1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Isn't this just false tho? In his something like 12 years in club management he's won 5 league titles (granted 2 of these were in his very early days in the NSL, the top league before the A-League was founded). And he's won a major trophy for his country and qualified for World Cup in the 4 years he was manager there. Its not really once in a blue moon he's successful. He's had one poor season with Yokohama, but they'll likely finish 2nd this year, which isn't bad at all.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People need to make up their mind.

We were told after Rodgers it was too much of a risk to either get an unknown or someone who didn’t know Scottish football or Celtic because of 10 in a row.

Now after spectacularly falling apart after taking the ‘safe option’ we’re told it’s too risky to make a certain appointment.

Just like this talk of he ‘hasn’t earned the opportunity to manage Celtic’. People need to look past CV’s. Style, attitude and personality are massive factors in managerial Positions, especially at a club like us. You could have a manger who’s managers for 40 years and won 30 titles in 20 countries but not be the right man for the job but a rook who’s never managed before be perfect for it. It’s not some binary measurement that determines who will be a success and who won’t.

I’d far rather an appointment like this than someone like Clarke, Keane, McCarthy, Ross etc. Who are everything we shouldn’t want in a Celtic manager.

3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What's your views on him, Taz?

4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Who wants him to fail?

thailandceltic and seanm like this.
  5. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I agree with your points in principle, and in isolation.

However, Ange Postecoglou is being appointed because we’ve arsed up our first and only choice and now don’t have time to go through a managerial recruitment process from the beginning.

Let’s not pretend we’re appointing this guy based on anything else other than a panic phone call to somecunt within the City group who has recommended him.

Peej, thailandceltic and AdamRS like this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don’t think the problem is it’s a ‘panic phonecall’.

It’s the fact that this is Harkin’s second choice appointment (after Parma took Maresca), yet the club were happy to put Harkin to the side to wait for Howe’s decision for 3 months. That alone tells you little they value Harkin.

You can be critical of how we’ve ended up here but also be excited by the appointment. Those points of view aren’t mutually exclusive.

7. oh bhoy

what is this guy gonna teach the likes of calum mcgregor who has been playing champions league football for years christ mcgregor is probably more qualified for the position.* any * playing in spl has been operating at a higher level than this guy has ever been.how the * is he ever gonna inspire or be taken seriously by anyone already here or likley to sign.this is a disaster waiting to happen a * blind man could see that

AdamRS likes this.
  8. Jukes

Its been a while since I have posted but with all the Ange Postecoglou talk at the moment I thought I could give a good insight into the man and his coaching.

First off I am not his biggest fan, however, I do respect his abilities as a coach and his determined dogginess. He is a big personality and you will either love him or hate him as his methods can be polarising.

If you are looking for fast flowing possession football with a large dose of bravery and a slightly cavalier approach to the game, then you have found your man. He will give you plenty of excitement and heart in the mouth action. This is the way he coaches and the way he wants his players to play. He is very much in the mould of Marcel Bielsa who he counts as one of his greatest influences.

There will be goals and there will be plenty of them. The unfortunate thing is they will be in both directions which can be frustrating. For me, his methods are a bit too cavalier and he leaves his teams way too exposed at the back. When he first started out coaching the national team he originally played with a back four which is my personal preference. However this was quickly revised after about a year in the job. Be prepared Celtic fans, it will be a back 3 with attacking wing backs, it will be helter skelter for a while, but there is methods to the madness. Be prepared for the team to press hard and to press high on the pitch trying to quickly win the ball back. All are common descriptors of how he likes to play his football.

Lastly, I will say when the team gets it and they learn how he wants them to play it will be a fantastic brand of football. It will also be a roller-coaster and while he is generally successfully in the way he has his teams playing it is a little bit too much for me. I would prefer he tones it back a little and plays a little more conservatively. The calls will come out fot him to adjust and revise his methodsl but he is stubborn. He will not yield an inch to his methods or the way he approaches the game. That is for dead certain.

If I can offer you two games that perfectly illustrate the joys and frustrations of "Ange Ball". The first game is a friendly against Ecuador where the first half we look absolutely invincible leading by a good margin until Ecuador come back to level. This was Postecoglous first match in charge of the national team. It offers a great insight into what to expect. Great game, great potential, ultimately poor result. The draw felt like a loss.

The second game I wanted to highlight was our opening game against a very good Chilean side in the Brazil World Cup. We ended up losing 2-1 in that match but I thought we played brilliantly against a very well coached and talented side.

Good luck Celtic fans. He is not exactly my cup of tea but you will be on a journey and a half. Enjoy

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    packybhoy, cat123, Jordann and 3 others like this.
  9. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    He's won 3 league titles in a 25 year career, including the NSL. His national career doesn't hold much water either considering he was facing teams like Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.

The guys had a few successful campaigns, but nothing to get carried away with. And he's definitely had more failure than success.

Taking this guy halfway round the world to try and rebuild Celtic from scratch because he won the Japanese league a few years ago would be the riskiest managerial appointment I think any teams ever made.

packybhoy, Peej, Cena and 6 others like this.
  10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Itd be 5 including the NSL. 2 with South Melbourne. 2 with Brisbane and 1 with Yokohama. But his real success started in Brisbane. Since then he's been a successful manager and thats not even up for debate.

11. jj81

All these feel good factor posts and positivity around the guy does make me feel a tad better but being honest this could set us back even longer.

Knee * reaction imo from the knock back by howe.

seanm likes this.
  12. jj81

In a farmers league aye , just like ours , get him in :D

seanm and VT8 like this.
  13. MAP

I agree completely. We just need a couple of players who have played CL and we can just do away with a manager altogether. All the top teams seem to be going this way.

seanm likes this.
  14. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    He managed in a World Cup, and qualified for another. Aussies on here have spoken about his motivational and tactical qualities.

I’m not 100% sold, but from everything that’s coming out about him, it hardly sounds like he’s a walking disaster.

Tommy25 and The big Viduka like this.
  15. Mr Cleansheets

16. Mr Hoopy

My concern is about the calibre of player he can attract - lets be honest not many wanted to play for Lennon. If he can't attract and keep a player then we are on a hiding to nothing...

17. spitz

He took over a side with Tim Cahill in it, Mat Ryan, Mark Bresciano, Aaron Mooy, Mile Jedinak, Matt Leckie in it.

Just a few hundred EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga and La Liga appearances in there, including a then EPL captain.

But what the * would he know?

When he went to Melbourne Vic he moved on Harry Kewell. McGregor might be qualified to unzip Harry's kit bag at this point of his career.

He moved on Craig Moore when he went to Brisbane, he only captained the Huns 02/03 treble winning side and won another 4 other winners medals there.....

The arrogance against Australian football is incredible in here from some posters.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    VT8 and The big Viduka like this.
  18. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Expectation,but 2 thirds of population would not know the ball is round.football plays second fiddle to aussie rules

19. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Stone the crows

jj81 likes this.
  20. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Let's say a "Dembele" from Fulham becomes available again. Does he sign for Gérard or Postocoglu?

We both know the answer.

Mr Hoopy likes this.