1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for next season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Jun 8, 2021.

Discuss Expectations for next season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don’t know how people can expect to win the league next season. I don’t think any manager could guarantee us wining the league or would expect that because of how big a job and how * a position we are in right now.

Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp are two ridiculously successful managers and even for them they had to build their team before they got the success. And I think that’s the important part that needs to come first, we need to build the team from the ground up.

I know the EPL is a lot more competitive... money...etc. But unfortunately rangers are in a much greater position from a point of they have a structure in place, a settled team and tactically know what they are doing.

I know being Celtic we expect to challenge for everything we’re in and to win. But I just don’t think it’s realistic for next season.

We need to sign at least 1 keeper, 5 maybe 6 defenders, maybe 5 midfielders (depends on youth actually getting a chance) and a minimum 2 strikers. That’s at least 13 players, who need to adapt to Scotland, adapt to a new manager and a new way/style and tactics and you expect them just to win the title. I just think it’s unrealistic. And I’d say the same regardless of who our next appointment was. Howe included.

2. Goggzy60

Expect 2nd in the league. Hope to win.
    Expect 1 cup final. Hope to win both.
    Expect Europa League. Hope for UCL.

Honestly the rebuild might be too much for us too win the league this year but we should be able to stay closer to them in terms off points.

3. celtic warrior

The league title was not impossible, but the longer we've gone without any form of direction and remain managerless the less likely it is we will win.

There is still on this forum a lot of focus (rightly) on the rebuild, but never any consideration of what the difference would be to any celtic squad if we appoint a manager who has clear instructions, set ups, tactical prep and analysis of opposition and previous celtic results as well as, returning fans at some point in the season, huns not going undefeated two seasons in a row and by appointing a manager in the ilk of the above mentioned meaning, there is little chance we'd be anywhere as bad as last season at all.

4. MAP

I'll settle for players actually looking like they want to be on the pitch!

Toward the back end of the season, seeing some good (attractive) football emerging; any new players having been successful; and, Postecoglou having survived most of the season relatively intact (having coped with the intensity/pressure of the position).

The following season, I will be particularly looking forward to decent Europa League performances (or Conference League if it comes to that, and provided we make it!).

5. Jungle-Bhoy_1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rafael Scheidt
    How have we went to treble winners to we should be getting closer to them point wise, this is an absolute joke

crazy-horse1977 likes this.
  6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    My expectation is to win the league. Regardless of how bad we were and how bad we are run, I still think we can win the league. The * across the road will need to sell players as well so it will come down to how good our recruitment is and how badly the club want to win the league. Go out, sign 4 or 5 top players and there is no reason why we can't win the league.

Tomas and TheHappyLoss like this.
  7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We shall win the league. Thats my expectation. Anything else is a bonus. If we don't hes gone, and rebuild 2.0 begins.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  8. MAP

And what happens if there are points dropped at the beginning of the season, but the team is unbeatable through the back half and playing great football? Sack the manager and roll the dice?

9. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I will be livid at the board if we fail to win the league next year. I'm not cutting them any slack and lowering expectations because of the mess they have created. They want us to lower our expectations so that they can get away with downsizing and doing things on the cheap.

In terms of the expectations of the new manager, it depends what he gets given to work with and the amount of backing he gets in the transfer market. If the signs are there that he is building something and getting the best out of what we have and narrowly misses out on the league then he probably gets another season.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think anyone expecting us to win the league is at it. We can all hope for it, but we’re almost at pre-season and still have no manager and half a squad with out best players wanting out.

Winning the league would be a huge achievement.

11. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

1. Be in a title challange
    2. Challange for cups
    3. Qualify and perform in Europe

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

None whatsoever.

That’s a question for 2 months time.

13. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Start of another 9IAR but all of them being trebles.
    At least 3 of those seasons reaching GS of the CL.

14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Expecting disappointment, hoping for improvement, dreaming of glory.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Who's yer dealer?

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  16. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    League starts in what, early August. Let's say if Ange is in position mid June, then he has two months to do a quick assesment on the squad and identify what he needs, and try and get bodies in.

So first team could be

New GK
    New RB Julien New CB Taylor/New LB
    Soro Calmac Turnbull
    Forrest Ajeti/New CF New LW
    A lot to ask admittedly, but it's not impossible. We get off to a flyer and they drop points and the pressure is on them and we have momentum, something I always believe is massive.
    Think we need to drop the defeatist attitudes and try and get behind the guy, and hope if we can get back inside CP then we can try and be that 12th man because everything helps just now.

17. Buster

Having an actual manager would be a good start

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    cas79 likes this.
  18. SuperZidane

That sounds about right to me. If Ange wants to last more than 1 season - he needs to convince the fans that the team is progressing and will be challenging seriously for all domestic honours in 22/23.

I expect us to be poor in August/Sep - look at the state of the "squad" FFS.

However, if we are still as poor in Feb/March then we should be looking around for a new manager.

I worry that the muppets in the boardroom will not want to lose face so will stick with Ange for too long (as they did with Lennon) even if its clear he's out of his depth.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :biggrin:

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Yup, that’s the one. He was pretty much going to be ours the full transfer window on a bosman, fannied about until he got an offer from Liverpool final day of the window.

The Prof likes this.