1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Recruitment Question

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Shelby, Jun 11, 2021.

Discuss The Recruitment Question in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just dont reckon it will be the big spend many are hoping for, more of a shrewd spend.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think there will be a fair few loans in there but we really can't hide from the fact that we need a tonne of reinforcements.

Also, if we were as close to Howe as we were led to believe you'd like to think he was going to be given decent funds. Then again, there was the rumours about him being unhappy with our transfer plans. So * knows.

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Interesting. Haven't heard of him before.

We should have as many scouts on board as possible, I wish the club were more transparent with stuff like this. Not many clubs are, in fairness, but it would be refreshing.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    My fear is it’ll be a big spend spread out over too much dross

The Phoenix and Dan Breen like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    People seem to hate the club using their contacts anyway mate, might be for the best :56:

Peej likes this.
  6. john2061

I believe the club is downsizing big time and we will see by the signings that come in and not got much hope for next season and if it comes true it should be the beginning of the end for this board .
    Still can't believe we haven't got a head of recruitment in or DOF and we could be I fear going by a old list made up by Hammond and that will be fatal .
    But I will wish all the best to the new manager as he's going to need it .

7. SuperZidane

That's a worry for me. I'm happy to get behind Ange but he simply cannot have a great knowledge of the English/Scottish/Euro leagues. Why would he when his Euro "experience" was a low league Greek team 20+ years ago and looking at the Aussie players playing in Europe when he was manager of the national team?

Clearly - he will need to rely on others for information about players in these leagues. McKay said that they already been very active on the transfer front. So where is he getting his information from? If it's previous recommendations from Hammond and/or Lawwell/Kennedy/Strachan are involved - why would we expect things to improve?

James Mc and john2061 like this.
  8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I wonder if he could tempt Tim Cahill to come here as a coach.

Heb Celt likes this.
  9. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think we forget Ange has a big City Group Connection having managed 2 of their teams so he will have his contacts inside there he can call on and their list of potentials to pass on as well as the contacts he’s made during his International.

I am not to fussed with calibre or player as to quantity 10 players which is about what we need whether loaners or buys is a lot to get and integrate in this period especially if they are coming from abroad with the protocols around COVID not to mention work visas, fck Ange isn’t even here yet. So recruiting within the UK should be priority followed by Western Europe then reaching outwards to fill in gaps further down the season.

I think we will start the qualifiers with what we have hoping to sell Eduardo and Ajer latter in the summer and maybe getting Moi back as well a Jonjo Kenny and one or two more loaners that come in quickly defenders especially

then have the buys come in later in July to start in August

10. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Full backs have to be the biggest priority. No * loans in them positions please. Be strange if he fancied Bolingoli. Hmmmm.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I know what you're saying in the first paragraph but I really don't want us to be relying on the city group for our scouting.

If it can allow him to open up potential avenues aye but it would be a bit embarrassing to rely on them.

12. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    As someone already stated, the city group connections are still there, but that's hardly a good thing. Man City are the only real force in the group and we can't rely on them the way sevco relied on slippys Liverpool connections during his first rebuild. It was shockingly *.

@Mr Shelby is spot on.

It's extremely concerning to me too. We were being linked with transfers whilst we were in manager limbo. Who was scouting these players? Who had directed these players to be scouted in the first place etc.

It smacks of the now infamous BR rebuttal "I don't need any more wingers", someone is making moves and as last season has proven in the transfer market, we NEED to get recruitment right if we want to be challenging after Christmas.

We simply can't afford to go into the start of the season understaffed or outgunned. Despite a decent spend, we got it badly wrong in the market last season. We have enough problems trying to compete financially without hamstringing ourselves further by operating without a DoF or a recruitment head.

As for the OP's concerns about recruitment from Asia, I don't see that as a problem, more of a benefit. I lived in Japan for a year and was really impressed with how they operate, especially at grassroots level.
    Their training methods are mental, high intensity and very technical, no off season, EVERY team in J1 and J2 MUST have an U12, U15 and U18 side by law. And a competitions at these levels are nationwide.
    And as you would expect, they are ridiculously professional. I never once heard of a player in the J league spitting his dummy out, or storming off the pitch, or being lambasted for attitude or lack of commitment.
    If we can get the level required from Japan then it's great news imo.

But again, how likely is it we can get ourselves a Nakamura and not a Mizuno? * knows.
    But there are certainly players there who could not only do a job, but do very very well here.

Guess we'll just have to close our eyes and wish for a good window, because as per usual, fans are being kept in the dark about * is actually going on at our club.

13. saltire78

I don't... I think he'll get about 50-60%.

If Christie plays well in Euro's we could be looking at Eddy, Ajer and Christie out for around £40-45M. If you think our board are handing the new guy about £30M to spend I've got some magic beans you might be interested in... :50:

14. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think a lot 9f people forget our best signings have been made for peanuts

Armstrong 1mill
    Dembele 500k
    Ajer 200k

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Can’t believe how good Dembele and Van Dijk are for the money we paid, if only we un-earthed them more regularly

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Good post but I just wanted to pull up on what I said about the Asian scouting.

I don't see it as a bad thing at all, I just don't think it's necessarily the right time for us to be targeting that market, going into a season where we really need most of our signings to hit the ground running.

I know its a Scottish cliche but there's also the question over their ability to cope with the physicality of "British" football. I say British as there isn't a huge history of Asian players being successful over here, only ones that have been, have tended to be the TOP players at the time e.g. Nakamura, Son, Ki and Park Ji Sung. Only one out of those 4 who hadn't played in a top European league before was Ki. And even then he took some time to settle.

They tend to be very good technically and fast but you do need a mix to be a success over here. The middle level players tend to stick to the central European leagues it seems, so finding the real deal might take time.

I have no issue with us targeting there, in summary. I just don't feel this particular window is the right time.

I'd be plundering central and Eastern Europe as well as Scandinavia.

Seán Mac D and LectersLuncheon like this.
  17. Sgt Neppers*

Need 1 signing in this week. Need to carry on the positivity and build momentum and that's best just now by a signing. Too much talk of people leaving. That'll sort itself, but we need to get a * move on.

18. john2061

It's now under 40 days till our first champions League qualifier and no head of recruitment in or not one signing made what chance has any manager got with this situation it's a * shambles .

19. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Are you serious??

20. Scubaroo

I
    I Think you'll find now that Japanese players, especially those that are on the fringe of the national team that are still in Japan, they are alot more adaptable than they were in the early 2000. They handle the physicality alot better.
    Seeing even the lower level japanese players that come to Australia, they are not put off with the physicality, the hard tackling, hard running, the fast pace.

It's definitely a market to exploit. But I really don't think it can until January at the earliest, definitely will be targeting UK based with a few continental players. It's whether he can get the key players so late, that will make it break everything.