1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Great idea mate, we don't want to get knocked out by some "non descript eastern European team" so we should hire a non descript Australian manager from a non descript eastern Asian team.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I partly agree bud.

Most certainly we should use our contacts, in fact having contacts in man city and the city group should work in our favour.

Unfortunately we aren't seen as a contact from them in an equal term and instead are getting the cast offs etc.

We then rely too heavily on that "system" which is causing us to be stale elsewhere, become lazy and inevitable where we are now.... Begging city group for help

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

When you order Bielsa off Wish

upload_2021-6-7_12-49-2.jpeg

JML67, Mr Shelby, Zanderama and 4 others like this.
  4. SuperZidane

No - it is advocating against our club hiring a total talentless thug who went out to deliberately injure his opponents.
    I'm someone who is prepared to get behind Ange and give him a chance - however, if he brings in Muscat, he'll lose that goodwill and I think that's not just me.

Moustache, SwissCelt, Crilly and 4 others like this.
  5. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Celtic will end up
    Andy maher would not know * from clay.
    A lot of journos surf forums like this for their stories in oz esp aussie rules journos aka andy maher

Wullywanbaw likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Again, 100% agree mate. I just don’t think that is nepotism.

Peej likes this.
  7. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Muscat? Seriously? F**k it! lets get Terry Hurlock in as defence coach. Hang on though, big Ange doesn't do defending does he. Prefers to out-score the opposition. Nurse!!!!..............

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It is when it has supplanted the whole recruitment process though.

The football manager is the most important investment we can make, Rodgers showed that and the various failures before & after shows that getting it wrong has massive implications.

A club of our size should not be reliant on suggestions from contacts for our most important investment, if we are then it's confirmation that the board aren't competent enough to run the club.

A quick look at who we interviewed for this role shows how unambitious and unimaginative we are: Howe, Keane, Lambert.

We deserve better than we're getting off these charlatans. They have no intention of changing their ways; however much they claim the contrary. Their actions this summer spell that out loudly and clearly.

9. JamesM09

You need to understand Celtic and its problems deeply to understand what type of coach many of us want. This club is run by a board that only want to win 1-in-2 titles and occasionally qualify for the European competitions - purely to make the bulk of the cash. Once they're in, they don't want any success because that would require spending money on players that can compete.

They don't look any further than 6 months ahead. The wait until problems arrive at the door before reacting to them. They never have a serious plan B (See Howe debacle, Lennon debacle as recent examples..).

We also have a huge problem with empire building and cronyism which has seen us stop looking for good coaches and instead just give the gig to former players who will remain loyal to the regime and can't get a decent job elsewhere.

That's only some of the serious problems.

Here's what I want from a coach/manager.

1. We need a coach with a profile so he can put pressure on the board.
    2. We need a coach that is experience at a modern club, or has experience of modernising a club.

Now I don't doubt getting a manager like that could be difficult, so here's an alternative.

You bring in someone above the manager like a Director of Football with experience of modernising a club. You charge him with implementing modernisation, including procedures on coach replacement, scouting, manager replacement, modern facilities etc.

Then you can bring in a good coach to run the team like Postecoglou.

To bring Postecoglou in and expect him to drive the sustained turnaround of a club is nothing short of madness. The only thing madder is to not recognise that we need to change this club.

I've said before, he can defeat a poor hun team but we need more than that. We're 15 years behind European football as a club. If Postecoglou is successful that's great for the next year, but it will set us even further behind as the board continues to reject modernisation in favour of short term success and their continued unchallenged power.

Celtic are becoming minnows in the long term and this appointment coming after Lennon is a massive step towards that.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I find it more unprofessional and a joke rather than nepotistic, if we hired Lawwell’s boy for it I’d find that nepotistic

11. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Muscat is a smug thug at that.* overrated player, coach human being

SuperZidane and seanm like this.
  12. JamesM09

No it's not.

That's like if Ange wanted to sign Kyle Lafferty and Kris Boyd up front and you said "* that" me saying, "Aw so you want Dom McKay picking the players eh??"

The solution is to not hire * Ange if that's the type of people he wants to bring in.

This shouldn't be difficult. Our board has had 103 days to discuss potential plans with Ange. It's not that complicated. When you hire someone to lead any sort of project you ask them details about what they would do in the job.

"What coaching staff would you bring in? What would their responsibilities be within your team? Do you have experience working with them before? Would they be willing to come here, would you need time to find out?"

See if he mentions someone like Kevin Muscat, you don't hire the *. Simple as that.

I suppose this is just speculation at the moment but if they're scrambling around with names like that being mentioned then we should pull the plug on this immediately and Dom McKay should resign.

Even ignoring this, it's looking increasingly like we are * clueless. Why are people sitting and hoping this works out like we did with Lennon last year? Running a football club is no where near as difficult as these incompetent * are making it. Why don't you just withhold your money and we can start to get this sorted before it really is too late?

13. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Read that muscat’s Australian coaching badges where not recognised by UEFA when he got a job as a manager in Belgium and had to work towards his Pro license. If he has that now then that will enable Ange to come as a manager and work towards his pro license.

Muscat had to slash through red tape to get his big break in Belgium.

He had to overcome coaching licence issues before finally being unveiled at Sint Truiden last month.

He said: “It was a bit of a nightmare at first because I didn’t have the right badges and then the virus struck and shut football down.

“I’m a fully qualified coach from Australia but UEFA don’t recognise any licences outside Europe.

“So I was in the situation where I was given the job but I couldn’t take up the role until I passed the Pro Licence.

“But we’re there now and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

seanm likes this.
  14. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    I don't pretend I can fix the problem. The favourit answer from lazy people who cannot get their finger out of their *. The same lazy excuse is used in politics and keeps those corrupt * politicians in power and keeps the people poor. Imagine the French were so lazy * and just said why bothering with a revolution, let's not pretend we can fix the problem. You said yourself what the problem is but prefer to be a passive muppet who serves with its passiveness the powerful. Slave mentality.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't know how much more nepotistic they can show themselves to be though :39:

Strachan son's both with jobs at the club - not at request of the manager at the time.

Lawwell's son being the immediate go to when the squad is looking threadbare: Boyata to replace Van Dijk, Frimpong in after Lustig left.

Roy Keane interviewed for the job on the basis of being Dermot's pal, not been a manager for over a decade now.

Dudu Dahan treating the club like it's * Stars, where he toddles in from time-to-time peddling his clients because we have a woefully insufficient scouting system.

The only club in the World that has a member of the coaching team unaccountable for any failure and foists him upon every incoming manager for approaching a decade.

We don't do appointments or recruitment on meritocracy, that would require some planning and competence.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Dip 'n' Swerve, JML67, seanm and 7 others like this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    muscat is a thug, 100% no on him.

seanm likes this.
  17. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I watched a video of him & can see why most Aussie's like him & think he's a good manager. Most of the posters on here from Australia just don't seem to understand Scottish football never mind Glesga football. If he is brought in which looks really likely. He will NOT get the first 6 months or even a season to rebuild. The fans want instant success from the off & even more so this season. It looks like European qualifying is going to be harded this season than any other season so the fans could be calling for his head before the season has started..

IMO if he gives a good showing in Europe & maybe is unlucky in the CL but makes the Europa he will get to the start of the season atleast.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Slave mentality? Hyperbole much?

And what exactly are you doing to fix the problem? Moaning like a little * on a forum? That’ll show them.

simpy likes this.
  19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Mon Big Ange

The Great Tarrier Reef...:ireland::ynwacelti

20. RockhardBoss

POSTECOGLOU VERBALLY AGREES CELTIC TERMS

Ange Postecoglou has verbally agreed personal terms with Celtic to become their new manager.

The Parkhead club hope to have the former Australia boss signed and through quarantine in time for their training camp in Wales. His club Yokohama F. Marinos are refusing to comment on the situation.

The 55-year old will need to quarantine for 10 days upon arrival from Japan while the players are expected to return the club’s training ground at Lennoxtown on June 17.

Celtic’s nine day UK training camp in Wales starts on July 5 and includes three closed-doors matches against Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton Athletic and Bristol City.

From Sky Sports Transfer Centre