1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Free the Adblock, seanm, Cena and 2 others like this.
  2. Maestro 08

My point is the Pro licence is nonsense when the guy is clearly able to do this coaching thing and has years of experience. What else is it for, do you learn how to cook up a lasagne for team meetings. Everything in it he will know and have done hundreds of times.

seanm likes this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I genuinely don’t care in the slightest about the coaching badges. I tend to take the Aussie opinion on him with a healthy degree of skepticism though.

I think what you’re seeing is people mainly just being exasperated by the whole process. It was very clear who the board wanted. In most fans minds it was seemingly a done deal. For that to fall through after months of waiting left a lot of people justifiably very frustrated.

We were led to believe there would be a complete overhaul of things at Celtic, and it doesn’t appear as though that’s going to be the case. We’ll be taking a manager who wasn’t our first choice and has never done anything remotely similar to the rebuilding job that is currently required here. I don’t blame Ange for any of that, but I can definitely see why the fans at a bit less than delighted at the prospect of an 11th hour u-turn only to sign someone with connections to the board. For the Howe move to have fallen through
    due to a lack of vision is just the icing on the cake.

5. James Gold Member Gold Member

Can we also park this idea that because he won the A and J leagues he should be given a shot. Ronny won the league in Norway, Mowbray won the championship, Pedro has won titles in Mexico, Paul Le Guen won numerous titles in France and Roberto Di Matteo won the biggest prize in club football an that's just off the top of my head it is possible for bad managers to win things

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Eddie Howe won less than 50% of games at Bournemouth and Burnley. Moyes won less than 50% at Everton and West Ham, Rodgers won just about 50% at Liverpool and Leicester. Emery has about 50% across his career, the only outlier being PSG. Now obviously these guys were operating at a higher level so I'm not directly comparing, but point is that 50% win ratio is good going when you're not a big fish in a small pond at club level.

Your Baxter comparison is fair. But what's your point? Is Baxter a bad manager?

7. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    Listening to the Acsom podcast. Tony the ex newspaper journo hack, "Ange is that unheard of he wont be even known in his own house"
    This creep has a platform, i suppose this is what a majority of fans think like though. Revert to personal insults on someone they have no oppinion on or idea about.

They were then asked who they would take. The responses were Clarke, Keane and Mark Hughes.

For that alone, i genuinely hope he comes in and rams every word down every naysayers throat and makes us a success.

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Win % is an absolutely pointless stat to look at without context. Eddie Howe had a win percentage of 40% at Bournemouth. 143/356.

Mickmac, seanm and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Probably harsh on Le Guen, he was actually phenomenal at Lyon. Rangers just completely ruined the guy :56:

Valhalla likes this.
  10. Mr Cleansheets

Not all the time though and in so many different places.

Ange is a brilliant manager. The only question for me is whether he'll cope with the distractions of split board, toxic backroom, predatory media, disgruntled fans, players needing to learn a new system and having * all time to do it.

She'll be right.

11. Maestro 08

Strachan, Lennon and Rodgers didn't have a trophy in management between them and they left here dripping in silverware. Doesn't really prove anything either way by the looks of it.

VT8 likes this.
  12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Whether you think he deserves a shot or is good enough for us aside - I think most would rather someone else, including myself - what makes anyone think this guy is a "bad manager"? I just dont get that line of thinking

Peej, VT8 and Liam Scales like this.
  13. James Gold Member Gold Member

I suppose it's a fair point about win %. My point about Baxter is that they have sort of similar careers in terms that they have had success in obscure countries and also at international level but the point in the comparison is that I keep reading here and on twitter about how nobody wants him as he is an Aussie which is nonsense so I'm pointing out that nobody would be clambering to get Baxter either so it is clearly to do with their history and not nationality

VT8 likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It’s an odd line of reasoning to go down. It looks like an argument against experienced winners.

Slaw likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Who’s been saying they don’t want him cos he’s an Aussie?

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not saying he is a bad manager in reality I have very little idea about him as I had never heard of him til Friday like the majority of us but I don't hold much water in the fact he won the league in Japan and Australia bigger and better names have came to Scotland and flopped. Some of us seem to be putting the A and J league on a pedestal for some reason if you look on paper Di Matteo winning the champions league along blows this guy out the water but nobody would take Di Matteo.

Basically what I'm saying is there is some amount of * polishing being done.

17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't care about the plan b aspect. Watching Leeds, if we played as exciting football as them, I would be over the moon. Rather lose the odd game playing exciting gung ho stuff than the drab * we put up with last season. * Europe as well.

All aboard the Ange express.

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

Slaw for one and a few of the Aussie members have alluded to similar.

The big Viduka, Cena and Liam Scales like this.
  19. Maestro 08

It's basically saying what he has won won't determine if he is a success here or not. Le Guen couldn't handle the pressure and he was a manager of repute, there are a number of decent managers that have come here and failed. The three I mentioned could cope with the pressures. He sounds like a decent coach, I think that much is clear but can he handle the expectation here. That more than anything will determine his success and from what I'm hearing he might struggle to do that if he loses his rag pretty easily AND hasn't quite experienced this kind of intensity previously.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. James Gold Member Gold Member

Shut it ... That doesn't suit my argument :giggle1:

Liam Scales likes this.