1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He’s so hungry for success in Europe that he’s not even taken the appropriate steps to make sure he’s qualified to manage here?

Ange has the support of every Celtic fan I know, but don’t expect us to be overjoyed at this appointment.

2. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Guys these absolute nonsense posts really aren't helping the big man's case you realise that

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

The patience of the fan base has been more than tested in the last 8 months. From refusing to sack a failing Lennon as the zombies cantered the league, to then taking 4 months to not replace him, all the while being strung along with Howe rumours by a contemptuous board in order to sell season books.

It's not Ange's fault that we're very thin on patience, but he's got to hit the ground running to get the fans onside.

4. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Really looking forward to see if he can impose his philosophy on us. High press sounds good. But in the back of my mind I've got a memory of Deila's team trying to do that agsinst Warsaw and getting tore to shreds. Quick tempo football with full backs and wingers getting balls in the box sounds good as well. It will be really interesting to see his recruitment too. Has to be left and right backs in. I'm hoping it doesn't go down the loan route like Ronnie's first season. Maybe O'connel and O'Connor will get a kick aboot as well.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    See this is the thing that a lot of Australian fans seem to be unaware of, or assume that pressure he’ll face here is in some way equivalent to what he’s faced in his career already.

He won’t get until January to implement fairly drastic changes that see a massive improvement. Rightly or wrongly he’ll be expected to deliver results and performances from his first game in charge.

McKagan likes this.
  6. Mr Cleansheets

I understand you're trying to be reassuring about Ange but it's this kind of statement from Australians - especially those new to the forum - that alienates traditional supporters.

Celtic is a huge club. So huge that its probably got more rusted on fans IN AUSTRALIA than half the A-League clubs.

Yes, Ange is a fantastic manager (in what he's done so far) but he will not have experienced anything like the crippling, suffocating, all-consuming expectation of Celtic fans and media and the endless scrutiny and doubt that comes with that.

Neither will he have dealt with the player/agent culture in Europe with all its private agendas that will make assembling and motivating a team utterly unlike anything he's done before.

On top of all that, he's got * all time.

These are real and legitimate concerns for the trad fans for whom Celtic is a passion that goes beyond anything most Australian fans can comprehend - the only thing that come close for us is 16 November 2005 (and you had to be there to get that).

So, I know you mean well, but don't let your Ange enthusiasm get you too carried away. He's * good, and I share your confidence in his ability, but the fact is there are important parts of the job in which he has * all experience and the fans' concern is totally understandable.

Dannybhoy81, Lupis and craigtheceltic like this.
  7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I believe the term is legacy fans :42:

King of Kings likes this.
  8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not a chance.

9. jj81

Tired of all these huns pretenders, look at them in the last week, lies

McKagan likes this.
  10. murphy88

I watch the A-League every week, and I can assure you, the standard is poor, and worse than the SPL. There is always entertainment in the games, more so than the SPL I will give you that, but that is mainly because the standard of defending is horrendous. You only need to look at the top goalscorers in the division to see this. Matt Derbyshire at 35 is the leagues second top scorer.

AdamRS and littlekennie like this.
  11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Celtic fans don’t demand elite but they demand a European proven coach because you might not notice but Celtic are huge club proven by having one of the largest match day incomes a club hampered by the league and size of country it is in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. murphy88

What a load of nonsense.

paulie walnuts likes this.
  13. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I didn’t realise that there were so many experts on what Celtic require in a manager in Australia.

murphy88 likes this.
  14. jambo_cfc

Just seeing he is expected too use his isolation period looking at transfer targets and coaching staff , if he gets 10 days to sit and assess what and who he needs then thats a fine by me ! Think it would need more than that but if its ten days too focus on it then thts a positive!

15. SteveyNico67

Are you from the future Honda?

What else is going on there?

16. SteveyNico67

So it’s good as confirmed then

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The matrix 4 was finally released. No bad. Stranger things is * now the kids are older than me and were still no allowed out the house.

SteveyNico67 likes this.
  18. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In any process of hiring staff, it´s common procedure to meet the person in the flesh. For example, not long ago it was reported that Desmond and McKay met Howe in London.

It would be interesting to know whether any representative from the club have actually met Postecoglu. Under the circumstances, my money is on that this hasn´t happened. Meetings via Zoom or Teams cannot ever replace the real thing. If it´s actually so, it´s quite staggering to even contemplate that the single most important employee at the club is hired without having made a proper impression.

There is of course the possibility that McKay have flown back and forth across the globe to conduct a number of interviews.

Strange days.

19. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

What's suspect about it ?
    We should be champions, best team in the country, miles ahead, making actual progress in europe and have a good constant stream of quality youth players coming through. We have none, of the above, the opposite in fact.
    This nonsense will only make matters worse.

20. rusty83

Fav Celtic Player:
    rogic
    Not sure I agree with that. If Matt Derbyshire played for Celtic or Rangers he’d probably finish second top scorer as well. Don’t even get me started on Scott Mcdonald. Outside of Celtic and Rangers there probably isnt much difference between A league and SPL clubs. I think A league has better upside though, less resistant to change and more willing to experiment with different approaches and ideas. The way the SPL is played today will be the same in 100 years.