go along with it like little virtue-signalling Boy Scouts.

Ange will be reading support of Kennedy and calling such supporters * useless idiots.

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Wakaso was a loan with option to buy though. Nobody minds that. I get the reasoning for others though.

6. RockhardBoss

He'll not be listening to the supporters' subjective opinions of Kennedy. He will meet the man himself and judge him objectively on his merits.

7. JamesM09

Yep.

Unrelated to what I said though.

8. Mr Cleansheets

That's bollocks.

Ange will spend his entire time in quarantine reading this forum, then he'll tell Kennedy and Strachan to git tae *.

Then he'll sign Haaland, Mbappe and Ronaldo on frees.

Mickmac likes this.
  9. JamesM09

No ones suggested that.

Do we just read a single sentence of a post, completely misunderstand it then come out with witty sarcasm aye?

10. Mr Cleansheets

Yes.

Yes we do.

11. Mr Cleansheets

Just kidding James...

12. JamesM09

You don’t? Why not?

:50:

13. Mr Cleansheets

Because I'm a *. I would've that was perfectly clear.

JamesM09 likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We don't need to look far to see the issues that we will face with Ange - and I will say again, this is not against Ange but against this board!
    There are already signs that nothing has changed at this club, no matter how much little sound bites they want to drop in. So in that sense, Ange is already on a hiding to nothing before he steps in the door.
    Trust me, IF Ange fails it will not be because of me being against this appointment, nor will his success be down to the blind faith folk are just going to give the guy.

Honestly, I want the guy to succeed. He sounds like a good lad with a sensible head and a sound understanding of how the game should be played. Comes across as someone who will be a little old school in taking no * from the players or buying in to cliques, yet also modern enough to know that fitness, development, coaching etc are all going to be key to future success of players and the club.
    A great starting block from his side of things.

From the boards side? He's a yes man in their eyes and he is proving so far to be just that if the rumours of Wykes, Erik etc are true and ongoing pursuits (I've already held my hands up to the Shaw deal, although that still screams of the board doing the board thing of still signing players with no recuritment or manager approval) and the fact that he is not (at present and with zero evidence that he is) bringing his own staff in, in fact remaining with the two diddies from last season is a pretty massive yes man thing to do. Anyone taking a look at the results of last season and performances would surely instantly tell the board they don't want Kennedy taking this squad any further. I get the need that he will want/require someone with a better knowledge of the league here (another reason we shouldn't have went for a guy with zero knowledge of the league(note, not asking for an SPFL manager)), but that can't be Kennedy and there are many more out there that could have helped him in the early part of the job.

So yeah, I will assume with the limited things we know at present (our board history, the lack of change in scouting/player suggestions, the remaining staff, lack of new staff) that he is a yes man. Harsh? I fully admit it is, but what else do we have to go on? Personally I am done giving this board chance after chance and doing the blind faith routine. We all know the history of this board and history is repeating itself here, through no fault of Ange, he is a cheap option with the high potential (and hope from the board) that he will be a yes man.

MagicBallBhoy and JamesM09 like this.
  15. MAP

Your assertions are either not backed up by any evidence, or otherwise supported by rumour. In the case of the former, you leap to conclusions before any meaningful evidence has come to light. You state this yourself, "what else do we have to go on?"

Take for instance "the lack of change in scouting/player suggestions" as your evidence that AP is a 'yes man', how could you possibly know what might have passed between him and anyone at the club over such an issue? What if changes are afoot; the limited timeframe since his appointment hasn't given much time for such changes to have occurred. I think some of us would be more accommodating of your views if they were more considered/well reasoned/supported by fact. It's as if he is a 'yes man' until proven otherwise.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So complete blind faith...carry on pretending nothing is wrong.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou now knows his first competitive game as Celtic manager following yesterday's UEFA Champions League draw, with the Hoops set to face Danish side, FC Midtjylland, in the second qualifying round of the tournament.

The first leg is scheduled for Celtic Park on Tuesday, July 20 (KO 19:45), with the away leg taking place in Denmark on Wednesday, July 28 (KO 18:45 CPT), and the Celtic manager is looking forward to the ties.

Speaking exclusively to the Celtic View podcast, the Hoops boss said: “It’s obviously a very significant fixture for us and it comes pretty early. It’s exciting for me, for the players and the whole club.

“It gives us a target now that the pre-season is about to start and I’m looking forward to it. Those great nights in Europe are what Celtic are all about so hopefully we can create more magic this year.”

FC Midtjylland have a familiar figure in their ranks for Celtic fans, with defender Erik Sviatchenko in their ranks, while Ange Postecoglou is well aware of the Danish side, given that Australian internationalist, Awer Mabil, plays for them.

“I know Awer well. He’s a fantastic young man and a great talent,” said the Celtic manager. “He’s been there for quite a while and because of that I know the club quite well. I’ve followed his progress and the club’s progress, and it’ll be great to see him again because, as I said, he’s a great young talent.

“And the Celtic supporters will welcome big Erik as well, so it’ll be a great fixture.”

Before that vital European tie, the Celtic manager is looking forward to checking in at Lennoxtown soon and kicking off the squad’s pre-season preparations in earnest. But the groundwork has already started, with the new boss in daily communication with coaching staff to start implementing his plans and ideas.

“I’ve been hard at work already and it’s been great to connect with everyone at the club and get to know everyone,” he said. “I’m keen to hit the ground running and try to get as much work done before I get there, but my own view is that we can’t be more prepared than what we are at the moment in terms of the conditions we’ve had to face.

“I’m fully confident that once I hit the ground, we’ll get started and I’m really excited about the fact that we’ve got something to look forward to and a bit of a target there over the next four or five weeks.

“The work’s already started, to be fair. A lot of the lads, the staff at the club, are already putting plans in place. I’m talking to them daily so they kind of know how I want us to work.

“There’s a lot of work been done already and certainly, in the first few days, the staff there are really keen to set the new tone and the agenda that I’ve got. So I think the players will feel a difference straight away, but, obviously, for me, the real impact will come when I get there and I can talk to people.

“The target is that first Champions League game, but we’ve got a lot of work to do before that. We’ve got some fantastic friendly fixtures and warm-up games to prepare for that, and training as well, which will be the key part for us.”

honda and OziBeerMan like this.
  18. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Is he in the country yet ?

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  19. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

has he flew in yet ?

20. Scubaroo

How has no one put the question to him or the club yet?
    Or have we all just missed something?