1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I think it's so inspiring that our Board have seen what no other major European club has seen in his 25 years of managing that has led to our offer.

Good to see someone taking a chance on this young 55 year old new kid on the block.

2. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Yes I do and have done for over 50 years I also watch the European teams that play this style and I doubt ajeti, griffiths, rogic, Biton would be capable of carrying out that type of intensity high pressure physicality for 90 minutes twice a week

seanm and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

There are some posts claiming the JLeague is better than the SPL but I think most are just claiming the JL is a more competitive league than the SPL - which it is beyond any shadow of a doubt. I'd also agree that most JL sides would probably beat most SPL sides but to compare the top of the SPL with the JL is impossible.

To simply claim the JL is better than the SPL is probably not sensible.

To claim the JL is pish is also not sensible. It's different football from Scotland but high quality for all that. Japan are rated 28 in the world. Scotland 44. Australia 41. Sure the FIFA rating system is far from perfect but Japan is a serious (but different) football culture and very good league. Definitely not top 10 (as some have apparently claimed) but it's easily the best league in Asia and probably about 20-ish in the world.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's the difference in football that makes Postecoglou's style viable there, and not here. Japanese players will work hard, and have the stamina and pace to do it for 90 minutes at least.

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Wow Prof, your jokes have really gone south... Or should I say down under?

The Prof likes this.
  6. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Why can’t it work here? He just needs to implement his methods and a certain culture in the playing staff. Getting them fit enough to work hard for the duration of a game shouldn’t be that * hard. They are professional athletes, granted their standards have dropped criminally since Rodgers left but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marie likes this.
  7. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don’t really have much experience of the JL I have watched the odd game channel hoping on a Sunday morning what i did see was pretty average. However I have watched the SPL a lot and we have some dire football at times so I doubt it’s much better.
    What is different is the physicality in Scotland we play a faster game less technical and tackle harder which worries me about Ange tactics don’t get me wrong I love the fast pace high intensity especially when Barca are doing it and if we could play like that it would be fantastic. But I do believe we don’t have the players for that and the amount of injuries we would get would be higher than normal from tackles flying into us and it’s not as if refs would protect our players we would need about 40 players to cope with the injuries

8. Mr Cleansheets

Definitely understand your point but Ange cut his teeth in the ALeague which is every bit as physical as Scotland.

And you're right, we don't have the players for Ange's usual system which is why he'll do his usual thing - root out the deadwood and bring in the players he needs.

thailandceltic and seanm like this.
  9. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I would not be surprised if he tells us to ram it.

seanm likes this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Except, a good number are not. Other posters have, over the years, talked about the drinking "culture" in Scotland, as well as unhealthy eating habits. I like Griffiths' set pieces, but he and Ajeti are unfit as *. Postecoglou will most likely get them punted, but it has to be noted that Japanese strikers aren't renowned for their scoring ability. Will work hard, mind.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  11. Sgt Neppers*

If he's coming, let's hope he's bringing his own coaches and tells JK and GS to bolt. That's a big start. Gut the squad if any rot and dead weight.

Would love to know what Dom Mckay is thinking of all this. Can't see him being to happy with his time at the club so far.

thailandceltic and seanm like this.
  12. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

So is this the end of Rogic ? He deffo can’t cope, Ajeti, Griffiths, Biton, I doubt Barkas can be a sweeper goalie, * he can hardly goalkeep, my reservation is I don’t think we have the time or the money for sweeping changes if he had been here in Feb then he would have all this pinned down but he will barley have a fortnight after waiting for licenses and isolating from COVID

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. Scubaroo

I don't think the physicality of scotland will be an issue for Anges style, he honed his managerial style in Australia across the NSL and A-League which is every bit as physical (id say Australia is more physical) with the limited resources in Australia with the salary cap and marquee players he was able to negate the physicality whilst playing their own style, not to mention that Anges teams have never been afraid of the argy bargy.

Lebo likes this.
  14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Can our players run? Yes.

If they don't run hard enough in training do they play? No.

If they want a good career they will now have to run harder? Yes.

Sorted. Anyone of our players can play better than those japanese/Australians that he managed to coach into that style. So I don't believe "we don't have the players for it" when the majority managed it with Rodgers.

cat123 and seanm like this.
  15. Mr Cleansheets

As I said in an earlier post, Rogic will get no favours for having been a key player in Ange's Oz team. Ange rips out anyone who can't cope with his system and there's no way Rogic is a 90 minute player in that system. His only chance of staying is if Ange rates him high enough to be an option against tiring legs in the last 20.

Ange's teams do tend to tire the opposition so late subs are a major weapon.

16. Mr Cleansheets

One of the Scots in my Australian O45 team (massive Bhoy) told me today I didn't have a * clue.

He's probably right.

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Watched the age of ange they see him as the guy that changed the Australian national team why I liked was he went off his own back and scouted players in foreign countries that he could use credited with bringing luongo to their national team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. SteveyNico67

From all we know now, potential incoming Ange is streets ahead of The Eddie Howe Gulp gulp bottle it job.

If you can actually read, that is

19. wulliebad

But there is nothing to stop him signing hard working players for celtic that will have or can be built into them the pace and stamina for his style of play. I suspect in two seasons time there will be no one left from the 9 iar team.

Lebo and Breathnach67 like this.
  20. RockhardBoss

Anyone know what the wages are like in the J-League and if there are any players we should be interested in there?