1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Don't worry, the minute Ange gets here:

[​IMG]

seanm and AdamRS like this.
  2. SuperZidane

Spot on. Kennedy has said on numerous occasions that he has "managerial ambitions" - yet he turned down the Hibs job and seemed happy to play second fiddle to Lennon.

He gives the impression that he thinks, if he stays around long enough, he'll get the managers job by default. He didn't help his case by his performance in the last 10 games.

His lack of ambition in turning down the Hibs job is a big warning sign to me. Compare that to Broony - seizing the opportunity to get coaching experience and prove himself elsewhere and not hanging around in the hope of getting something at Celtic.

If Kennedy hasn't got enough self-belief to try and prove himself elsewhere - that speaks volumes. I think we need a whole new approach - Lawwell/Lennon/Hammond are going/gone - Kennedy/Strachan should go also.

The Prof, seanm and Sonic Reducer like this.
  3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    You’ve missed my point: I’m trying to move it away from ‘he’s a good coach’ vs ‘he’s a bad coach’, and into more of a moderate, more realistic mindset where we admit that none of us has a clue whether he’s ‘a good coach’ or not, but from what we have seen (i.e. his lack of capability and/or lack of will to change things after Lennon), we *can* say that it does seem like he’s not the most effective and/or influential person.
    That isn’t to say that he can’t do good things and/or do disastrous things; it’s more that it just seems like he doesn’t impose himself either way.

I just think that, instead of seeing things in a middle-ground way like that, a lot of our fans are blinded in one way or the other (either by their own blaming of Kennedy, or by wanting to think highly of him for the sake of it because they feel bad about his injury).
    The truth of the matter is most likely somewhere in the middle.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Someone else said it couple of pages back think it was Zander, he has been tarred now with a brush and it will stick with him for sometime and for that its best if he leaves, think he needs to go his own way and develop as a manager because his * 10 games with us where an absolute shambles, * absolutely dog * team selections, no enthusiasm off touchline at all which doesn't mean he needs to be up and down shouting but don't look like a sulking little * man at least pretend to be happy. I think the way we set up in those 10 games was 10X better than what we did under Lennon we actually looked slightly coached but even then we still looked miles off it which is a massive stain on Lennon who is by all accounts an extremely poor tactician and coach and then this guy just doesn't seem to have the management gene yet.

However his failure as a manager does not make this chap a bad coach, absolutely no one on this forum knows if he is or isn't but also people who chat * saying "oh he did set plays under Deila and we were * ect" or he did this or he did that to stick boot in youse don't have a * clue what he's doing so please stop talking *, * could be an outstanding coach and a * manager (which he was for the 10 games he had with us), Pat Rice at Arsenal was a great coach but never took on a managers role, Brian Kidd at various clubs, Paul Clement - great coach * woeful manager, look at carlos queiroz the fella was lauded by Fergie as an outstanding coach and tactician but was a bang average manager, rene meulensteen was the exact same. Coaching and managing are two different things and its all well and good being a good coach but then being your own man and implementing that as a manager is difficult and this * really struggled because * me was * under him. Saying that he could be a * * coach, but thus far not many people have came out and said a bad word about his coaching ability.

He is very dour faced mind and personally id like to see him move on for his sake and ours.

Cammaris, seanm, Spring Time and 2 others like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’m good with that mate, I’m just thinking naebdy actually knows.

martin_d likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’ve spent about 6 months trying to say this exact post in a poorer fashion

seanm likes this.
  7. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

If Carlsberg described JK ^^^^^^

seanm likes this.
  8. murphy88

In Lennon’s first season in charge?

9. murphy88

Nobody knows what Lennon was telling the players or doing on the training ground with them either. Does that mean we cannot criticise him as a manager?

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    All we have is what we see and hear.

And no offence to the guy, or more so those wanting to defend and give him the benefit, but what we SAW speaks louder than some nice words from Duff and Rodgers.
    He was a coach during the last 2 seasons and did seemingly very little. He then got his hands on the top job for a short time and done nothing. In fact what he done as a manager for 10 games more or less proved he was either having too much influence as a coach the last two years, or he really really did not step up to the job when required.

Which would still force the question, what is his role in the club then? Does he drop all the way back down to a squad coach? that's 2 steps backwards for the guy, shows very little ambition in himself.

I would really worry if we force a prominent assistant on to Ange, one that has failed as being a prominenet assistant and failed as a manager here.
    Just what is it people think Kennedy has to offer to Ange for the next season?

Honestly the only thing we have is nice words from two guys, of which suggests he may be a decent coach far down the pecking order - I'd rather Ange brought in his own lackie than keep employing this guy any longer. For our sake and his.

seanm and Xatraps like this.
  11. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Would be very interesting to hear from Kennedy himself. He's been around for a good while now, you'd guess he would want to make a name for himself in management proper.

Will be very interesting to hear Ange's thoughts re his backroom staff.

seanm likes this.
  12. Heb Celt

He had the chance to put his own stamp on the team in what was effectively a 1/4 season with absolutely no pressure as the league was lost.He could’ve shaken the whole squad up by ditching lazy 1st team players and playing youngsters and fringe players but he didn’t he carried on Lennons turgid team selections and tactics.It really is unfathomable that he carried on down that route.

13. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    what's the betting he's still at Celtic Park next season ?
    and the next
    and the next
    and the next.

seanm likes this.
  14. Lewis Kerr

Really hope his * is out the door. Can't help but feel he'll still be leeching around though, "helping" with Ange's "transition".

seanm likes this.
  15. JamesM09

He sat and watched us concede set piece after set piece and done * all about it.

Went on the training ground every single day and didn’t sort it out.

He’s a * coach. A good coach would’ve sorted that.

16. john2061

Exactly if he's a good coach where was it in those 10 games and I hope it's not for what's to come everything coming out the club at the moment is * and mediocre and hopefully we don't get a mediocre manager and players in the coming months but time will tell .

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yes

18. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Think your right here mate :47:

As i said previously. I first though he couldn't get anything changed because Lennon was at the top & his decision was final. Kennedy got his chance to prove that & done nothing to show this. Players, formation, defending & results never changed in 10 games.

seanm and JamesM09 like this.
  19. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I was the same, I didn’t want him to get the job full time but at the same time was quite looking forward to see what changes he brought, was surprised to see the exact same.

trackebhoy likes this.
  20. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Exactly how i felt. Now i feel him & Strachan must go as they have shown that they were a big part of the failure last season. If Ange keeps them on it's not going to go down well with the fans & look bad on him.

seanm and AdamRS like this.