1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    In principle I agree, I would never want to hold onto a player if they want a move. There's just mitigating circumstthid year, we're losing too many players already without throwing CM into the mix aswell. He's the one player we cannot afford to lose this summer imo.

cat123 likes this.
  2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If we get an offer for a reasonable amount of money I would be tempted to sell. Not because I don't rate him as a player, I think on his day he is great, but because he is stagnating here and I think getting close to burning out. He is playing an insane number of games for us and then gets Scotland games on top. He also rarely gets a full break in the summer to recuperate due to internationals and our qualifiers. He looks physically and mentally shattered to me.

I genuinely think if he keeps going like that he will burn out completely, we will see more performances like last season and we won't get the best out of him anyway. If he moves he would be going somewhere either they don't have European qualifiers, or qualifiers as early at least, meaning he gets more of a break each year. He also probably wouldn't be playing the same amount of games, and the games he does play won't be at the same pace.

So we either keep him and risk having him play at the same standard he was in the season just gone, or let him go for his own and our benefit and use the money towards the rebuild. Personally I'd let him go for the right offer with a hefty sell on clause as I think he would do really well in England.

cat123 likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This. Leicester have an incredibly strong midfield. Dennis Praet, a regular in Serie A for a few years and in the Belgium squad, struggles to get a game for them.

Also agree that he gets an easy ride from a lot of fans. Yes the manager last season was a dud, and Kennedy was no better, but that doesn't excuse everyone. Turnbull still proved he was a quality player in amongst the *. Ajer the same. Eddy was poor but he's been wanting away for 12 months and still finished the top scorer in the league.

For me, truly top players should still rise above the pish.

Lewis Kerr and Bobo_ like this.
  4. ddub11

Always seems to get in the way of things,no big deal if he leaves.

trackebhoy likes this.
  5. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    It's not a bullshit generalisation pal. He has been chronic.

trackebhoy and littlekennie like this.
  6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    He was shocking last season but he literally carried us at times in 2014/15 season, so he gets a bye in my book in that respect. But more particularly due to how good he was under Rodgers.

If we were to sell McGregor I genuinely think we’d be struggling to field a team

AdamRS likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's been one of our most consistent players in the recent era..

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Not being funny but you're going back 6 years there mate.

9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Prime Xavi would struggle playing 60 games a season with a technically woeful 36 year old Scott Brown to your right, and a *, weak and slow Greg Taylor to the left.

10. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    It’s not about that. He has proven more recently under Rodgers how good he is. The 2014/15 season is an example of how he literally carried us by himself so he deserves our respect to put it right because, for me, I would say he was our worst regular starter last season.

11. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Selling Ajer, McGregor & Eddy in the same summer is absolutely * disastrous for us, we can't replace them like for like so no matter who we bring in is a downgrade, and we are absolutely * chronic in the transfer market so we will end up buying 10 players to replace them with 2 of them coming good and then we will loan another 3.

This * wasn't great last season but he's an excellent player arguably our best, would keep at all costs.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Whys he top? He's been useless for ages. People seem to think he's great because Rodgers said it. I don't see it.

Born green likes this.
  13. Maestro 08

McGregor will come good again. I find it hard to believe that people on here can't see his ability. One bad season doesn't make a bad player.

Genuinely this place has gone to * the last wee while. Some of the comments, in fact a lot of the comments are verging on stuff I would expect from you know who. The Lennon thread being a prime example. Don't get me wrong he's acting like a bit of a * but some of the abuse is going way, way over the top.

The new manager thread veers from the mass influx of Aussies telling us he's the Messiah to regulars saying he's a complete dud. Time will tell.

The vitriol directed at every player and member of staff is beyond toxic tho and I'm finding I'm prob guilty of getting caught up in it as well. Time to log off for a wee while, watch the Euros and hopefully come back to a more positive forum with a better mindset in a couple of months. HH :shamrock:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  14. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I actually rate Calmac but he’s got to be used in a more dynamic role chipping in with goals. If he’s played as cdm I think he’s wasted.

If he wants to stay and is up for the challenge then I’d keep him but if he wants to test himself in the EPL we need to cash out and bring in players that are hungry and want to be here. We should never have players here that want to be elsewhere again.

MagicBallBhoy and ladbroke8 like this.
  15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Simply because we are losing our top players this summer, the rebuild is big enough as it is without losing him aswell.

16. wulliebad

The sale needs to stop at some point,we are already losing 4 loan players from the first 11 add to that ajer and eddy and maybe super shot christie and griff we would already need 8 replacements in one window.I shudder to think about the crap the board will sign just to make up the numbers. I would keep calmac and if he wants away next window then sell.

Forgot \0/ so 8 or even 9 replacements.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Hammy89 likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Repeating and repeating the same thing but if we’re to even have a shot of winning our Title back next season he cannot be sold under any circumstance.

The longer this managerial farce rolls on the more nervous he and others will get, however. We need a vision and a focus pronto, the current state of flux has festered for too long already.

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    The thing that worries me most about Callum is that he's look knackered for ages, and now he's playing in a summer tournament and won't get a decent break.

I hope that whoever the new manager is brings in a couple of quality midfielders and rotates them properly.

cat123 likes this.
  19. Born green

Spot on. He's been living off his reputation for years. He's an attacking midfielder that isn't good enough at attacking to play there. He's not a natural defensive midfielder either, which is clear based on how rarely he makes challenges or tracks runners.

He confessed in an interview a while back that he knows his main role is to pick up the ball and pass it on to others do something with it, which is why he can play so many games because his intensity doesn't need to be as high as others. (Paraphrasing, but that is essentially what he said) That is fine against weak opposition, but we need more than that from our midfielders if we want to get back to competing for trophies.

honda likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    For years? He scored 14 goals season before that one there. In a season that was cut short of games, where he was key to us winning a treble.

Years my *.

PaulM1888 and Callum McGregor like this.