1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scubaroo

Its a non starter, its ryan and mooy (but he's still not suited) There's no one else.

Australia has a huge gap where there has been no solid talent for a decade, even Arzani, I'm pretty sure he still hasnt played a full 90 minutes of a game of club football.
    We do however have solid generation that are about to come through, Alou Kuol, Mo Toure, Volpato, Francois (2) Teague, Robertson (if he chooses aus).

I would just like to know who anges contacts are in europe. That first signing (that we know is of his doing) will be really telling.
    I know he has a friend who's a player agent in Brazil but has players in Europe as well, whether that's an option I'm unsure, visas and time would surely make that too tough straight up.

2. VT8

Kinda funny considering they both play for the J-League leaders Kawasaki Frontale. Weakening them to help out Yokohama to win the league as well haha.

Lebo and craigtheceltic like this.
  3. Heb Celt

Would be a big boost to the start of our season if he could bypass the quarantine period.10 days is a long time to be stuck in a hotel when there’s a ton of other things you could be doing.

Artorias likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

McKay’s comments in his interview suggest we’re trying everything we possibly can to forego the quarantine process.

Don’t see why the elite sport exemption wouldn’t come in to play myself.

scuzzy, honda and Heb Celt like this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Say the phrase ‘The Maestro’ to any Celtic fan and they will instantly know who you’re talking about. One of the finest players ever to pull on the green and white Hoops, Paul McStay’s 677 appearances for Celtic is bettered only by the late, great Billy McNeill.

Paul McStay is a Celtic legend in the truest sense of the word while, at heart, he remains what he has always been – a Celtic supporter.

He has been based in Australia for the past 11 years and, quite apart from being able to gauge the reaction in the country to the appointment of Ange Postecoglou as the new Celtic manager, McStay has also been able to chart Postecoglou’s career at both club and international level.

And he believes that Celtic have secured a manager synonymous with quality coaching and success.

Speaking exclusively to the official Celtic website, the Hoops legend said: “The people I talk to in the football world here feel Ange is a top coach and it’s a move he deserves after all the success he’s had in Australia, Japan and with the national team.

“Everyone’s delighted his success has been recognised by a top club in Europe. The football community here are excited by the prospect of Ange working at Celtic and the prospect of it raising the profile of Australian football in the eyes of Europe.

“I’ve been here for 11 years now and Ange is a name aligned with quality coaching and success here and in Asia.

'What I’ve learned in my 11 years of being here and keeping an eye on the game is that he’s a winner. Wherever he goes, he seems to have that formula and structure to his teams, and the way he plays brings success.'

“That comes from him being a quality coach but I think within him is a character who has that winning edge as well, which I think will be really important at Celtic.”

Celtic, of course, have long been renowned for playing an entertaining and attacking brand of football that also delivers success.

Those are the demands and pressures which come with playing for or managing Celtic, but McStay is confident that Ange Postecoglou has the coaching ability and character to embrace those demands.

I’ve seen what he did at Brisbane and the Australian national team,” he said. “Going to Europe is taking it up a level from the point of view of the A League and the Asian footballing world.

“What he’s proved is he has that experience and expertise and the mental strength to go and win things over in Europe. It’s what he’s been waiting for – that opportunity to go and show he can do it in Europe as well.

“He has that opportunity now and whether you’re a player or a coach, sometimes you need someone to believe in you, look at what you’ve done in your career so far and give you that opportunity to move up a level.

“He has that now and when he flies to Europe he’ll not lose his coaching knowledge and expertise. It’s just a matter of taking it up and level and maybe working with better players, and he’s got the capability to do that.

6. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic rolling out McStay to big up Ange.

I, for one, never seen this coming.

:88:

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't forget the fact that Nakamura didnt come straight from Japan and Rogic took an age to get to where he should have been and is arguably still struggling to get there.

Nakamura was in Italy at a high level for 4 years before joining us and had already matured as a player. He's also widely regarded as the best the country has produced along with Nakata so it is a tall ask to find real quality in that market IMO.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  8. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    I was speaking a few week back on here to an Australian fan. He mentioned the boy Tanaka. Young player of the year. I watched him then, if we get anyone from the J league, then we must bring him. Boy is a baller,
    Tough as nails and can run for fun.
    Also he said, who i do know of and use on Fm every save, is Awer Mabil. Guy makes Frimpong look slow. Australian Winger, another lubo, as you dont know if hes left or right footed, loves a goal. Some back story on the lad as well, he was in refugee camp growing up and now in champs league. Ironically he plays for Mitjyland, who we could get in the champions league qualifying. If we were looking at berg of bodo glimt in Norway, i really hope we're looking at him as well as hes in Denmark. Both would cost about 3-4 combined and dramatically improve our team right away.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    All the talking is done now mate.. Time to prove his worth.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  10. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange is here now and good luck to the guy, I see a lot of you good folk saying it's time to get behind him and support him.

What does that look like?

Renew tickets, not give him pelters? It's a genuine thought and process because I want to support him but I don't want to give the board a single penny which invariably means I won't be supporting him really.

Not trying to be a smart * here, I'm genuinely full of angst (no pun intended)

Mr Shelby, murphy88 and The Phoenix like this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    This is the dilemma I imagine for most.

We can't though, collectively, keep funding this board and in doing so telling them these cheap options are okay.

Because like it or not, Ange is the cheap option here.
    That's not his fault or anything and I think most folk will get behind him, as in giving him a chance without pelting him with criticism at first.

The board does not deserve our support though, and that means witholding our money.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Garrymac1888 and murphy88 like this.
  12. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    To use an obtuse analogy, big Ange is Ronny Deila MK II, but on steroids; he’s got more experience and a better pedigree than the latter. Interesting appointment, it has to be said. Celtic might just have pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this appointment. Hope so.

PS: ‘Big Ange’ sounds like a trannie that Brendan Rodgers has shagged!

13. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    10 days can be put to good use researching what he needs to pass the uefa coach test

14. murphy88

This is where I’m at. I’ve already sent my form back saying I won’t be renewing. I won’t ever direct any anger towards Postecoglou if things go wrong. He must think his lottery numbers have come up. The board have sold us short yet again, and that will become even more apparent shortly when we are spending buttons on players.

john2061 and Peej like this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There may come a time when anger does need to get directed to Ange, but that's not now.

And it will only come down to how he sets up a team and if he is willing to change and do the right thing when needed.
    May not always work, but that's a totally other hypothetical debate for (hopefully never) later date.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

16. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  17. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I would put an * beside curtis good because he got screwed over big time by newcastle medical tesm with his hip injury.
    Remember when angelo publicly bagged out geordies over this? I think he had to apologise in the end

HopeAngeDoesn'tFuckUp and VT8 like this.
  18. Gurru 991

Funnily enough, Einstein never said that. One of the more famous misattributed quotes .

19. john2061

The guy who was on the state of mind podcast today has gripped me with fear saying it's attack attack he doesn't do defending lol and the goalkeepers cover so much ground and go up near the half way line and have lost goals because they are so far up the park .
    So we could see plenty of goals at both ends of the park but doesn't leave me with confidence .

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Let’s be honest, managing a football team during preseason before the players return can be done remotely. He can meet staff and people on zoom for the first 10 days. The main thing is not being able to get in and evaluate the squad once they are back.

The big Viduka likes this.