1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
  2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yeah I'm that guy.. :56: Asian football is pish.. I had enough of the other patronising Ozzie yesterday telling us how * Scottish football was and how lucky we are to have this lump because "Australians are born winners".. There is absolutely nothing you will say or any other Asian football fan boy that will persuade me this guy is the best we can do for Celtic.

And another thing, Celtic don't just compete in Scotland.. we play in the toughest competitions in club football. Champions league and Europa league, you might of heard of them.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    ede likes this.
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think there’s a single a single manager in the post MON era who wouldn’t have moved if an EPL club came calling. This guy will be absolutely no different in that respect.

Valhalla likes this.
  4. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Those are exactly the points that will cost us the title next season and gift them the 35m Champions League money and we will subsequently be in the banter years and the huns financially back on an even keel.

We don't have the coaches he needs to be successful. Not even a DOF who is working on the squad in time for the new season. The circumstances at us are so bad that I think it's a too big a task for him to deliver the title next season and that's the only goal for the moment for our club. If he came in instead of Lennon it might would have been another story.

5. VT8

Obviously friendlies mean jackshit but this is what you can expect if Ange comes in. Bhoys-elona. Screenshot_20210530_192451_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210530_192517_com.android.chrome.jpg

6. VT8

* me, I didn't realise * was that bad haha. Obviously I don't keep up too much with Scottish football and I'm only posting here cause of Ange, but this whole time I was thinking it was just an off season from you guys and the other guys doing very well rather than capitulation.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Friendly or no friendly, I don’t think I have ever seen Peps team have less possession.

8. oh bhoy

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It’s not that bad. Swiss Celt is just perpetually miserable.

10. Mr Cleansheets

I look forward to tasting your tears of joy once you perceive the genius...

Seriously, (almost) no-one in Australia thinks Scottish football is pish - at least not at the top. I am a Celtic fan and, while the last season was a * disaster, I was at least pleased to see there were teams beyond the Old Firm that were having a go. It gets a bit boring when it's just Celtic and Aberdeen or Celtic and Sevco. Great to see Hibs and SJ asking some questions - can only be good for the league in the long run.

Back to Celtic - I'm getting bored with my own voice trying to convince you to give Ange a go. Man's an exception to the norm and CFG wouldn't have employed him otherwise. The less negative noise as he comes in, the greater chance he'll get the latitude he needs to do his job.

VT8 and Sydneysider like this.
  11. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    They lost that friendly

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It’s Yokohama v a near full strength Man City team. Look past the * result.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I’m not saying I want this guy (although I am warming to him) but the snobbery in here is reminding me of EPL fanboys talking about Scottish football.

14. jambo_cfc

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Look mate, I hope I'm proved wrong, I hope I can comeback here in a few months time and say sorry mate you were right, fair play this guy is a great coach. I will have no problem doing that. I like every other Celtic fan wants what's best for Celtic.

There is so much anger, resentment and frustration at how our club is being run unfortunately this is about more than just Ange at the moment.

16. Mr Cleansheets

Yeah I certainly get that.

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Is "football snobbery" the new "spoilt fans" * we are going to get if we don't want what the board are feeding us ?

If anyone thinks this fella is the best Celtic can do at this moment in time for this rebuild, they are fooling themselves mate.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it

The Phoenix likes this.
  18. murphy88

Some on here starting to convince themselves this appointment will work due to people who support teams he has managed singing his praises. I’m sure the Stromsgodset fans would have had Ronny Deila right up there as well. It doesn’t mean to say they are good enough to manage a club our size though, and deal with the pressure that comes along with it.

The long and short of this situation is that if we appoint Postecoglu, it will be underwhelming to say the least. He is being brought in as he will be a nodding dog for the board. In a season where we are going to need our biggest rebuild in arguably our history, we are opting for a guy with 10 months of European football experience at a Greek Third division club.

The board are taking us for a ride yet again and some are falling for it again. It’s blind faith. They have ripped the utter * out our club and the fans. Their lack of ambition has chased Howe in my opinion and we are now opting for a yes man. I’m amazed people cannot see through this after what they have put us through this past year. This has got disaster written all over it. We are already majorly up against it for next season due to the board * about with Lennon for as long as they did and then by not appointing a manager soon after Lennon left to properly assess the squad. They need chased out the club, and the only thing this shower understand is cash. It’s unforgivable what they have done to the club, and now people are trying to sugar coat this appointment.

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

This is a good point. A lot of the anger is misplaced in here and is not a reflection on Ange. We were just expecting something more household you know?

In a different time if we had an established scouting/sports science/DOF set up then this might be better received.

Also seems to me that there would be no middle ground. He will either hit the ground running and go on to be a huge success or the thing will crash and burn.

It would be a wild ride though that’s for sure. Just don’t think that’s what we need right now.

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Having read up on him a bit I'm excited by the prospect of himself and Harkin. He's done 2 massive rebuild jobs in his career at Brisbane and Melbourne Victory.

"He is the only person to have been involved in all four of South Melbourne's NSL title-winning teams, the first two as a player and the latter two as coach."

"On 16 October 2009, Postecoglou was signed as the new Brisbane Roar coach, replacing Frank Farina.[19] Postecoglou started rebuilding the team by releasing Liam Reddy, Craig Moore, Bob Malcolm and Charlie Miller. Tommy Oar, Michael Zullo and Adam Sarota were bought by Dutch club FC Utrecht and striker Sergio van Dijk went to Adelaide United.[20] Postecoglou, who asked to be judged a year from the time he took over, proved the critics wrong by winning and playing an entertaining brand of football.[21][22][23][24] The Roar's possession based style of play under Postecoglou earned them the nickname "Roarcelona"."

"From the start of the season they have got better and better," said Dutchman Coolen.

"The way they play, the movements, the transition moments, are a real high level.

"It's a level that belongs in Europe.

"They're definitely the best team in the league."

On 26 April 2012, it was announced that he had signed a three-year contract with A-League club Melbourne Victory as head coach.[34] Postecoglou started rebuilding the team by releasing Matthew Kemp, Grant Brebner, Rodrigo Vargas, Tom Pondeljak, Ante Čović, Carlos Hernández, Harry Kewell and Fabio Alves, with Jean Carlos Solórzano and Ubay Luzardo returned to their respective clubs after their loan deals had expired.

So at Roar he came in and lost 8 first team players instantly and at Melbourne he lost 10 right off the bat.

I also remember them at the 2014 World Cup and I remember being particularly impressed by the Aussies.

The big Viduka likes this.