1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I get what your saying about coaching being different than managing. We heard that Lennon doesn't do much on the training ground so by all accounts it was left upto Kennedy. He didn't seem to be up to it as fixed nothing as the head coach when we could all the problems all season. It's easy to give Kennedy praise for his time under Rodgers but he had Davies above him.

I think it's laughable calling him the defensive coach as clearly he isn't that specifically. In saying that, we have to take into account he was the head coach so should be coaching all aspects including defensively which was a shambles.

Twisty likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He wasn’t the head coach though, he was assistant manager. It comes down to Lenny. Part of being a manager is getting the best out of your staff, who will get the best out of the team.

And he didn’t do that. I’m not arguing in favour or against Kennedy because I have no idea what he is like as a coach. Coaches should be chosen by the management and just get on with it for me.

This nitpicking is something we never done and it goes back to Ronny blaming his coaching staff for me, we started doing it as well, buck stops with the manager. It his team, it’s his staff.

3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I meant head coach under the manager. Seems Lennon was doing the same as O'Neill done. Putting trust in the people there to help him on the training ground as he didn't really take part in that part often. The difference for Lennon than O'Neill he didn't have his own coaches but somebody the club pushed on him.

Under Ronny & Rodgers, Kennedy had somebody above him in Collins & Davies. Under Lennon it was up to him to fix any problems on the training ground which he had no answer for not just defensively.

I know your not trying to back Kennedy up the same as i'm not trying to back Lennon above :50:

4. Mr. Slippyfist

Coaches are part of a management TEAM.

Ultimately, yes the manager/head coach should have full and final say, but whilst the manager usually takes the big hit when results go wrong, generally more than none HIS management team shoulder some of that blame too.

As far Lennon and Deila, both of them took on the job knowing that their assistant would be their assistant. They weren’t forced at gunpoint into signing the contract, so they get no sympathy…

SuperZidane and trackebhoy like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That’s my point. If the managers not managing their team properly it’s down to the manager.

You don’t blame your coaching staff, it’s down to the manager. If you can’t get the best out of your own coaches, you probably can’t get the best out of the team.

Buck always stops with the manager.

6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    People credit Beale for the work at Rangers but don’t want to blame Kennedy for the * at Celtic :76::giggle1:

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    People credit Beale because they don’t want to give Gerrard the credit.

He’s assembled his own coaching staff that play the role he’s given them and perform it well.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Also, Kennedy’s won 5 trophies to Beale’s one in the same period. Would you say he gets ‘credit’ for that?

9. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    I liked the work he done in the marked stall in Walford aswell

10. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No because we simply had better players, for instance Forster won us the league cup, not Kennedy or Lennon.

SuperZidane and seanm like this.
  11. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I agree

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The guy Lennon brought to the club to make a difference was the difference? Don’t get that logic. We had better players this year as well and didn’t manage to win a treble. Playing really good football as well.

13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

There will always be a reason not to give Kennedy any kudos.

For all the abuse he took/takes either side of Rodgers, not one person attributed any of the success to him during that period when Rodgers was here. Now it’s because we had good players.

I’m not for one second saying he should still be here next season but the excuses used to belittle the man are bizarre. Fact is he has been in and around the first team for much of the 9 in a row and quadruple treble, yet anything good had nothing to do with him but he is a major part of what went wrong.

It’s strange.

Ciaran_67 and Liam Scales like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye pretty much mate.

I’ve said it far too much but it 100% goes back to when Ronny threw him under the bus. We turned on him then and not looked back.

* shame, I admire what the guys done after that happened to him.

seanm and Sean Daleer like this.
  15. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    You’re right that it’s obviously two-faced for fans to say that he played a big part in things going wrong but not things going right.

However, there’s a third possibility, which I think is the most likely conclusion: that he’s been handed a role he’s not quite good enough for, and as a result became a bit of a passenger: neither directly to blame for the disaster of last season, nor in credit for the achievements of the Rodgers era.

I dare say he made good and bad contributions in both Lennon and Rodgers’ time, but I’d imagine they were small in scale.

Indirectly then, for whatever reason, we can still say he played a part in last season in a negative sense - likely wasn’t a strong or effective enough part of the setup. Not his fault he was handed a sympathy job though.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    And this is what I keep trying to find out, what are you basing that on? What proof would you have that he’s not a good coach?

17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Out of interest Sean, why do you want him to go?

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I know it’s not aimed at me but I want him to go because I think it’s very important that a manager picks his own team and I don’t think it would be Kennedy.

Also, as fans we’ve got to that dickish toxic point we will actively hinder ourselves if he’s still here.

AdamRS likes this.
  19. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Kennedy and Strachan for that matter, need to go. Kennedy had his chance to show what he could do and failed. When he took over from Lennon he played much the same way with the same players and played the same players out of position, he also failed to introduce so called fringe players to see what they could bring in meaningless games. For that alone he has to go, he clearly has an agenda against some players, has his own opinions about players and his reasons for not playing them. With a new manager coming in he has to make his own mind up about players, he has to give everyone a chance, a clean slate if you wish. I dont think the new manager will get that chance with Kennedy and Strachan hanging around, he needs his own coaching staff and backroom staff otherwise he will be left doing it own his own and that is a recipe for another disaster season.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  20. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Yeah I find this constant barraging of Kennedy and Strachan from some quarters a bit bizarre and a bit over the top.

Liam Scales and Zander like this.