1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Mate, none of us have ever managed at any level and know that’s not good enough for this level as is evidenced by this thread.

You don’t need to have worked in that enviornment to know that.

Same time though, if there are any excellent up and coming players out of Japan or something just now I want him to be all over it.

JML67 and Xatraps like this.
  2. rusty83

Fav Celtic Player:
    rogic
    I cant see Ange raiding the A league to fill his squad. The only one who could potentially make it is Maclaren. In fact Im sure he would bang in plenty of goals but that is if you can tolerate him contributing in no other way. He is a pure a positional, movement and tap in merchant. Does nothing else. I do cringe seeing total nuffies like Grant and Brillante mentioned though.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  3. Scubaroo

So just a quick question, are there any special dispensations for Ange to bypass Scotlands form of hotel quarantine?
    Not really sure how it all works over there, seems alot more relaxed than over here.

4. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    It's been done to death, he ain't coming..

5. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I am not up to speed re the quality of either the Aussie League of Japanese League's however, I wouldn't say no to him bringing in another Shunsuke Nakamura or big Tam Rogic

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I think those two were exceptional talents within a pool of mediocrity tbh.

What Ange needs is to scout players that will fit his system, doesn't matter what league or country, just players appropriate to his style. Something we've lacked in recent times - Lennon's team appeared to have no system, and the scouting has been scattergun to say the least.

If he's playing a high press, attacking game then we need guys with good fitness, pace and that are coming here to improve as I doubt we can attract a fully developed player with those attributes tbh. I suspect he will need to utilise our youth/development squad this season.

Wee Baldy and VT8 like this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

Really? Examples please, and don't include Arzani who had a ACL injury. Arzani was brilliant until that injury. Could've been very special and hopefully still might be.

The big Viduka and seanm like this.
  8. StevieBhoooy!

You absolutely certain?

9. Mr Cleansheets

Because Australian players are far cheaper than their Euro equivalents.

I'd have thought that was a fairly simple concept to grasp...

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  10. StevieBhoooy!

Kind of depressing that we are conditioned to expect budget signings and loans.... says so much about the ongoing philosophy at the club/plc.

I don’t expect a bargain-bin managerial appointment to be followed up with anything other than bargain-bin player signings.

CH4 likes this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It is a fairly easy concept to grasp, but then so is the old adage of buy cheap, buy twice. There is,I'm sorry to say, a good reason they are cheap.

I wouldn't be adverse to him bringing in some young Australian players with potential for the academy, to see what they can do going forward, but there a very very few Australian players that would be an instant hit in our first team, and that's even taking into account how bad we were last season.

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think anyone would :giggle1:

Naka was a one off, genius level talent. The Japanese guys definitely have the technical skills, but the issue tends to be adaptability. They’ve definitely improved their players physical over the last decade or so, but it’s always going to be a question mark.

Would’ve loved some of the Aussie players to arrive here when they had the likes fo Cahill, Kewell etc in the team, but that was a bit of a golden generation imo. Don’t see it just now. You’ve also got to contend with them buggering off for like a month at a time to go and some random Pacific Islanders.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  13. shieldsybhoy

Anyone got any intel on these two J League players that have apparently both asked to leave? Seem to have a decent amount of games under their belt for being relatively young. One is a winger and the other a defensive mid (we have a decent amount of midfield options imo)

14. seanm

If he doesnt dump kennedy and strachan for his own backroom staff we know hes a yes man HH

JamesM09 likes this.
  15. HopeAngeDoesn'tFuckUp

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Mate, you have got to be joking. The A league is full of players who went overseas didn't make the grade and took the easy option of coming back instead of becoming the best possible player they could be. To name just a few
    Josh Brillante, Luke Brattan, Jamie Maclaren, Aiden Oneil, Curtis Good, Garuccio, Timotheou, Stefan Mauk, Halloran
    I could keep going for ages. The last thing I want to do is * on the A league but I honestly believe that the reason fellas like Culina, Grella, Bresh and the members of the golden generation kicked on was because there was no plan b. It was make it overseas or play semi professional. The a league is a safety net that is stopping Australian players from reaching the highest level they individually can because its easier to come home than find the resilience and determination to lift their game. Arzani is the talent of his generation. Whispers and YouTube clips of him representing Aus at youth level have been bouncing around for years. We have so little Australian players to rest our hope on that his failure to launch has been tough for us desperado hopefulls. The lad is 22 now he really needs to kick on this year. Fingers crossed the acl injury hasn't taken much pace.

VT8 likes this.
  16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Maybe there is a Reason they are cheaper... Ange is not here to promote Australian soccer.. Starts filling our squad with Australian projects he will find out the "concept" of unemployment

craigtheceltic and callumrae1967 like this.
  17. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    A quick search of the transfer rumours thread and the big @Ché (thanks mate) has posted these.

VT8 likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That’s where we operate in world football. We don’t have the mega budget to make those big signings. Transfer fees are insane these days.

19. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Ange ain’t a daft *.

SuperZidane, thailandceltic and VT8 like this.
  20. VT8

Just a few from the top of my head that got their start in the A-League before their move to Europe. To be fair some have made a crack again elsewhere after coming back but not in Europe.

Goodwin – Sparta 2 years
    Pasquali – Ajax 3 years
    Mcgree – Brugge 2 years
    Brillante – Fiorentina 2 years
    Antonis – VVV 1 year
    MacLaren – Darmstadt 2 years
    Taggart – Fulham 2 years
    Mauk – NEC 2 years

The big Viduka likes this.