1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I will add to this. When Terry Venables was in charge of Australia in the crucial game against Iran in the second leg in Melbourne, the Aussies had to win the this second leg to qualify for the World Cup . Australia was 2-0 up with minutes remaining till the final whistle. Instead of parking the bus and playing negative football to see out the game, the total opposite of the attacking football the team had been playing till then, Venables lost the plot. Iran scored two goals within 8 minutes and Australia was out ! Fans were crying in the stands ! Why this result ? Venables did not have an emotional investment in this team ! He was there for the fat cheque - win , lose, or draw. He was not ruthless to get the result in such a game.

2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Ryan is suspect on his left side and very good on his right. His distribution is excellent, both with his hands and feet. Laser like throw outs to his midfielders, and very good reflexes. Good reader of the game.

3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Shay Given was not a tall keeper but he was a * legend ! So was Shilton.

4. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Is he really though? And I’m being serious. Deila did have a full squad, but not many of them bought into his new ideas and changes he wanted to make.

Ange is getting a new squad full of his players who will have bought into everything he plans or he wouldn’t sign them (hopefully it’s not the board going here you go). There will be less player power to go against the changes he’ll make.

5. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    What's the Australian view on him and celtic as a whole

seanm likes this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He is aye cos as it stands we have no idea how much he is going to get to spend and how many players he will sign prior to these qualifiers.

Original post was about a legia style pumping. That would assume he had all his players signed by mid July for the qualifiers which looks impossible. He's not even in the country and it's 12th June.

2 best players leaving amidst that. Deila still had forster at least for a spell.

Throw in the fact that there's more pressure on AP because of Lennons showing last season and the general feeling around the club. It's a mammoth task. That sounds like a cliche but it really is.

seanm and Liam Scales like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic already have a strong fanbase in Australia, and support for the club will only grow as the country follows the fortunes of Ange Postecoglou in his new role as Celtic manager.

With Tom Rogic having been a key figure in the team over recent seasons, awareness of an interest in Celtic is already high in Australia. That will only continue to grow as the country follow the fortunes of the new Hoops boss.

“It’s great for the game over here because he’s going to managing such a big club like Celtic and people will take notice of what he’s doing, not just in the football community but in the wider sports community,” explained Paul McStay.

“Celtic is well known over here. A lot of eyes are on the English Premier League and the Champions League but anytime Celtic are in Europe they get good coverage over here on the TV when the games are on.

'There’s a big support here of Celtic fans at supporters’ clubs and this will engage the football community because they’ll want Ange to do well.'

“From a football point of view here, it can be tough to get coverage because of all the sports that go on.

“It’s a great country for all the different sports here and I think this will help the game even at the grassroots level. They’ll all be paying attention and hoping Ange does well because it’ll help the whole footballing community over here.”

And, like every other Celtic supporter, Paul McStay will be the new Hoops boss does well in the seasons ahead.

“Ange has had good success going in somewhere and implementing his own style and football philosophy, so hopefully he can get in and do that fairly quickly at Celtic,” McStay said. “He’ll need time to blend that team but, hopefully, it happens fairly quickly.”

8. Scubaroo

Let me rant for a little before i get to my point.
    Two ways of explaining this... in Australia youre either a football fan or you hate it with every sinew in your body (particularly in AFL obsessed victoria).
    The AFL has such a strangle hold that it employs more people in media just in Victoria than the EPL does. The AFL literally enploys the sports writers for all the major newspapers so that their is a biased against all other sports.
    So... the view on Celtic from non football obsessed people is most likely... "I've always wanted to go to Boston."

Now football people, we know Celtic as the big club that had big names over the years, that's probably not the same anymore on the field, but the legacy is still there.
    We know that Celtics had a very rough year, a troublesome board, now has an extremely depleted squad. It's pretty much a poisoned chalice. If it were a more orthodox Australian manager (that was good enough) i think we would be more concerned that its a hiding to nothing but Ange has something special. I think the Celtic faithful are open to that, although we know theyre skeptical and rightly so but for all parties this could be an amazing opportunity.
    Having said that, Ange has his detractors and for some it's justified, the NT struggled against far weaker opposition, his club teams struggled in the champions league, and others here in Australia had their own agendas (see FFA). Ange changed the system halfway through a WCQ campaign, alot of people thought he had lost it, but alot of people could see he was only working with that he had and making them better than they were.

I just can't wait to see the first few signings, because then we're going to know who made those signing and that will be a good marker as to how the relationship between board, manager and fans will be.

Noskeil, Graeme1888 and VT8 like this.
  9. VT8

The general public in Australia doesn't give a * about football. However, the minority that do is pumped to see what Ange can do.

10. Scubaroo

Oh man... i shouldve just said this.

Liam Scales and bagforlife like this.
  11. VT8

Sorry mate didn't realise you had posted, agree 100% with your post though :giggle1::giggle1:

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Good post Scubaroo. From a marketing point of view having more Celtic supporters in Australia getting on board, as well asin Japan, will be a good thing in terms of generating more money for the club re merchandise and media exposure.

DonnyCelt and Liam Scales like this.
  13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That was definitely NOT my experience growing up in Hobart, or when moved up to Sydney later on. Which you will concede one is in an Aussie Rules state, and the other is traditional Rugby League territory.

Admittedly, it's been over 20 years since I last resided in Australia and yes, I totally can agree that the AFL, NRL & Super 12 (15) dominated the press and media coverage pretty much everywhere - just depending on which sport in which state and that marginalized football for a long time, especially in the pre- A-League days, when the old NSL was all constructed upon ethnic lines, but so far as grassroots participation goes, football has always been highly popular, even if that didn't translate to publicity, media coverage, sponsorship etc in the professional game compared to AFL, NRL etc. But there were always as many football leagues, clubs & players there are there were for Aussie Rules, or either of the rugby codes.

At a grassroots participation level, the popularity could not be denied.

14. DonnyCelt

* it. I'm officially on the Ange bandwagon. Mon ya big beautiful Aussie *!!!!

15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    After seeing Finland tonight, I'd trade Postecoglou for their manager in a heartbeat.

16. Mr. Slippyfist

I'll sleep easy tonight with this knowledge.

Thank you, kind Prince x

17. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Their manager has never managed at club level

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Has an approach that takes into account the ability of the players. Postecoglou just wants to go full attack mode, regardless of what players he has.

19. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Agree, the exposure level was a bit lower unless there sas riot in the terraces in the uk

20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Give it a rest.

Liam Scales and thailandceltic like this.