1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I just get a funny feeling this season was a way for the board to lower the share price, I don’t know how that would give them gains but it’s nagging at me on how on such an important season they mismanaged so criminally.

cat123 and seanm like this.
  2. celticdawg

Sadly for us Noskeil its been umpteen seasons of mismanagement albeit its finally hit us hard in a season that meant so much for us all .
    We should be out of sight from that lot instead of wondering how we can stay with them next season !!

seanm and Noskeil like this.
  3. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    I’d argue that it’s as much been about poor management at a coaching and tactical level then?

Totally get the frustrations, but it’s not even transfer fees these days that freak the money men out - it’s the fact a 10 million quid player commands wages that double that outlay over a 4 year contract.

We literally don’t generate the revenue to support that as a club.

What we HAVE done badly on is spending the money we HAVE spent in recent years. Some absolute pish that’s come in, on (for us) good money.

4. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    We'd be better concentrating on development and bargain basement signings with potential but not guys that will never reach the team. We need to have a department at the club that researches players based on more than just attributes. Too many of the guys we've brought in have a terrible attitude.

thailandceltic likes this.
  5. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Totally agree - barkas and ajeti are recent examples of just that. Barkas is a lovely human, but was all too much for him. Ajeti is a liability it seems.

The board agreed on the signings, so need to take blame, but that’s 2 “marquee” signings on our budget - so it’s less a lack of spend and more a case of spending it shitely

6. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Might end up being wrong mate but I don’t think I would write both players off yet , can happen sometimes a poor first season then a different guy comes in and knows how to get best from them, people always slagged Griffiths for looking overweight, always thought Ajeti looked more overweight than Griffiths

seanm likes this.
  7. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I can almost forgive the board for losing the season for us, they’ve made chronically poor footballing decisions but I’d get over it. What I can’t get over is the taking the Palestinian flags down and the statement that came with it, the signing a deal with Dahua, the blatant disregard they’ve held season ticket holders in with the so-called “added value”, the asking for money during a global pandemic whilst leaking info to newspapers and podcasts rather than being direct with the fans, the list goes on. The boardroom is like a cesspit, the longer it continues the way it is the more the fanbase will lose faith in them. Chuck the lot of them and do it fast.

cat123, seanm, john2061 and 1 other person like this.
  8. limezer

PL is a disgusting human being it just has the feel that he’s trying to * us over before he leaves.

seanm and greenockbhoy67 like this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I honestly have the fear that he will still be involved in the club in some way after July 1st.

He's a parasite and a leech, the relief when he * off will be unreal. But many try to linger on for as long as possible. Parasites don't leave on their own accord.

seanm, The Prof, Sgt Neppers* and 2 others like this.
  10. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Lol, decided to do some research on how long a CEO should remain at a company for (managementtoday.co.uk):

A 2013 study that tracked shareholder returns against chief executive tenure at 356 US companies between 2000 and 2010 determined that the optimum length of service was 4.8 years. Any longer and, on average, the company began to suffer.”

Peter Lawwell’s Celtic tenure: 17 years.

FrankMcCallum, cat123, bhoy81 and 3 others like this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye, he has well and truly over stayed his welcome.

Would be interesting to see how he compares to most other clubs.

You find the European clubs have their "presidents" and vote them in/out every 4 years as well. For this obvious reason.

seanm likes this.
  12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah companies need new people at every level regularly to bring in new ideas otherwise it all gets stale. New person comes in looks at the good, the bad and how they can improve and attempt to implement those changes.

13. JamesM09

He would’ve been gone the season they liquidated.

They were on for 4 in a row but had a change of ownership and put McCoist in charge, arguably one of Scottish football’s worst ever managers.. and they still gave us a run for it that season.

Lawwell was finished at that point but unbelievably lucky circumstances gave him another 10 years. It amazes me people can’t see that. His system for running Celtic has been a failure.

AdamRS and Peej like this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Massive failure.

As folk have rightly pointed out in the past, look what he took over and look at what he is leaving us.

His remit was always to get the finances in order and balance the books - we get that.
    But that was achieved years ago, we've been posting profits for 6 years or so at a healthy rate. And arguably before that he could have done things better to speculate to acumulate (in regards European aspirations).

But aye, he took over on the back of Seville, where we had been dominating teams in Europe, going head to head with some of Europes elite clubs and getting results.
    Took that club and has us now being whipping boys to Sparta Prague, Cluj, Ferencravos etc all on a too regular a basis.

That is his legacy.

15. murphy88

Who has been the person hiring the manager? Peter Lawwell has. He was the one that gave Lennon the job half an hour after winning the Scottish Cup. That decision has set us back years. We went from a top class coach in Rodgers to a dinosaur. Literally every single player went backwards under Lennon. That all falls on Lawwell’s head for appointing him. He also appointed Deila, and then didn’t give him any sort of backing in the transfer window.

I get your point about the £10m players. However, Rodgers didn’t only identify players at that sort of fee, he also identified a top notch player in McGinn, who would have cost us less than £3m, but the biscuit tin mentality cost us that signing as well. I would hazard a guess that was down to Lawwell as well. Another thing to consider is, had we managed to qualify for the Champions League more regularly, the money available to us would have allowed us to then bring in a higher standard of player. Lawwell has held us back from progressing.

We went out and brought in a manager that is on par with a club and fan base our size in Brendan Rodgers, now he may well have left regardless of the backing he received, but we will never know, because he wasn’t fully backed which then made the decision easy for him.

made in ireland likes this.
  16. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Agree 100% re McGinn - at the time was horrified, and of course more so now.
    Been some * AWFUL decisions made - for me though it’s been recruitment not funding that’s been the issue.

Money has been made available, but the hit rate in recent years has been really pish. We have got it wrong - the model of vvd, sell for profit, next was replaced by “kt, sell for profit, scattergun *”

but it’s not been a lack of spend. It’s been a colossally * use of spend.

I blame lawwell for that.

I don’t blame a lack of funds - the money has been used. Just terribly poorly.

murphy88 likes this.
  17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Harry Brady claims Pedro finished up on Friday evening, a few weeks early.

18. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Lawwell's the type of * to take 3 weeks annual leave then put in his 3 week notice.

19. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Out the door before any Angie announcement. Don’t blame him.

20. murphy88

A few years late more like.