1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

EURO 2020

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Valhalla, May 24, 2021.

Discuss EURO 2020 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    That commentary was brutal, fat swally and tyldesly, had tae turn the sound doon lol.

scuzzy, johnboy19 and paulie walnuts like this.
  2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    What's Benzema doing in the France team? I thought he was blacklisted from them for grassing Ribery in for being a paedo or something

3. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony

Are they still on about 66 and i dont mean the route

4. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Fat Sally couldn’t get the huns out of the championship but is passing comment on players like Mbappe and Pogba :56:

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Looking forward to watching the Italians again.

6. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Towards the end of the game that * Tydlsley said then that there was nothing to fear from both France and Germany. I reckon the managers of both those teams were thinking similar thoughts when watching engerlund and Croatia. Both him and McCoist give me the boak

scuzzy, johnboy19 and The Prof like this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Every time the Germans get a bad result in a major tournament, the english media seem tae think it gives their team a better chance of winning the tournament. :56:

8. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    It's no like them to be over confident (like they have been in every major tournament) Oh and I'm sure I heard just a few of the commentators and some media people etc. mention that they did actually win in 66 and that something or another is coming home

9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Except an arm can't play you on or off side, it has to be a part of the body you could score a legitimate goal with.

As for the game tonight, I was expecting more from both teams, Germany were toothless and France seemed to be doing just enough and no more. Mbappe's pace is just frightning though. Thankfully we are likely going to be out soon and won't have to witness O'Donnell trying to deal with him at any point...

10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    VAR is a part of the modern game and if it cuts out any chance of cheating or bribes to referees then it can only be good. It also stops the officials being influenced by a home crowd. The goals chalked off tonight was the correct decision and of course people will say “ah but if Celtic got those decisions against us.” It doesn’t matter if the camera shows it to be an incorrect decision. Anyway Celtic are usually on the end of poor decisions in the domestic scene or against bigger names in Europe and I believe VAR is more beneficial to us.

Artorias likes this.
  11. jj81

VAR for me is fine if an offside is clear , a foot , arm , hand etc is ripping the * IMO give the striker the benefit and change that so its a clear space between the players , its getting used far too much and its stop start which spoils the game.

Agree that both sides should have an amount of uses , say 3 per game. Only thing with that though is imagine someone is miles offside and a goal is scored , linesman misses it and you have used your quota .... * it just bin it all.

12. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I've said before I'd like to see something like the tennis system implemented for VAR, but I'd actually take it a step further. Each team is allowed up to 4 breaks in play during a game which could be for VAR checks or subs, so as it is now that would be 3 breaks for subs and 1 check, but they could make it more interesting by being able to choose how they use them, so 4 checks and you get no subs, or 4 subs and no checks (while 5 subs are allowed at least).

Probably not that exactly, but something along those lines where there is a risk factor, or tactical element, to counter frivolous uses of it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. StevieBhoooy!

They were fairly quiet before this tournament (for a change).... but the arrogance has well and truly arrived. Hopefully like in most competitions the England team will be exposed for the over-hyped, over-paid and over-rated players that they are.

Hopefully they will lose on penalties to Germany.

It was coming home 30 years ago and another 25 years on it’s still ‘coming home’.... you’d think they’d pipe down a bit when the likes of Spain, Portugal, Germany and France have won (some multiple) world cups and euros in that time... even Greece has won the euros :34:

Yet we get the same * every tournament...

The Geordie wife beaters goal against us ...
    66 and ‘think it’s all over ‘...
    45 seconds into Belgium v Russia and the talk is about charlton and styles...

.. and repeat

In 66 It took a home hosted competition - (and They played every game at Wembley) - with refereeing in their favour, offside goals, wins against 10 men sides and a Brazil and Portugal hindered by the hatchet tactics (throughout competition) against pele and Eusebio - to actually win it.

Every game a home game (just about) this time as well... I thought there was supposed to be an even spread across several nations ?!?

The annoying thing is ... it will only get worse the longer they remain in the competition.

it’s a sweat as long as they are still in.. but we get that joyous high when they finally get pumped out.

Wee Baldy, scuzzy and The Prof like this.
  14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Scotland are gonna pump England, then when they win it, means Scotland are champions :56:

Although genuinly think France are going to give a big team a serious doing and win.

15. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    You're right mate/ Absolutely awful commentary

The Prof likes this.
  16. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

That Finland top is nice

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Gurru 991

it really is

18. Barry Robson

Great finish

19. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Some finish that

20. Pearse67*

* me who are them commentators for todays game, absolute *!

* game into the bargain.

seanm likes this.