1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Wouldn’t be for this at all. I think we need to spend big on a striker to replace Eddy and bring in another on a free for a couple of years to replace Griff. I’d also keep Ajeti and probably give Bayo a chance.

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Looking at bringing in close to £50m in player sales from January. I see no reason why we can’t revamp this squad with 5 top additions and a couple of loans/freebies

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Ange will be the judge of those things.

Johnston barely played for us last season and hasn't been able to stay fit for a sustained period of time. We'd be mental to go into next season with no other LW.

Also, we might have 2 ball-playing GKs but they're not very good at their primary role, keeping the ball out the net. If he has any sense then a strong no.1 will be the first signing he makes.

4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The goalkeeping in Japan makes Barkas look like Oliver Khan so that’s my worry when it comes to him not getting a goalkeeper

5. paulm25

I'm fully behind Ange from what I've heard about his style of play.

Even during the Rodgers era, fans were frustrated at the slow build up play. But by the sounds of things, he will hopefully get us playing at a faster pace and more direct, even if it is a bit gung ho at times.

The fact he likes a high-press is exciting. I think our best performances have come from putting pressure on opposition defences and I've never understood why this was rarely used. Look at how we played and the results against man City, their defence never had time to settle on the ball which forced errors. Then looking at the most recent games against rangers, we would sit off and let their defence and midfield have all the time in the world to control the game, despite knowing how prone to errors their back 4 was. So hopefully we'll see an energetic, high-press again and taking the game to the opponents.

So what if he has never managed in Europe, and his PPG for other clubs is an irrelevant stat since the leagues he was managing in are, without question, more competitive (not necessarily better, but definitely not a 2 horse race). If anything, I think it's a great achievement to win a league without a high PPG, it shows that each week, the teams were having to fight for the win. I think most would agree that we didn't look arsed going into most games last season.

So as much as I think that the boards handling of this has been, as usual, a * show, I feel quite excited about the appointment.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

6. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I'm far from convinced Ange is the right call. But given the fact that he's here, in an environment new to him, what is the point if he's not allowed to start with a clean sheet? Those two are part of last season's problem. Forcing them on Ange would be criminal.

Crilly likes this.
  7. shieldsybhoy

We would have probably come 3rd/4th last year based on our performances and Rangers probably would have won it. I would say the overarching quality of the league is better than the SPL though.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'm a massive fan of Mikey but this has to be his big season now or he's done at us..

A manager who brings through youth, plays all out attacking football and wingers. Has to be his time to shine..

We need a quality player brough in though. None of the keeper's are good enough either..

Tommy25, Hammy89, Liam Scales and 3 others like this.
  9. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I thought Bayo had potential but needs more balls played across the box.

10. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Agree with all of this. We should be aggressively pressing teams in the final 3rd especially in the SPL where the opposition players aren't that great and will give the ball away under pressure. We give teams far too much respect when we should be going out to blow them away. Europe might be different (against the top teams) but as you say even against Man City the high press worked.

Tommy25, Liam Scales and paulm25 like this.
  11. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I demand XXXX style promotional ads or I am not supporting him...

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm not going to pretend I'm buzzing about the appointment, but I liked the way he spoke in the interview, he came across well. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

bagforlife, Graeme1888 and JC Anton like this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Watching this just now. Aussie documentary on his management.

Tommy25 and Rendog like this.
  14. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Zoom call intro, had we hired a more Hollywood manager it would've been a presser at CP, all a bit underwhelming and not the shot in the arm i think we badly needed to bring back the feel-good factor, but guess we'll see what the guy can do.

As mentioned when we learn the backroom staff and the calibre of player we will be bringing in, it will give us more of an indication about how serious our intentions will be ahead of the new season.

crazy-horse1977 and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  16. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Welcome Ange! Please stamp your authority on this team and the clowns in the dugout from last season very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  18. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So Howe was a red herring to mislead everyone in Scotland ,,,,, holy * the board played that one well,,,, they must have taken the bookies to the cleaners,,,,, all our shortfall sorted.

Good luck to Ange , you are a member of the family now .

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Let's hope Angelos comes in and represents the club better than the last raving, self-centred lunatic that was in charge...

20. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That, at least, I don't think he can fail to do a better job of. Donald Trump would be hard pressed to exceed Lenny in the self-centred lunatic raving stakes.

Mr Cleansheets likes this.