1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MAP

LOL! That a'bhoy!

I do take your point about there being some attraction in playing under a big name ex-player as manager. I think though it would only be a small part in the decision-making process for "Dembele", and the pro's of playing under a successful manager would be more significant.

I will however decline the invitation to acknowledge Gerard's success, on account it was associated with Rangers.:40:

Garrymac1888 and honda like this.
  2. Jukes

Its all good, I'm just giving you the low down on what to expect. For what its worth he can coach and he is a very good coach. There are plenty of world class coaches he has been up against and they recognise his abilities and what he brings. He would be a good fit in many areas of the club, especially developing the younger players. He is all about playing good attacking football and playing a certain way, looking to dominate possession, being brave and "having a go". He would never sit back with 10 players in the box no matter who the opponent. In fact he would look to go on the attack. Its a philosophy which would most Celtic fans would agree with, and rightly so. You are a big club you should be feared and never take a backward step, you should be the team imposing your football on others. This is Ange to a tee.

In regards to handling pressure, he has been in very high pressure situations ie World Cups, qualifications, Asian Cup Final and would be able to handle a high level job like Celtic. There is an enormous amount of self belief with Ange and he will command respect from the outset. It can sometimes be maddening but I also understand where its coming from. Some would say it is arrogance or ar least thats how its perceived. It will be interesting to see how he deals with the Scottish press who are at least more educated and nuanced in football compared to our sports journalists. Perhaps he has mellowed in that department but I suspect not.

If you gave me the choice between Eddie Howe and Postecoglou I myself would choose Eddie as his playing style is a little less adventurous and cavalier to what Postecoglou brings. However the decision to split them wouldn't be a big one. They are both very high calibre coaches and both would be a great fit for Celtic, its only because you have not heard of Postecoglou that half the forum is ready to write him off. Trust me when I say you will be getting a coach of the calibre of Eddie Howe and in all honesty Celtic fans will be thankful they got him. Its a solid appointment.

3. Scubaroo

My 2 cents on Ange.

He is polarising, you tend to love him or hate him. We've already had reports this week about how players react to him. Bob Malcolm despises him ever since Ange cut him from the Brisbane Roar, at the same time he cut Craig Moore and he thinks he's the right guy for the job. But on the whole players love him.

He won titles at South Melbourne with semi professional players and took them took the Club World Cup where they weren't Embarrassed.

He took Brisbane when they were a shambles and turned them into an unbeatable side for almost two seasons.

Moving to Melbourne Victory who were a complete embarrassment he turned them around in a season to just miss out on the Grand Final keeping in mind it is much harder to change personnel in Australia due to salary caps.
    He took over the Australian national team when it was rated as its worst in decades and made them incredibly difficult to defeat at the 2014 world cup and 2016? confed cup.

Taking over Yokohama his first season they finished mid table but scored the 2nd? most goals for the season however they won the league with open attacking football and were rated the best club in Europe going into the next seasons champions league. The following season i think they condensed something like 14 games in 7 weeks, plus travelling for champions league to qatar, he even stated his gamestyle wasnt suited to the way the schedule was formed in such short notice. (They were really gunning for the champions league)

There's always been this myth that his teams just try to outscore the opposition rather than having a tight defence, this is not the case, the years he's won titles he's scored the most and conceded the least or as close to.

People say he's sensitive when it comes to the media, people point to his interview with Craig foster (youtube it) then others claim him walking on the eve of world cup, he walked because the FFA wouldn't support him, he expects and needs everyone in the inner sanctum to buy if, when he changed the national team playing style during WC Qualifying the FFA didn't like and they fed the media, it was a disgrace but these snipers had been after him for a decade, he did his job then left. Maybe it was the wrong thing but i wouldn't call it being sensitive.

He is not a yes man, and if he doesn't like the terms, he won't take the job.

As for his staff, in Japan he took Arthur Pappas and Peter Cklamovski i don't forsee either going with him however, Pappas left his managing role in Japan due to personal reasons last week. With Australia notably he worked with Craig Moore, who i think is back living in the UK and a bloke named Josep Gombau who has very good ties with Barcelona. He notably has Kevin Muscat as an assistant at Melbourne Victory and is now out of a job and fulfilling his badges in Europe. There is also talk that Thomas Broich could potentially be his choice as an assistant.

As for attracting signing, someone said who would dembele choose if he had the choice between Ange and Gerrard, implying that he choose Gerrard because of who he is, Ange wouldn't get into that situation he's too intelligent. He'll only sign a player if they are in it for the vision and id suggest he will have a pretty decent network to play with as well.
    He won't be overawed by the situation, he just isn't that kind of guy.

4. Celtic Bhoy 94

Fs you're filling me with false hope & confidence now

seanm likes this.
  5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Positives:
    • He's won league titles
    • Plays attacking football
    • Big on fitness and professionalism
    • The Aussies rate him very highly
    Negatives:
    • He's not Eddie Howe
    • The board are incompetent
    • We've wasted 3 going on 4 months
    • He's a Lawwell appointment

6. Jukes

When we started playing with 3 at the back for the national team he didn't install any confidence in me either. I still don't like it, but the * wasn't listening to me no matter how hard I yelled at the TV :biggrin:

Celtic Bhoy 94, VT8 and Liam Scales like this.
  7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Correction he’s a fergal Harkin appointment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liam Scales, honda and seanm like this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Its been so negative for so long I think I might just jump aboard the "best manager in the world ever created and shall win the champions league because he's from australia" train.

All aboard! :56:

9. DonnyCelt

Who's a friend of Lawwell jnr who takes orders from his da.

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Is he even in the door?

11. jambo_cfc

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. reillers88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    As long as he doesn't bring Craig Moore or Kevin * Muscat with him........ Could you imagine 2 ex huns involved with us??

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The board have not waited 3 or 4 months, they've waited since September/October. September showed telling signs and by October we were getting * over in Europa league and * league results. The club should have acted then.

thailandceltic likes this.
  14. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

If its true that he doesnt even have the basic A and B European licence then this is another truly * up by the board. Tracking for months they said, really? and they missed this? We are now in desperate mode, not getting Howe to sign 3 months ago is really starting to bite. There will be an announcement soon, but it wont be Ange, it will be Kennedy after "must interest and consideration" !!!

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    In fairness nowadays players are attracted by money, if we had Mickey Mouse in charge but we're offering more money than anyway else a player would sign for us.

I don't buy into the players are attracted by the manager, not in the modern game..

16. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Don't give a * if they're the right guys for the job (not saying they are). Alex Ferguson was an ex-hun - I'd have taken him. They're foreign ex-huns - it's not as though we'd be bringing in Barry Ferguson ffs.

cat123 likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Both are died in the wool * *. Absolute Scummy *.

I’d prefer Ferguson.

ThatBhoyLarsson and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Really? Don't know anything about them tbh other than they're ex-huns.

19. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

With the way we've been operating recently I'd say around early September.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Muscat was an absolute animal and Moore wasn’t much better. Two of the scummiest wnaks to ever pull a jersey on for them.