1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Interesting interview with an Australian sports journalist. Specifically addresses the snobbery towards each other from both sides, and also the 54 year old playing in Japan.

2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Tells us everything we need to know.

3. Mr Cleansheets

Well, not quite.

But it tells you a bit.

The big Viduka likes this.
  4. Scubaroo

The only aussie is ryan... i reckon I've made the same point 3 or 4 time already. No one else is up to it, not even mooy, mooy struggles under anges system just like rogic. They simply don't have the athletic ability.

VT8 likes this.
  5. Kiro Kompiro

I'm another blow-in from the Antipodes. I come in peace. If it count for anything I have read all 206 pages of this thread. Perhaps if I'm allowed to be so bold I could share some opinions on a few of the general points in the discussion.

IMO Postecoglou's strength is his speaking and connection with his players. They will give it all for him. OTOH he will be on the look out early for any dissenters who do not buy into his philosophy. Those players, even if they are the alphas or favourite sons, and indeed, especially if they are, will find themselves out the door quicker than they can unlace their boots. There's only one boss, and its him.

Secondly, his teams tend to be defensively suspect. His Australia conceded 3 goals against....Thailand, over 2 legs. Let that sink in. Thailand. We were one strike hitting the wrong side of the post from failing to qualify for 2018. The team was defensively vastly better under Van Marwijk with the same players, at the WC2018, and in a matter of months, better than what Postecoglou could manage in literally 5 years. His 2019 Yokohama Champions team conceded the most of any team in the top 6.

Unless he has defensive help, get ready for a a few 4-3 wins.... or losses.

There are NO A-League players worthy of a Celtic starting shirt. None. There might be some young lads, who might be worth a squad gamble but I don't know if they are any better than the ones already in Celtic's academy.

Postecoglou was asked to compare the A-League and J League. Thomas Broich was brought up as a point of comparison. Broich was the best player in the A-league in Postecoglou's 36 game lossless Brisbane. He said " With respect to Thomas I have 5 Thomas Broich's here at Yokohama...". He ain't bringing anyone in from the A-League..

As for Ryan and Mooy. Postecoglou over-looked Mooy for the 2014 WC and the 2015 Asian Cup.. Mooy was starting to dominate the A-League. There have been other incidents along the way between the two. Mooy ain't getting picked by Postecoglou. OTOH Postecoglou is a big fan of Ryan. Personally I think Ryan is too short, and his lack of height cost us a draw against France-other can freely disagree. His "worldies save" show reel is also a bit short.

J-League produces top class midfielders, good wing backs and wingers. It produces average-poor CB's, rubbish keepers and rubbish strikers. He might bring a midfielder, full back or winger, that is if Celtic's squad needs any of them

6. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    His lack of defensive ability worries me. We've watched all season as our back line has been a shambles, the thought of another season like that is terrifying...

7. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Could see his campaign kicking off with a Legia style pumping

8. TheHappyLoss

Rogic will be * himself

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The difference this time is our front line will know what to do.

10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I agree, 2-3 quality J League players to Celtic will put the cat amongst the pigeons. I would rather see them playing than A league players if I had to choose. A couple of good Czech players would be great also. Ange will not disappoint with his signings.

The67Sound and VT8 like this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    If it did i wouldn't be surprised as we have left it to this stage to appoint him, our two best players are leaving and we have signed noone.

Make no mistake he is in a tougher starting block than Deila, IMO.

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Probably been linked already but I'd recommend a watch of that. Interesting background he's had and it feels weird that he managed against Man United about 22 years ago:giggle1:

13. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I agree with most of what you’ve written there, except I think you’ve been a bit harsh on Mooy. Mooy was essentially a nobody when the 2014 WC squad and the 2015 Asian Cup squad(picked at the end of 2014) were picked. Ange not picking Mooy is not because they have issues.

Also on Mooy, I always thought Rogic and Mooy struggled to play in the same team, so I could see another reason for Mooy not coming unless he was used as the DM, to pick the ball up from a deep position.

Ryan is short, the only reason he has struggled to cement a place at the very top. If he was 6’3 he’d be playing at the very top of one of the big 5 leagues because apart from goal coverage his all round game is very good.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Kiro Kompiro and VT8 like this.
  14. SuperZidane

Absolutely - I do worry after watching the interview on ACSOM yesterday with that journalist who obviously covers the J league in a lot of detail.

He pretty much said that Ange is all about going forward and not that bothered about the defence i.e. if you score 3, we'll score 4. He also said something about how much running the Yokohama goalkeepers did in games since Ange went there - what the * is that all about?? . I'm pretty sure he said that, in Ange's first season in Japan - Yokohama scored 56 and conceded 56.

Rodgers (who is a way better manager than Ange) refused to be pragmatic and tried to play out from the back in Europe and we got a few hidings.

If we go up against a half decent team in Europe and Ange adopts this "if you score 3, we'll score 4" attitude, we could end up getting embarrassed.

Kiro Kompiro likes this.
  15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Ange took no Aussies to Yokohama and in fact sold Degenek, who was already there and is the Australian international centre half for his country, to Red Star Belgrade, soon after Ange became manager at the club. As far as I know, he had the Thailand captain in the side, and thrtee Brazilian forwards. All the rest were Japanese - and Ange could not speak the language and still succeeded !

VT8 likes this.
  16. VT8

Pretty amazing what he achieved without speaking the language when you think about it!

craigtheceltic likes this.
  17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

18. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    My point was that people where getting caught up on the quality of Aussie players when in fact it’s irrelevant as he never took any to Japan, so he’s unlikely to take any to Celtic.

It seems he’s smart enough to look past the nationality of a player.

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Welcome :ynwacelti

The best thing I like so far about what lads have said about him is he won't take nonsense from players... too many Billy big baws and lazy * last season...get them out the door Ange, we all know who they are

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Hi Kiro. Australia drew in Thailand to a good side in 40 degree heat and extreme humidity. Thailand's king had died and the match had even more importance to the country in terms of national pride. If the Aussies had not been so fit they would have wilted in those conditions in the second half. They stood tough and played to the end and got a good away result. What did you want them to do, roll over and get duck shoved ?
    As for Van Marwijk, he was a mercenary brought in to take over all the work Ange had put into the side over the campaign. The press put a lot of pressure on Ange during that World Cup campaign. They expected him to win every game, even the away legs on foreign and hostile soil in far flung countries in the east. How arrogant and small minded was that. Not only that, they wanted every detail of his game plan, pre and post match ! Yes , I will give up all my strategies and plans to the opposition coaches! Thanks for the trust ! Get real !
    There were faceless people in the background with influence waiting for him to slip up so they could put the knives in, even though he had the support of the fans. When Australia qualified after an arduous and lengthy campaign, there were monied interests who began getting nervous and believing the bullshit. They started to believe their profile in 'their world' would be tarnished by an underwhelming performance in Russia with Ange at the helm of the team. There were rumours that he would be sacked and that an international 'name' coach would take Australia to the World Cup. That is why I believes Ange resigned.
    Ange left on his own terms. If Ange had gone to Russia with that team he would have done well. With all due respect to Van Marwijk as a coach - he knew * all about the players in the squad and had no idea of their capabilities. He left out Cahill in a crucial game where he would have exposed a suspect defence with his heading prowess at goal , he was left out till the last few minutes. The Dutchman was there for the paycheck. He had no emotional investment in the players and their journey as Ange had.

VT8 and seanm like this.