1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Recruitment Question

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Shelby, Jun 11, 2021.

Discuss The Recruitment Question in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I get there is a thread already on 'who stays and who goes' from the current squad, but I feel like we need one to talk about who the * is going to come in and secondly, probably most importantly - who the * is going to be picking these players, as it is a topic which I am seeing in the Postecoglu thread already.

As I understand it, we have no DoF lined up and we have no head of recruitment currently. AP has stated that he has been speaking to the club about targets for weeks, so who is picking these players and scouting? Is there a list anywhere of who we have on the scouting team etc?

It's something I'm seriously concerned about, given we are already at 11th June. For me, we need a minimum of 10 new players and we really need to hit about 80% success if possible with those to have any hope this season, which is a pretty difficult task.

Already a lot of talk about what markets we target and the obligatory Japanese and Australian links are already creeping into the press. For me, the Asian market should be the last we target this summer, at least. These players will take even longer to settle than usual and we really don't have time for more passengers. If some insane deals present themselves, then fine, but in terms of guys ready to fall right into line in that 1st team I would like us to go back out to central and eastern europe, as well as Scandinavia. The link with Berg from Bodo-Glimt in Norway is a decent start (if there is any truth at all to that).

Again though, it all comes back to who is scouting as AP does not know the european market (I am assuming) and is going to need a lot of quality guidance. Quality scouting guidance something we have lacked for a while. I don't understand how we could have players lined up with no clear recruitment structure?

What are people's thoughts? Who do we think is picking players at THIS moment in time? Do you still expect a DoF to be appointed or will it more likely be a new Congerton or Hammond type?

Do we think targeting the Asian market is wise at this stage? How much do you think AP will get to spend?

Pls discuss. I hope.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I would have rather of seen a DoF come in before a manager/head coach, farcical this isn't the case it immediately devalues his role..

However, I'm kind of excited with the appointment of our manager, don't think it's going to be dull..

Would like to see Maloney as his number 2 and a mixture of players coming in from far and wide..

The job in hand is huge tho and leeway and patience are required with the new regime.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Mind we where linked that Juventus scout, Matteo Tongassi (not 100% what he’s called)
    I wonder if we’ll look at someone like him now that Harkin is ruled out.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Tongassi is one I thought of but I'd be astonished if he came to us now.

JC you mention Maloney and I agree id rather he was his no2 but again can't see it.

Scandinavian market should be getting exploited though.

Interested to see how much money he gets..

JC Anton likes this.
  5. Heb Celt

Maloney and Duff in as coaches would be a fantastic start.

6. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We still have a few scouts and analysts in the club who will constantly be looking.

If Ange had been in contact over the last few weeks I’d assume the club will the scouts and analysts looking into players he has specified, maybe specific players or players that have certain attributes that suit his style.

It won’t be just a case of hey scouts just find us some players you think might be good enough.

7. david100825

This has been concerning me, too.

We really need a DoF now more than ever given this appointment. The fact Ange might pick players with minimal oversight could set us back really far. This rebuild needs a high % strike rate.

8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can't see many dof sort of guys worth their salt coming in this late in the game and with a new manager just been announced.

It's all head over tail backwards *.

But something needs to happen.

There's a guy, jay lefevre who was one of the head scouts seemingly. There was a video posted somewhere on the forum a few weeks back as well.

My assumption is he is still at the club and is likely heading up the scouting/suggestions we are getting just now.

In the video awhile back, he talked about that he was getting more responsibility and was being allowed more staff for his department. Rightly so.

But what's happened since, lord knows as we have been very stale and quiet on that front.

He's a younger lad as well, doesn't mean he isn't good at his job, but he will surely be at the start of his career in terms of getting contacts and stuff, so who knows how far his reach stretches.

But he won't be the director of football or head recruitment guy, surely.
    Someone else above him will need to be in the door to oversee it all properly.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

9. oh bhoy

Peter lawwell could do it

10. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Apparently Lennon has an eye for a player

oh bhoy likes this.
  11. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Surely the manager and McKay will do their jobs, Ange will have targets, McKay will do the paperwork and negotiating. That system worked for over 100 years of football, the modern approach to needing a DoF is nonsense, a manager and the chairmen can do that quite easily in the early stage of recruitment. Which then allows time to get a DoF if that’s the way we want to go.

There is too much panic from some of the fans, we’ve literally just finished our season, yes too long without a manager but some of us are running about like it’s Armageddon.

12. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I think the manager will get 75% of player sales

13. oh bhoy

75 % rather than the usual 10 % ?Ange would hardly be that lucky

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would be hoping for that but on top of an already assigned budget. But I'm probably in dreamland there to be honest.

15. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I expect we will pull in 30M or so in player sales.

Ideally we will spend all that on the re-build but i cant see us spend much more than 20m or slightly over that

16. shieldsybhoy

I agree, I am slightly concerned. The new CEO, however good a businessman he may be, doesnt have connections in football - they were all with Lawwell.

On the point re Japanese players, I would agree, but if he plucks 3 or 4 of the best from there, it would be easier for them if they came over in a group. The 4 best players in the J League would start for us in our current state.

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We should have had a DOF in already, there has been absolutely no need to drag it out this long.

It’s either because we put all our eggs in one basket like the Howe situation with Fergal or we never looked at one.

18. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    Wouldn't mind signing a couple of the names mentioned from Japan but not to be relied on to make an instant impact and go straight in the team let them settle a few months and if they turn out to be top players like naka they'll be starters or they could be the next koki mizunos

19. oh bhoy

we are well on the way to £30m with £8 m (of the12) from the sale of frimprong,£3.5 from klimala,£1.5 from hendry .with ajer ,christie,eddy,bolingoli,bayo all still to sell ,id even try to get barky and ajeti out aswell we should be well beyond £30 m still cant see as big a percentage that you are hoping being spent

Dan Breen likes this.
  20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Suspect it will be in and around 40M, of which we will likely spend around half.
    I reckon there lots of bargins to be had with loads of players being released for free in England, pick up a few from Japan.
    Maybe something like 7M for a center half, similar for a forward and for a midfielder.