1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. david100825

Given the absolute state of us, it's remarkable they've arrived at this guy as the solution. It's absolutely wild.

crazy-horse1977 likes this.
  2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

On the face of it, no.

That being said, the guy is clearly a very highly rated coach. So whilst it doesnt have the all hallmarks of an ambitious appointment, I.e. Well known, managed at the top level etc. He has some of them - won titles in multiple jobs, very progressive style of football.

The fact he's so unknown to us makes it hard to know how ambitious it is. But you're right, on the face of it it doesn't seem ambitious.

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think people have the right to be very underwhelmed if this goes through tbh.

I think he's a level above the likes of Keane, Kennedy, Ross, Lennon etc, and I'd probably still take him over Davidson, who someone was arguing for in the managers thread, but that doesn't mean it's not very underwhelming.

We're also facing a massive rebuild, he's not exactly coming into a squad filled with decent players, and it's a market he'll be completely oblivious to.

The only way I could get on board with this is if we brought in an experienced DOF and got rid of Kennedy and Strachan, yet reports were suggesting those two clowns were staying on, and we were willing to appoint Manchester City's loan officer as our DOF, with zero alternatives mustered up.

If it goes through I'll be 100% behind him, and I expect most fans will, but the angst is to be completely expected, hopefully he proves us all wrong.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I see it as 100% lazy. Ronny had link's to City I'm sure when we were needing a cheap appointment, and this is straight off the Lawwell's boy's link. Same as whenever we're struggling for a player and that same City link comes to the rescue. You think if we didn't have those connection's that we'd ever be hiring him? No chance..

I think all of them would be dull but safer bets actually and I wouldn't want any of them..

No much, no. I don't even get a good vibe off him from the bit's I've watched of him talking. Comes across an absolute riddy that the press will rip to shreds..

I dont know how anyone could come away from some of these interviews of him admitting he couldn't handle the pressure of the Australian kid's and think he could do something for us..

I stand by it, it's a disgraceful appointment in my opinion and I can only see it ending in tears....very early tears as well. Hasn't coached in Europe. Hasn't been at a big club or around real pressure from the off to win and win at all cost's. Has no plan b. Can't take criticism. Doesn't know the market we operate in. You could go on and on and on..

We're in the middle of one of our biggest ever transitional period's (no this guy's fault granted) and we're entrusting him as the man to get it all right. I find it astonishing that they're serving us up with this after the monumental capitulation of the 10..

bhoy81, xDanCFCx, Ewang83 and 8 others like this.
  5. Forza 67

Who are we to scorn at, we might have a huge fan base but we're not an attraction for renowned managers, we got knocked back by Eddie Howe, people can't seem to come to terms with our current position and face the reality. I want to know who the realistic guaranteed success, appointment is?

Mickmac likes this.
  6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I can understand your concerns. I think we all have some for whatever reasons. I'm sure if he's as good as the aussies (and japanese) say, then it'll be a great appointment. Big if though.

7. david100825

Did enjoy this analysis of his Yokohama side.

Got to think a key criteria they've used is experience of rebuilds which this guy seems to have and, *sigh*, Howe had as well. I'd rather a better coach and a good DoF to facilitate the rebuild, though.

8. James Gold Member Gold Member

Football is the 3rd or 4th biggest team sport in Australia to compare that to here it would be the equivalent of the Braehead clan manager taking over the Pittsburgh Penguins of course if you like the sport you will go and bat for the guy but even in the praise if he has an abrasive personality and no plan B then he's simply not the man for us

9. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Our new Australian posters have told us that he’s very fond of a drink, so I’d quite like to go for a pint with him tbh. That’s a positive compliment to the guy.

Just hope he’s not one of those guys that keeps telling the same story over and over again after a few beers. I reckon his would be having 58% possession in a pre season defeat to Man City

Cena and Xatraps like this.
  10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough mate. As I've said we all have concerns to varying degrees. I can personally see positives that I've outlined but it under no illusions that its not a massive risk, probably the worst time to take one.

Let's hope we're all wearing big Ange tshirts this time next year

McChiellini.. likes this.
  11. James Gold Member Gold Member

Genuinely how is he ? Is it because Pep praised him ? He's 55 and managing in Japan and had no experience in Europe aside from a brief spell in the Greek 3rd tier. 2 weeks ago nobody would have had a clue if he walked past you in the street with a name badge on.

Xatraps, The Prof and King of Kings like this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

13. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

We can all see this coming mate. Dreading the next few seasons for us

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    At least announce the guy so we can officially slag him ffs ! :56:

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye. I'm very much of this mindset too.

I've had enough heartache trusting fitba "experts" on twitter etc over the years so I'm just going to have have wait and see on this one.

I am slightly more for him after reading a bit into him but there's no getting away from the fact it's a cheap, last gasp option. So uninspiring.

James likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    There isn't any guaranteed success so that's a silly and quite petty argument to make. Noone is asking for a renowned manager. Whomever that may be. I assume you mean a top level coach such as Allegri etc. Obviously not, christ.

But there's no denying that we could have got someone who has at the very least managed a side successfully in Europe for 2 seasons or something fs.

I think we all know where we are now in terms of our rep and standing but I think at the same time, some people are going a bit far in terms of what we can't attract nowadays. I don't believe for a second we couldn't attract the Slavia Prague manager for instance. Proven in winning a league similar to ours with 2-3 dominant sides and overachieving in Europe with a budget dwarfed by ours. But of course, our board have zero creativity.

I'm not buying that a guy who is 55 and never managed in Europe and finished 9th in the Japanese league last season is the very best we could do.

Also didn't see anyone screaming for him as an option 3 weeks ago, seeing as he's a world class coach.

murphy88, Lewis Kerr, Xatraps and 2 others like this.
  17. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    This friendly malarkey :giggle1:

I remember we played pretty well against Barcelona in Dublin in 2016 (lost 3-1 ironically!)

Then about 6 weeks later they horsed us 7-0 in a real game

Peej likes this.
  18. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Aye friendlies count for absolutely * all lol

19. Forza 67

It wasn't long ago, fans genuinely believed we could attract Benitez or Mourinho, so it's not nonsense to call out what people's expectations are/were, it justifies the reaction to Ange, as if we have appointed the Tahiti Under-12's reserves manager.

20. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I have a good feeling about him. I do think it is insane that the board are doing this though, I wonder who it would have been if very few renewed their season books.

I feel from what I have heard that he must have something about him. The big backing from the Australians and Asian football gives me hope but it also worries me. The amount of pressure is already extremely high with our state and the size of the club that he's never experienced. He will have added pressure of all his countrymen watching closely and expectantly.

trackebhoy and MusselburghBhoy like this.