1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Hendry

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Feb 1, 2018.

Discuss Jack Hendry in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The truth is with every one of these 'optiom to buys' in a loan deal, the selling club is always getting bumped as the buyer's only going to take it up if the player has excelled & exceeded that value.

It's a carrot for the loaning club that they won't be priced out in the chance the player is a success during their loan spell.

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A very valid point there I agree.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Yet it seems PSG have bumped us with their rumoured 40% sell on lol

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

True, I'm sure we'll see in the fullness of time what the truth is in that deal.

Personally I can't see how we've paid £9m upfront and agreed such a massive cut of future profit. I think either the upfront free was significantly less or the % is being overstated.

Gabriel and Sean Daleer like this.
  5. Gurru 991

I find it hard to believe that Celtic would agree to such a high sell on figure knowing full well that he was never going to stay long term.

6. Born green

From what I can gather (from wiki) is that he only played 15 games. Maybe a handful of others in cup games? Not sure. Which is an absurdly low volume of games. That is less than Duffy, Laxalt and Kenny.
    Even still, I hadn't written off Laxalt. Same goes for Kenny. If they hadn't been loanees, I'd happily see how they do under new management. Duffy is verging on 30, not 22. And was entrusted far more than Hendry. At his age, it's not worth persevering. But if he was paid for, I'd keep him as well.

Hendry just proved himself in international football against the Dutch. A far better team than any he'll come up against in Scotland. I'll hold my hands up if he has a nightmare at the Euros, but I don't think he will and we'll regret not giving him a fair crack of the whip.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Agreed. No way is the fee and the sell on true where Edouard is concerned.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  8. Dip 'n' Swerve

Lol @ kenny and duffy you cant be serious!

the dutch game was a flipflop game

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    As much as I wanted it to work for Duffy with us and it seemed like a good signing at the time it has not worked out at all and there is no way we should or I imagine will be making any inquiries there. On a good note for Duffy he actually played well for Ireland last night against Hungary and looked more like his old self. But nonetheless he just needs to go find himself a new club this summer and hopefully things work out for him that way.

10. Born green

Obviously I don't want to sign either of those players. It wasn't me that brought them up. The loan aspect made the decision easy. But if we'd bought them, I wouldn't be pushing them out the door. If we expected instant brilliance from all our players, half of the clubs icons in the modern era wouldn't have made it here e.g Samaras, Brown et al

Not really sure what you mean by a flip flop game, but Hendry was one of the best players on the park.

11. Dip 'n' Swerve

did you watch any of our games this season, not even trying to be a smart *.
    a third string everton right back - who did nothing during his spell to even deserve a second loan spell - he was shocking esp in the games which mattered.

no one is expecting us to sign mbappe - but for any player we should expect the following at minimum:
    - knock their bollix in on the pitch
    - be strong in the tackle
    - play for the top
    - put your body on the line
    - speed over 15-20 yards and speed on the turn esp. our defence
    - be positive on the ball - all Kenny done was play like a crab - side or back pass with shocking decision making and * at marking from free kicks and corners.
    - duffy and his ac milan holywood balls into the stand - he was found out he is only good when covered by good players - wouldn't lace the boots of john egan.

instead of discussing these players I would more concerned in getting an experienced centre half who can help guide and shape Leo Hjelde who looks the best prospect in our books defensive wise, from limited viewing of Montgomery he looks like a good long term prospect to eventfully replace KT.

flip flop game - it was a friendly nothing in the game, lets see how he handles kane, foden and some decent Czech / croatia players. Anyhow water under the bridge he is done and we move on I wont lose any sleep over him.

time will tell...

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  12. Born green

I really don't know how we ended up talking about Kenny and Duffy haha. You brought them up. To be clear, I think they are both abysmal and am glad we only had them on loan. The point I was making about any Celtic player is that if we paid money for them then they should get more than 6-12 months before we give up. Thankfully, the fact that both those players were loanees means we don't have to persevere.

Regarding Hendry, his loan move showed he maybe had grown and could have been worth a second chance. But, as you say, too late now (assuming the reports are accurate).

I'll be keeping a keen eye on his career for Scotland's sake. Otherwise I'd happily just forget he ever played for us. From Celtic's point of view, he could end up in the same bracket as McGinn - a missed opportunity.

13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    So from January it looks we have gotten in

£11.5m for Frimpong
    £1m for Elhammed
    £3.5m for Paddy
    £1.5m for Hendry

And it looks likely we will get in

£18m for Eddy
    £10m for Ajer.

Released Griff and not taken any options on the loans of Moi, Duffy, Laxalt and Kenny.

Surely must be saving £150k a week through all that?

Dan Breen likes this.
  14. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    The board will tell us that money is to cover the losses due to Covid.

And then maintain the shareholder dividend at the exact same level..

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    More than likely. However, with £45m at least in sales incoming from January. Absolutely no reason why we can't invest £20-£25m of that and buy 5 or 6 top players and get in a couple of loans and freebies to bolster the squad. Unfortunately, we all know that's not what we will do

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

After this season aswel players are cheaper due to the situation. Hopefully grab a few bargains.

17. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

How has this not been moved into the ex player thread yet..... If he is away he's away

18. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Have you got the official confirmation from either party that we’re missing?

19. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Probably be in ex players before Broonie ffs....

20. Dip 'n' Swerve

the common celtic way these days, same with toney and mc ginn etc etc.

Hopefully something drastic changes, but cant see desmond throwing any money into the mess we are in.